Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - FREE WHITE HOUSE MONTAGE

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
587 replies to this topic

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8946 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well War of the Chosen is really more like Xcom 3 than an expansion, so if you get Xcom 2, you might want to play through vanilla first.

• Fenixp likes this

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I am sometimes fine with DLCs, but sometimes I just want that complete experiance from the start

It's not about complete experience per se, with War of the Chosen, it's about getting a very different one. While getting the full experience seems to be a good choice, I'd recommend playing vanilla (perhaps with the couple of DLC released for it) and only when you're done with that giving War of the Chosen a shot.

At any rate, waiting and buying a fully patched version of a game cheaper is always a good choice, unless you want to support a dev/game.

Edit: Hurlshot'd.

Edited by Fenixp, 15 May 2018 - 07:51 AM.

• Hurlshot likes this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2043 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Not gonna lie, Rage 2 looks like Fallout that Bethesda always wanted to be

Not sure about that, two very different types of games. Still though, I wonder what this means for Fallout. My thought is they are rebuilding their production pipeline for TES around new tech, maybe even id's tech, and hopefully Fallout will be hibernating alongside it.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3629 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Looks freakin' awesome!

Looks like MadMax on crack and steroids, I like the vibe of the trailer, but I am little bit affraid of the Open World design...

I am maybe to old, but I really prefer small scale levels, with unending action, like Doom 4, Hard Reset or Quake 2, than wast openness, where you have to search for an action for half an hour or more... I would love to see a proper balance between these two factors. I really am unable to imagine quality open world, without checkbox design, with uninterupted flow of shooting mayhem... But I hope that id and Avalanche, can raise the bar of the genre with this game higher than Ubisoft ever could.

• Katphood likes this

wolfrider100

wolfrider100

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 226 posts

Looks freakin' awesome!

Heck yeah. I loved the first RAGE, so I'm very happy that there making a second one. This makes me

want to revisit RAGE 1 and do a new playthrough, since it's been a few years since I played this last.

Edited by wolfrider100, 15 May 2018 - 08:38 AM.

• Katphood likes this

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3806 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well that trailer looks completely different to what Rage was, so I wouldn't expect there to be much connection, except for a couple weapons and enemy types maybe. It's probably going to be like old Prey and new Prey, or old Return to Castle Wolfenstein and the new ones, etc. I'm pretty sure this is going to be a Mad Max, Borderlands and Fallout mix, set in the Rage universe.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7524 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
Does remind me of Borderlands, but must just be the way the trailer's presented more than anything else.

Skazz

Skazz

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 682 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well that trailer looks completely different to what Rage was, so I wouldn't expect there to be much connection, except for a couple weapons and enemy types maybe. It's probably going to be like old Prey and new Prey, or old Return to Castle Wolfenstein and the new ones, etc. I'm pretty sure this is going to be a Mad Max, Borderlands and Fallout mix, set in the Rage universe.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. The new Prey was an amazing game.

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2350 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I doubt RAGE 2 will have random loot, to me it looks more like a marriage between the original RAGE and DOOM 4. The game does look like RAGE 1 in some ways: the buggy is still there, same goes for the the Wingstick and Mutant Bash TV. Gameplay is very similar to DOOM 4 though.

I am also one of the dudes who happened to enjoy the original RAGE a whole lot. One of these days I might replay it because I never got to play The Scortchers dlc.

Edited by Katphood, 15 May 2018 - 09:51 AM.

• injurai likes this

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3806 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Not saying it's a bad thing, just saying that it doesn't look like Rage to me... at all. :>

• Azdeus and Skazz like this

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 680 posts

• ShadySands and sorophx like this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2043 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

https://www.stalker2.com/

https://www.facebook...694431413958948

https://www.facebook...053522958254369

• Bartimaeus likes this

Azdeus

Azdeus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

Spiced with a little bit of Bulletstorm.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1754 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

https://www.stalker2.com/

https://www.facebook...694431413958948

https://www.facebook...053522958254369

looking forward to playing it in 2026
  • Agiel likes this

marelooke

marelooke

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 985 posts
  • Steam:marelooke
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Didn't most of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. team end up elsewhere by now. So it's basically a game using the name but made by different people? Or am I getting that wrong? Not sure if I should be excited or scared right now, so I'll just go for both. :aiee:

Blodhemn

Blodhemn

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 763 posts
I just don't get the attraction of the wastelander/punk aesthetic. Never will. A generic form of ugly.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2043 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Rage, Brink, Bulletstorm, Borderlands, Mad Max, Fortnight, Sunset Overdrive

It's certainly not uncovered ground. Execution is really what I think will make this game.

• Mamoulian War likes this

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2528 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Didn't most of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. team end up elsewhere by now. So it's basically a game using the name but made by different people? Or am I getting that wrong? Not sure if I should be excited or scared right now, so I'll just go for both. :aiee:

The whole studio was basically shut down for a few years so it would be pretty much a new team unless some return. Having said that, the people who left largely seemed to be obsessed with turning Stalker into a MP game except the Metro guys who left earliest, and Sergei G himself seems to have a decent idea of what made Stalker memorable.

They have done Cossacks 3 since re-opening which seems a poor fit for Stalker, but then again they'd only (?) done Cossacks1/2 prior to StalkerSoC as well and that didn't do it much harm, ultimately.

Edited by Zoraptor, 15 May 2018 - 03:27 PM.

• marelooke likes this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2043 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I believe most of the team either went to join the Metro guys at 4A (which then moved to Malta.) Or went to Vostok to work on Survivarium. A few people went on to make some indie puzzle game that was sort of pitched like a Myst, I totally forget the name and don't know if it ever came out.

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 680 posts

It was called Cradle, and it did manage to come out. And in spite of my distaste for most games of that form, I quite enjoyed it and highly recommend it to everyone here.

Edited by Agiel, 15 May 2018 - 06:51 PM.

• sorophx and injurai like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users