RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - FREE WHITE HOUSE MONTAGE

Blarghagh

What did you like about the game? What kept you going through it?

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

.... games have become so glib that the intimidation factor is very low.

I remember, the first dungeon of Oblivion/Skyrim was atmospheric, but after that it quickly became laughable as it was so obvious that most things were heavily stacked in the player's favor or simply designed in such a way to be always at his convenience.

At E3:2008, when FO3 was showcased, I recall that there were other developers (during their own time on stage) hawking their games, and stating to the audience, "You can succeed in our game!". This was a major selling point to them. I don't remember any of the games; one I think, was about a dependent pair of adventurers, a man and woman, with individual, and combo attacks. But the thought felt so revolting, that they had worked to pre-guarantee success as a gift. Edited by Gizmo

Play Torment: Tides of Numenera, see how bad the combat system is and you'll love every rpg that is thrown at you afterwards.

Torment: Tides of Numenera was one of the biggest disappointments for me in gaming history.  You would think the combat couldn't get any worse than Planescape? Think again.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

"Original Sin 2 is one of the greatest PC RPGs of all time"

The world has already forgotten.

Who said this?

I'm quite sure that most people who praise Original Sin played for ~10 hours and then moved on to other things. The game was really good at leaving a nice first impression, with the pretty graphics and and interactivity.

Then you find out it has drivel for story, the combat is always the same, it's slow as molasses, quests are unexplained, broken or plain boring, and the companions might as well be made of cardboard. The worst part is - it's all. So. Excruciatingly. Generic.

I got a few more than 10 hours out of both, but there is something about Larian games that enthrall me for act 1 and then totally lose me after that. It is usually enough for me to feel I got my money's worth though, so there is that. DOS2 did a good job of fixing quite a few of the issues with DOS1, but I wouldn't recommend it if the original bothered you that much.

• Like 1

A Ghost Recon DLC announcement heralds the return of Michael Ironside to the role of Sam Fisher:

Now they have me 50% onboard for a new Splinter Cell game. If it turns out it was what Clint Hocking was brought on to do when he rejoined Ubisoft then they got me for the other 50%.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I wonder if that's a sign of the next Splinter Cell game being open world using this game engine

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Have any of you heard about this project?

http://blackgeyser.com/

Black Geyser, isometric realtime with pause RPG.

Surprised that Obsidian hasn't sent them a C&D.

Why, does Obsidian hold a copyright for isometric RTwP RPGs?  I'm pretty sure lots of companies have made those.  Granted, it does look pretty similar graphically, but that's bound to happen when you go for a realistic art style rather than going stylized.

Speaking of stylized isometric RTwP RPGs, Tower of Time comes out of early access on the 12th.

I've read some good things about it and I may well scoop it up once fully released (it helps that it's nice and cheap).

I own this game, I haven't played it yet. The price will go up, unfortunately.

Who said this?

I'm quite sure that most people who praise Original Sin played for ~10 hours and then moved on to other things. The game was really good at leaving a nice first impression, with the pretty graphics and and interactivity.

Then you find out it has drivel for story, the combat is always the same, it's slow as molasses, quests are unexplained, broken or plain boring, and the companions might as well be made of cardboard. The worst part is - it's all. So. Excruciatingly. Generic.

I got a few more than 10 hours out of both, but there is something about Larian games that enthrall me for act 1 and then totally lose me after that. It is usually enough for me to feel I got my money's worth though, so there is that. DOS2 did a good job of fixing quite a few of the issues with DOS1, but I wouldn't recommend it if the original bothered you that much.

That's how it went. I was playing with my girlfriend and we finished act one, or so, and just dropped the game. Didn't even discuss it much, neither of felt like playing. I tend to stick with RPGs to the bitter end, so it took some effort on the game's part to alienate me

Who said this?

Or maybe people who actually played them for longer?

After over 50 hours logged in each of Original Sin games I certainly think them much better than the rest of these so-called RPGs released recently.

• Like 1

Who said this?

After over 50 hours logged in each of Original Sin games I certainly think them much better than the rest of these so-called RPGs released recently.

I respect that everyone has their own opinion and everyone has their own favorite game due to their own reasons.  I've played through the original DOS on the PS4 a couple times and am currently running through a co-op game with a friend.  I'm in about 35+ hours into the second and things I enjoy about the games are their charm.  I really like the storylines, the characters, the voice acting, the music, look of the game, pacing (due to turn-based combat) and the overall combat.  I think the origin stories were a huge plus and I know some people are turned off by the quirkiness of some characters, I really enjoy it.   Are any one of these the best at what they do?  Probably not to most, but when I play them, I can definitely see the passion the devs have behind the game and how they support their titles and what they're trying to do overall.   I also really enjoy the idea that these games in no way hold your hand in a lot of departments including crafting, quest completing, etc.  You can go to the wrong places in the map early on and face a huge challenge or explore more and find the gradual path, that's typically encountered by following quests and their stories.  I once watched a video, I believe someone posted on here, of how RPGs these days do too much hand holding, including dotting a line on the mini-map to the next quest or other steps to make progression easier and I like what Larian does to counter this.  That's not to say I don't like games like the Witcher, because you can turn those items off, I just really enjoy DOS and DOS2 for what they bring to the table.

Now I know some on here really enjoy Pillars of Eternity, which makes sense due to the boards themselves, but I have such a hard time getting past the first 5-10 hours and am not quite sure why.  I love the BG and IWD games, but have a hard time progressing through POE.  The second Pillars looks good, so I'm going to try and push through Pillars, but not sure when that will be.  Also, more so recently than in the past, I've wanted to support certain developers that have games I really like, like Larian or Crate with GD, where I end up buying multiple copies for friends because I want these companies to succeed because I believe they really care about their titles.  

In the end, I can see the reasons, as explained on these boards, of why people may not like the latest Divinity games, but I myself really enjoy them.

Edited by SadExchange
  • Like 1

Who said this?

What's the competition?

Play Torment: Tides of Numenera, see how bad the combat system is and you'll love every rpg that is thrown at you afterwards.

Torment: Tides of Numenera was one of the biggest disappointments for me in gaming history.  You would think the combat couldn't get any worse than Planescape? Think again.

Brian Fargo is one of the greatest magicians in gaming. He managed to convince everyone that despite not making a single good game in two decades, he's going to make a good sequel to one of the best games of all time, and to Wasteland, so in effect, the 'real' Fallout 3. So, sequels to two of the greatest games of all time (according to many) 

And people believed him! 

On a related note, I've been thumbing through Numenera, and on the first page Cook says he was inspired primarily by Gene Wolfe and Moebius, literally my two favorite 'visions' of sci fi. Unfortunately, this is not something that's coming through in the rest of the book as much as I'd like.

Now I know some on here really enjoy Pillars of Eternity, which makes sense due to the boards themselves, but I have such a hard time getting past the first 5-10 hours and am not quite sure why.  I love the BG and IWD games, but have a hard time progressing through POE.  

Because the first 5 hours are flat out boring. PoE has a dull low key introduction that smacks of a stock DnD campaign, a really good middle encompassing the majority of the game's content, and an underwhelming finale. 

My basic gripe with Larian games comes down to my personal experience. They have been trying very hard to make a great basic, or 'generic', RPG. Generic in this sense is not something bad, it's just a trait - the archetypal RPG experience, as you might imagine the typical tabletop group to run. And they did it. It's just that after 20 years of gaming the typical DnD module, even if it's done really well (like Drakensang was for example), is just not enough to keep my attention. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

Wasteland 2 was fantastic though. I'd actually rank it ahead of PoE as my favorite game to come out of kickstarter, and probably tied with Shadowrun. It helps that I enjoyed the combat and character advancement system more than PoE. It wasn't overly complicated.

• Like 4

Who said this?

What's the competition?

Brian Fargo is one of the greatest magicians in gaming. He managed to convince everyone that despite not making a single good game in two decades, he's going to make a good sequel to one of the best games of all time, and to Wasteland, so in effect, the 'real' Fallout 3. So, sequels to two of the greatest games of all time (according to many) 

And people believed him! 

On a related note, I've been thumbing through Numenera, and on the first page Cook says he was inspired primarily by Gene Wolfe and Moebius, literally my two favorite 'visions' of sci fi. Unfortunately, this is not something that's coming through in the rest of the book as much as I'd like.

Now I know some on here really enjoy Pillars of Eternity, which makes sense due to the boards themselves, but I have such a hard time getting past the first 5-10 hours and am not quite sure why.  I love the BG and IWD games, but have a hard time progressing through POE.  

Because the first 5 hours are flat out boring. PoE has a dull low key introduction that smacks of a stock DnD campaign, a really good middle encompassing the majority of the game's content, and an underwhelming finale. 

My basic gripe with Larian games comes down to my personal experience. They have been trying very hard to make a great basic, or 'generic', RPG. Generic in this sense is not something bad, it's just a trait - the archetypal RPG experience, as you might imagine the typical tabletop group to run. And they did it. It's just that after 20 years of gaming the typical DnD module, even if it's done really well (like Drakensang was for example), is just not enough to keep my attention. 

Sorry, but generic RPG is what I'm looking for. If I want to play RPG, I want true RPG, not a mashup. You can of course add something unique, but RPG games are games with developing stats. So, basically, RPG game is game with story and developing stats and something bit more unique, but if that unique thing take over RPG game, it's not RPG game anymore.

Let me put this way. RPG game has leveling/stats. Most games have those, but if I want total character costumisation or party interaction or role-playing my choice is D:OS2, POE, IWD2, BG2 and hopefully, Tower of Time, but I wait for better configuration to build in order to play that.

*watches that Tower of Time trailer"

It looked pretty good until the very end and the seemingly rooted-in-place mega boss with a giant arm showed up. Which has nothing to do with overall quality of a game but I've never much liked/am so tired of bosses like those, any genre. So boring.

Game does look interesting/looks nice outside of that tho. I may keep it in my radar.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

*watches that Tower of Time trailer"

It looked pretty good until the very end and the seemingly rooted-in-place mega boss with a giant arm showed up. Which has nothing to do with overall quality of a game but I've never much liked/am so tired of bosses like those, any genre. So boring.

Game does look interesting/looks nice outside of that tho. I may keep it in my radar.

As I understand, it's exploration game.

Sorry, but generic RPG is what I'm looking for. If I want to play RPG, I want true RPG, not a mashup. You can of course add something unique, but RPG games are games with developing stats. So, basically, RPG game is game with story and developing stats and something bit more unique, but if that unique thing take over RPG game, it's not RPG game anymore.

Let me put this way. RPG game has leveling/stats. Most games have those, but if I want total character costumisation or party interaction or role-playing my choice is D:OS2, POE, IWD2, BG2 and hopefully, Tower of Time, but I wait for better configuration to build in order to play that.

I never even mentioned stats.

What makes Original Sin (and, incidentally, Icewind Dale 2) generic RPGs is that the narrative experience is just window dressing for the stats and combat. So is Temple of Elemental Evil, Icewind Dale 1, Drakensang and others. The story and characters are just there to give a little context to the action. Sometimes there's a little bit more, sometimes less, but that's the 'typical' cRPG experience, probably borne of the structure of written DnD adventures. At the end of the day, they all revolve around combat 80% of the time.

PoE and BG2 are narrative and character driven while still having all the usual RPG trappings. So is Vampire: Bloodlines. PST is the extreme end where the mechanical aspects are almost completely overshadowed by the story. Arguably that's the most role-playing game of all of them, because you're not playing the 'who has the better numbers' minigame (min-maxing, optimization of character, combat etc.) - which, for a lot of people, is the game, but, literally, a role.   

At the end of the day, it's about what RPG means for you. For me, the whole, what I call 'generic' category was made obsolete by games like Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, the Witcher, Final Fantasy X, Bloodlines - unless they offer something new like, say, Gothic did, in its time...

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Wasteland 2 was fantastic though. I'd actually rank it ahead of PoE as my favorite game to come out of kickstarter, and probably tied with Shadowrun. It helps that I enjoyed the combat and character advancement system more than PoE. It wasn't overly complicated.

The combat system I can agree on but the character system in Wasteland 2 was a confusing mess of interdependent stats and skill bloat where you had no chance to know what was useful and what not going in the first time.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Even with all that dreadful non-combat rng? For me, the percentile chance on everything killed the game for me.

What, you didn't like using a skill and failing repeatedly even though you had a 91% chance of success resulting in super annoying reloading orgies? :w00t:

The most annoying thing about Wasteland 2 was the way how Angela disappeared from the party, never to return. She was the only character I had with Brute Force which exacerbated the reloading orgies. Punching something repeatedly for 9% success chance until RNGesus decides to humble you with a good roll was not something I want to repeat. Took a while to train a replacement.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Surprised that Obsidian hasn't sent them a C&D.

Why, does Obsidian hold a copyright for isometric RTwP RPGs?  I'm pretty sure lots of companies have made those.  Granted, it does look pretty similar graphically, but that's bound to happen when you go for a realistic art style rather than going stylized.

Speaking of stylized isometric RTwP RPGs, Tower of Time comes out of early access on the 12th.

I've read some good things about it and I may well scoop it up once fully released (it helps that it's nice and cheap).

Re. the Blackgeyser game, I also had signed up for its newsletter and just got an email about its upcoming KS. It's not groundbreaking in any way, but I can never get enough of party-based single-player RTwP cRPGs in high fantasy settings. :)

Re. Tower of Time, I have it on my Steam wishlist, and was going to post here asking if anyone had any feedback on it based on having played the early access. I've read the various pro previews, but was curious about what actual RPG gamers thought of it.

Looking at their website, I've got to say, I'm not that hopeful.  It's got a lot of the bad things about older games (seriously, racial class restrictions?) and it looks as though non-casters are relegated to simply attacking again.  Graphically it looks pretty nice, though.

Also, having a "Resistance to Arousal Effects" makes me think of FATAL.  It's probably not what it sounds like (I hope it's not what it sounds like...) but they definitely could have chosen a better name for it.

I'll probably take a look at the Kickstarter, but it doesn't strike me as something I'd back at the moment.

Edit:  Sigh...I got all interested in Tower of Time, and reading the forums mentioned it doesn't have a button to highlight interactable objects.  That's a deal breaker for me.  I hate pixel hunting.

Edited by Vaeliorin
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra