On a slight side-note, a thing I'd like to see in Deadfire that wasn't present in Pillars or, to the best of my awareness, Tyranny and most other videogames, is a movie-like approach to listing the voice cast in the credits, where you write the voice actors alongside their respective roles, or the most important ones amidst these same. It would be great so as to keep track of who voiced what in the game, and shouldn't be hard to add into the credits at all.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Just get Jim Cumming's to do some VO and I will be happy!

They are really missing out not having that guy involved dammit.

He got a really charismatic voice, and he really seems to love work. Since we're on the topic of voice actors, we'd like for PoE II, can we have these pretty please. ^_^

gIDs9Ni.png

Just hire Steve Blum for all male characters and Jennifer Hale for all female ones if we're going that route. I guess in a pinch Laura Bailey could be substituted for Hale since she's kind of typecast as Femshep these days.

Come to think of it, Blum has been typecast as Spike for 20 some years so replace him with Nolan North or something.

Edited by The Sharmat

I'm pleased we shouldn't be seeing more of the half voiced conversations, the first few time that happened I wondered if my game was bugged or something. Still the amount of VO in pillars was ok. I would have liked a bit more but full VO isn't needed. 

Full VO I don't think is always a bad thing, I don't think Dragon Age Origins or DOS2 seemed to suffer much from having virtually all npc dialogue voiced, I would say a voiced protagonist  causes a lot more limitations on the script. Having all the npc's voiced is more of a cost and time issue but I suppose it's probably going to lead to less big text dumps. Divinity OS2 has a massive amount of recorded dialogue, even the narrator is voice acted and sometimes goes on at length. Though there isn't much in the way of branching quests either, it is a bit more of a linear game than it seems to be, still there really are a lot of lines in that game. 

Full VO I don't think is always a bad thing, I don't think Dragon Age Origins or DOS2 seemed to suffer much from having virtually all npc dialogue voiced,

D:OS2 didn’t decide to do full VO from the outset though, and DA:O was quite a production. It’s not like full VO would kill Deadfire, but I am not convinced it would benefit it all that much either. Though I do enjoy a much more generously voiced White March.

I have not been able to get that request on a stream that David Warner voice Eothas out of my mind

if I remember right Josh just said "hm, not sure what David Warner is up to these days"

give me back my Irenicus I need him

yknow the real thing I miss from Baldur's Gates 1 and 2, voicewise, was the variety and character of right-click/initiate conversation generic lines from different types of NPC. the jovial "I can break an arm or a leg for a copper or two" from the toughs, the comically harsh priests who wailed KNEEL. AND. REPENT., the siege tank guards who WERE the law and who SERVED the FLA-MING FIST. those felt like they got a lot of attention both from writers and in the studio, and they helped the world lively and full of many different sorts of people.

Edited by crawlkill
  • Like 4

yknow the real thing I miss from Baldur's Gates 1 and 2, voicewise, was the variety and character of right-click/initiate conversation generic lines from different types of NPC. the jovial "I can break an arm or a leg for a copper or two" from the toughs, the comically harsh priests who wailed KNEEL. AND. REPENT., the siege tank guards who WERE the law and who SERVED the FLA-MING FIST. those felt like they got a lot of attention both from writers and in the studio, and they helped the world lively and full of many different sorts of people.

YES! I love the little comments people make when you click them. I know most are repeated but it just adds a bit of characters, and it's quite amusing.

I'm a fine looking strumpet... aren't I!

• Like 1

nowt

Me temper's bad enough without ye bothering me.

• Like 5

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

So, I just started playing the Original Sin games this past week and I have to say that I'm super impressed that the entire thing was voice acted. In the past, I've never minded these types of games not having full voice acting, as it gives me a way to roleplay the character voices, etc.

But after playing Original Sin, I wouldn't be opposed to Deadfire being entirely voice acted. I wonder how many lines of dialogue Deadfire has compared to Original Sin 2? If I'm not mistaken, Deadfire made more money from backing than OS2 did...

• Like 1

So, I just started playing the Original Sin games this past week and I have to say that I'm super impressed that the entire thing was voice acted. In the past, I've never minded these types of games not having full voice acting, as it gives me a way to roleplay the character voices, etc.

But after playing Original Sin, I wouldn't be opposed to Deadfire being entirely voice acted. I wonder how many lines of dialogue Deadfire has compared to Original Sin 2? If I'm not mistaken, Deadfire made more money from backing than OS2 did...

Yes, sometimes I do end up skipping through some voice acting. but it's good to have the option ya know? Sometimes I just want to get on with it but sometimes i like to sit back and listen to the drama unfold.

• Like 2

nowt

If you're skipping voice acting then the voice acting and/or writing is bad.

Not necessarily.

Listening is slow and reading by yourself is much faster. So I always read and skip ahead even if the VO isn't done yet. I just don't have the time to sit and listen all the time, and it has nothing to do with the quality of the VO.

• Like 2

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Would be interesting to look at the actual budgets. DOS1 sold a lot more than POE, and I think at higher average price points given its faster sales accumulation, so there will have been a lot more money to throw at DOS2. But there are many half-knowns here, including the ROIs on console ports, what cut Paradox took for distributing POE1 and whether DOS1 did better there, the fact that Larian and Obsidian are based in completely different physical areas costwise, the fact that Obsidian are a multi-project company in a way Larian only sort of is, etc.

• Like 2

Not necessarily.

Listening is slow and reading by yourself is much faster. So I always read and skip ahead even if the VO isn't done yet. I just don't have the time to sit and listen all the time, and it has nothing to do with the quality of the VO.

If i was good VO, you'd want to listen to it just to hear it, even if you'd already read the dialogue, unless you simple have almost no free time of course. It should be pleasing to the ear and offer information not easily dropped just through text, or else what's the point of even having it?

If i was good VO, you'd want to listen to it just to hear it, even if you'd already read the dialogue,

No.

unless you simple have almost no free time of course. It should be pleasing to the ear and offer information not easily dropped just through text, or else what's the point of even having it?

I don't want to listen to something I've already read, no matter how good or bad the voice acting is.

And indeed, I'd say the VO, in this type of game, should be limited to the first sentence at most.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Not necessarily.

If i was good VO, you'd want to listen to it just to hear it, even if you'd already read the dialogue, unless you simple have almost no free time of course. It should be pleasing to the ear and offer information not easily dropped just through text, or else what's the point of even having it?

From my experience of playing DOS 2, around 80% Of the time I actually listen to the voiced dialogue, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the voice acting or writing for the other 20% of the game.

Sometimes I'm just not in a mood in listening to some guy slowly talking for a whole minute while I can read everything in 10 seconds. Or maybe I'm about to do something else and have to finish this conversation as quickly as possible so that I can save.