Does anyone else think OBS have announced two release dates to generate publicity?

very very unlikely. I think the publicity is a byproduct of a poor marketing job that turned out in favor of Obsidian by chance. Kudos to the QA though. They managed to convince the board to postpone the release and thus there is hope for another beta update for us to fiddle.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Postponing anything that many people anticipated is never a good thing, even if you cite good reasons like bugfixing for it. This just creates the sentiment that the game is a bugfest and not at all in a stable form.

Realistically it probably is a good thing for the game, because balance might be worked on, serious bugs get squished and ideally the game will be out in a state where players get the minimum hassle. Publicity wise it is really hard to turn this into something that is regarded as a positive.

• Like 2

There is no better way to generate more publicity for your release then to have all the media outlets announce it twice. 

Getting back to the topic...  No, I do not think this is a secret maneuver to get some last-minute media exposure.

Release dates aren't exactly legal contracts with players, but it is a significant break in good-will and faith when you unexpectedly announce a last-minute delay.  It is rarely ever seen in a positive light, and many of those media outlets who may have reported on Deadfire in the past are likely to hold off on new stories until they're absolutely 100% certain about the game's future.

Regardless about how you feel about the climate in this forum, Pillars fans, as as whole, seem to be quite accommodating of this news.  It says something positive about a community that after an unexpected slide in the release date, most comments are along the lines of:  "Sure, I can wait.  Just use that extra month to make the game even better."

• Like 1

Like the title says?

There is no better way to generate more publicity for your release then to have all the media outlets announce it twice. 

There is also the extra publicity from all the news coming out saying it has been delayed.

Its a money game and there playing it

I seriously doubt that many people care. This forum does not get a lot of traffic. Release dates getting delayed is about as exciting as a weather forecast.

Edited by Valmy

Between the dubious start to the thread, and the quick veering into off topic discussion of posting patterns, this thread doesn't seem to provide any use other the destabilization of the community. As such, the thread is now closed.

• Like 7

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: