A potential canon party comp

Now we obviously do not know sub classes yet so this potentially will not work. However, I have been testing several canon party comps based on the the known class compositions and this has been one of the funnest one I have come up with so far.

Cypher-Fighter: Soul Blade/Devoted (Player)

Fighter-Rogue: None/Street Fighter (Eder)

Paladin: Kind Wayfarer (Pellagina) 

Druid-Chanter: Lifegiver/Troubadour (New fish)

Wizard: Evocation (Aloth)

I've mowed through the beta with this composition without, in my opinion, any significant cheese. Everyone is fairly durable, even Aloth due to spells. There is added durability due to Chanter summoning meat shields.There is ton of passive healing from Paladin aura, Chanter ancient memory, and Fighter rapid recovery. But there is also a ton of active healing through Paladin lay of hands/kind wayfarer white flame and Druid rejuvenation spells. There is also plenty of damage coming from Aloth, Eder and Watcher.

I put quarterstaff on New Fish and clicked his modal for added durability and gave Pellagina morning star and clicked her fortitude damage modal. Eder has saber and halfsword. Watcher has estoc. Aloth casts spells nonstop like a good little wizard but technically he has a wand. 

I have noticed a little difficulty getting penetration with Eder, especially on those Saints, but outside of that I haven't really noticed any problems. 

Anyways, I know pellagina isn't always people favorite character so I think if I wanted to remove her I would make Eder a pure fighter tank and turn the Orlan Barbarian into damage dealer. 

Anyways, I just thought it was a fun competitive comp that might be possible in the released version that does not really focus on any exploits or oversights. Though to be fair I did allocate the attributes very specifically and you might not be able to do that. You couldn't in PoE. 

Edited by PatrioticChief

You can't choose subclasses in Deadfire and the Druid-Chanter has two unique subclasses.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Right. No subclasses for Edér & Aloth. The others have unique, fixed subclasses (but Serafen's barbarian part and Maia's wizard part as well as Pallegina's chanter part have no subclass as well I believe).

Here's a list composed of Josh's info he gave on Tumblr:

- Pallegina: Kind Wayfarer or Frermàs mes Canc Suolias

- Maia: Gunhawk

- Serafen: Wild Mind

- Xoti: Priestess of Gaun/Sister of the Reaping Moon

- Tekehu: Storm Speaker

(chanter)/Watershaper (druid)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Right. No subclasses for Edér & Aloth. The others have unique, fixed subclasses (but Serafen's barbarian part and Maia's wizard part as well as Pallegina's chanter part have no subclass as well I believe).

Here's a list composed of Josh's info he gave on Tumblr:

- Pallegina: Kind Wayfarer or Frermàs mes Canc Suolias

- Maia: Gunhawk

- Serafen: Wild Mind

- Xoti: Priestess of Gaun/Sister of the Reaping Moon

- Tekehu: Storm Speaker

(chanter)/Watershaper (druid)

Honestly none of that is too much of a deal breaker. Looks like I can keep Pel as a support tank with kind wayfarer. Eder and Aloth not having a subclass is not a big deal. It will be interesting to see how Tekehu unique sub classes work, but it does look like my healer chanter/druid combination is cooked. 

Why? Ancient Memory works fine on any chanter subclass and so do the healing spells of druids. A Livegiver can do better healing but the spells are good even without the higher power level.

Edited by Boeroer

Why? Ancient Memory works fine on any chanter subclass and so do the healing spells of druids. A Livegiver can do better healing but the spells are good even without the higher power level.

The linger on chants just seems so low. I guess if I just chant ancient memory and nothing else it can work. 

Yes - Ancient Memory stacks with itself - so actually the lingering + the active phrase both heal you by 1/second (base). Of course a Troubadour would be best in this case (because of the longer linger phase), but it's still good with a vanilla chanter like Pallegina. I wonder what Tekehu's special Stormsinger Speaker subclass can do. I guess invocations themed around wind/freeze/shock may be more effective.

Edited by Boeroer

> party canon party comp

my brain hurts reading this

just in case Boeroer missed any of them:

ycXcUrS.png

Thanks. I wish they all had access to sub classes but it will be interesting to find out what the unique sub classes are. I could not tell from the graphic, does multi classing eliminate the subclass option? Or can I multi class Tekehu as a watershaper/storm speaker? 

Edited by PatrioticChief

No, there isn't even an option when it comes to the subclasses. They are fixed. So for example Serafen can't be a normal cipher or a Wild Mind, instead he always is a Wild Mind (also when multiclassing). Tekehu is always a Storm Speaker and can't be a normal chanter (if you take the chanter class for him in the first place).

Edited by Boeroer

No, there isn't even an option when it comes to the subclasses. They are fixed. So for example Serafen can't be a normal cipher or a Wild Mind, instead he always is a Wild Mind (also when multiclassing). Tekehu is always a Storm Speaker and can't be a normal chanter (if you take the chanter class for him in the first place).

Gotcha. I'm cool with that. The only companions that are party locks for me right now are Aloth and Eder. A pity they did not try and do anything unique with them but finding out the unique of the new companions will be interesting.

On a side note I ran a shifter last night, but as fun as the constant transformations were, it plays very boring. You don't even get to use one of the five unique abilities more than once in combat. And once you've picked the wild claws you're done in terms of upgrading your shifting abilities. It's a shame. 

Contrast that with say the Stalker. There are tons of talents available to make a melee ranger a viable and fun alternative to your stereotypical ranged ranger. 

Edited by PatrioticChief

Gotcha. I'm cool with that. The only companions that are party locks for me right now are Aloth and Eder. A pity they did not try and do anything unique with them but finding out the unique of the new companions will be interesting.

On a side note I ran a shifter last night, but as fun as the constant transformations were, it plays very boring. You don't even get to use one of the five unique abilities more than once in combat. And once you've picked the wild claws you're done in terms of upgrading your shifting abilities. It's a shame. 

Contrast that with say the Stalker. There are tons of talents available to make a melee ranger a viable and fun alternative to your stereotypical ranged ranger. 

I played Eder in different play-throughs as an "unbroken," a "devoted" and a generic fighter. Because all of our saves are probably a little different, generic is the only way you can match Eder pretty closely to what we expect. I think an option of Fighter + Rogue works pretty well, but I probably would have made the other option Fighter + Priest (Eothas) instead of straight rogue, though I know there are legit reasons why that was not considered a good story option. Also, I bet there were plenty of play-throughs that had Eder as rogue-like even though I never did. I also never played Aloth as a gish, so his options don't feel right to me, but I'm sure they do to other folks; I actually played him a little like a rogue because he was my mechanician (not sure how common that was). That said, cipher seemed like a better option than rogue because they are also rogue-like and Aloth has that split personality animancy issue. While cipher is ripe for a unique class option, if it is only a multi-class, it is only a partial class. Accordingly, while I think any of us could tweak it a little to our tastes, the choices made seem like a valid design choice and I wouldn't be surprised if they were somewhat based on how we were playing them.

I played Eder in different play-throughs as an "unbroken," a "devoted" and a generic fighter. Because all of our saves are probably a little different, generic is the only way you can match Eder pretty closely to what we expect. I think an option of Fighter + Rogue works pretty well, but I probably would have made the other option Fighter + Priest (Eothas) instead of straight rogue, though I know there are legit reasons why that was not considered a good story option. Also, I bet there were plenty of play-throughs that had Eder as rogue-like even though I never did. I also never played Aloth as a gish, so his options don't feel right to me, but I'm sure they do to other folks; I actually played him a little like a rogue because he was my mechanician (not sure how common that was). That said, cipher seemed like a better option than rogue because they are also rogue-like and Aloth has that split personality animancy issue. While cipher is ripe for a unique class option, if it is only a multi-class, it is only a partial class. Accordingly, while I think any of us could tweak it a little to our tastes, the choices made seem like a valid design choice and I wouldn't be surprised if they were somewhat based on how we were playing them.

I always played Eder as the tank in PoE. I plan on making him a swashbuckler in PoE2 because I've really enjoyed my runs with a dual wielding swashbuckler so far. 

Well there are some druid spells that are pretty nice if you cast them before shifting. One can see them as additions to the passive Wildstrike abilities. Form of the Delemgan is great and so is Avenging Storm (if it's still in the game). And lets not forget Returning and Relentless Storm. All those spells that you cast once and then they're up an running are a bit like active abilities. If only the casting times where a bit shorter so that preparing the Spiritshift wouldn't take ages...

Edited by Boeroer

> party canon party comp

my brain hurts reading this

just in case Boeroer missed any of them:

ycXcUrS.png

What does the "Base class here" mean? I'd normally assume it was the class they start as but it's listed twice in some places. The Ni thought maybe Pallegina multiclasses differently depending on her endings...but that doesn't explain Maia.

Base class means that there's no subclass option to chose from. :3

So Maia can be Ranger - Gunhawk or Ranger - Gunhawk/Rogue (base class) or Ranger - Gunhawk/Wizard (base class).

Edited by Nanawatzin
  • Like 1

Is it possible to make a mod so that you can remove restrictions / choose subclases for your companions? That'd be great. 

Potentially but I don't think (and by think I mean I have no idea I am just assuming) it's gonna be steam workshop compatible so it'd be a ways out before something like that came along if ever. 

Btw, will we be able to manually choose Pallegina's order even if we import a PoE1 save?

For example in my preferred and ready-for-import ending she is pardoned; but I would really make use of Kind Wayfarer in Deadfire.

Also just a note: Vielo Vidorio was really lacking in PoE1, because:

- the speed bonus wasn't affecting Pallegina herself

- the speed bonus wasn't stacking with other active speed bonuses. It would be a pity if Vielo Vidorio was useless for a party that contains monks, barbarians, potion and time-parasite users; or characters that use speed increasing proficiency modals

Btw, will we be able to manually choose Pallegina's order even if we import a PoE1 save?

For example in my preferred and ready-for-import ending she is pardoned; but I would really make use of Kind Wayfarer in Deadfire.

Her subclass is based on her PoE1 ending, and you can't edit an impoted save. 

• Like 1

Her subclass is based on her PoE1 ending, and you can't edit an impoted save.

Hope it will be possible to mod the method that returns Pallegina's PoE1 state/fate. Or maybe someone will find how to edit the final save itself.