RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - FREE WHITE HOUSE MONTAGE

Blarghagh

CK2 is free until Saturday 10am PT - http://store.steampowered.com/app/203770/Crusader_Kings_II/

First hit is always free.

• Like 7

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

(cue the forced stories about how much difference it made in that particular firefight YOU had blah blah)?

Well there was that one time an RPG rocket ricocheted off a windshield of an approaching vehicle and blew up a nearby gas station, that is besides the point tho. But you actually struck a nail on the head there - there were a lot of stories generated by a ton of tiny details that other players may have never experienced, that only I did end up having in MY particular firefight (blah blah.) You and everybody else gets attacked by a honey badger and a crocodile in FC3. Breaking weapons, cars that won't last 40 000 crashes etc. are all elements which do end up reducing predictability and removing power from the player, yes.

Want to talk about predictability? How about we mention those outposts again? You know with 100% certainty what will happen when you see one. They are never empty, they are never friendly, there are never even different types of soldiers (or even number of soldiers!). Go play any of the newer Far Cry's and tell me they're predictable once you've attacked an outpost, been attacked from behind by a patrol while a plane crashes into a mountain in the distance and a honey badger eats up your last sliver of life. You can criticize a lot of stuff in the Far Cry series, but predictability is not one of them. Unless.. you mistake reactability for predictability and think shooting a tree into smaller chunks is unpredictable.

There are literally two unpredictable events I ever encountered in FC3 and 4 (I have yet to play 5, but I already left 4 halfway through as it's just... More of 3.) - animals and enemy patrols. Majority of war stories I've ever seen concern these two. Apparently FC5 will add randomly crashing planes to the mix but that's still not all that much. Unexpected events do happen in the games of course, but they're much more of an exception than a rule.

Far Cry 3+ are trying their damnest to give as much control as possible to the player - marking enemies (and animals with the right drugs), making majority of outposts clearable without even considering weaponry you'll bring along ('cause... Bow). Weapons not jamming/falling apart and vehicles lasting insane amounts of punishment only add to that.

I won't argue about crappy outpost respawns and random vehicles on the roads of FC2, because they're both crappy mechanics. They ultimately add to the whole 'misery simulator' feel of the game, but the game would be significantly better than it is without them. Still, when I approach an area with a lot of dry grass, I leave my rocket launcher behind and grab an RPG in Far Cry 2, because I don't want to risk a random fire burning my arse off. I don't expect my X-ray vision to spot all enemies in the big mission areas as I would in FC3+, and can't even fully lean on exploring the locations previously, because enemies happen to wear clothes that make them difficult to make out in the environment (Shockingly). These mechanical interactions are what allows the game to generate situations that even developers never expected, and it is in turn what makes FC2 much more replayable than FC3+ to me.

However, through giving player a lot more control, FC3+ games became a much smoother and more streamlined experience - and I most certainly do not expect majority of players to enjoy broken, janky messes that I do.

Edited by Fenixp

Just in time for my birthday, w00t.  Earlier than I had expected, have not been following people in the alpha to see what state it's in though.

Blizz seems to have a different alpha strategy this time, adding content piecemeal in the order one would play it to get feedback from the ground up as opposed to their usual "we dump in as much as we can and tell people what to look at". As such the alpha seems sparser but the available content seems much more polished. Hard to say what shape the launch product will be in.

Seems a better approach. WoW forums are declaring this WoD 2.0, but that is meaningless :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I need to know what next big patch/DLC for Stellaris will be, I GOT ITCH and it needs scratching!!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Shadow Of War ditches micro-transactions... smh.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

SE at Pax East announced their plans for the 4 new FFXV DLC. Two, at least, which sound like separate but tied together alternate path/rainbows and kittens ending DLC's (Noct and Luna). Maybe including a redemption arc for the bad guy, judging by a "painting" they also showed. To all be released by summer 2019. Color me unimpressed. All this basically fan-service stuff, for paid DLC.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/06/pax-east-2018-final-fantasy-xv-4-new-story-dlc-episodes-coming-in-2019

Also, level/mini-game mod tools not until Fall (weapon/clothing in early Summer). And a stand-alone version of Comrades so one wouldn't need disc/main game to play it (no word whether that'll be yet another separate purchase or they'll update it somehow....)

I'll still love/play the main game, mind, and patiently wait for mod tools but yeah ... I think that's about the end of my interest in future content. It was a good run. And I still have the original game/Episode Ignis. :D

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Have any of you heard about this project?

http://blackgeyser.com/

Black Geyser, isometric realtime with pause RPG.

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I'd like to see Arkane try their hand at an rpg. Having not done any, it's hard to predict how that would fair. 

?

Arkane did a superb RPG.  Arx Fatalis. 

It's cheap on GoG if you'd like to play it.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 2

It's also on Steam for the same price >:-F

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I haven't played Arx Fatalis myself, and don't quite consider Dark Messiah and RPG. Regardless it's a different studio today, and last I heard Harvey Smith is taking a bit of a break from directing. I personally want to see them push the types of games that they have already invested themselves in, if they can tailor those into a unique style of rpg that'd be great. I think the team has the talent and ability to pull of an rpg set against the dense first-person style that they are known for.

In fact they are probably even more geared towards making Paradox's Vampire gameplay wise than Obsidian is. Especially if they work with MCA again.

Seems a better approach. WoW forums are declaring this WoD 2.0, but that is meaningless :lol:

I mean WoD was amazing at launch (content wise, the bugginess of servers is a separate issue), it's post launch it suffered. So WoD 2.0 with proper post launch support sounds amazing to me. :)

I'd like to see Arkane try their hand at an rpg. Having not done any, it's hard to predict how that would fair. 

?

Arkane did a superb RPG.  Arx Fatalis. 

It's cheap on GoG if you'd like to play it.

There's this brutal ambiance to games from the late 90s and early '00 that's not merely the result of a low level of graphical technology. They still kinda had the spirit that the player should 'deal with it' (aka the game world), explore and find their way - or just die. So compelling. Because you know that the game is mostly 'indifferent' to you, so it ratchets up the tension. If you got lost in Gothic, well then, you best ****ing learn where everything is and you won't be lost, a mate?

Other than the Dark Souls thing - and that's not even a conscious effort to look back towards earlier game design choices but merely the Japanese continuing to make games in the styles that still hold sway in Japan -  games have become so glib that the intimidation factor is very low. 

I remember, the first dungeon of Oblivion/Skyrim was atmospheric, but after that it quickly became laughable as it was so obvious that most things were heavily stacked in the player's favor or simply designed in such a way to be always at his convenience. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 3

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Sometimes it's useful for games to give you some means of navigating the world, but they should require a bit of effort and should be more of a means to re-orient yourself.

RPGs these days tend to do away with good quest logging in favor of simple tracking quests on a radar. Which is incredibly lame. If I can't navigate the world through land-marks and location names, then maybe you should have designed you're world better. It doesn't mean you can't have an automatically updating map, but floating sky markers only make the player's world navigation seem like a deterministic slog.

• Like 1

The omnipresent quest arrow is retard academy, a sure guarantee that you won't appreciate your surroundings, or the content of the mission, or think much about what you're seeing, as you beeline toward the goal (reward) like a pavlovian muppet.

Some degree of guidance is welcome, especially in enormous games, but as things stand now, we're far from that.

• Like 1

Yes.

I felt so burned by DOS I wouldn't play DOS2 if it came bundled with a succubus. 

• Like 1

"Original Sin 2 is one of the greatest PC RPGs of all time"

The world has already forgotten.

Who said this?

I'm quite sure that most people who praise Original Sin played for ~10 hours and then moved on to other things. The game was really good at leaving a nice first impression, with the pretty graphics and and interactivity. 

Then you find out it has drivel for story, the combat is always the same, it's slow as molasses, quests are unexplained, broken or plain boring, and the companions might as well be made of cardboard. The worst part is - it's all. So. Excruciatingly. Generic. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2

Have any of you heard about this project?

http://blackgeyser.com/

Black Geyser, isometric realtime with pause RPG.

Surprised that Obsidian hasn't sent them a C&D.

Why, does Obsidian hold a copyright for isometric RTwP RPGs?  I'm pretty sure lots of companies have made those.  Granted, it does look pretty similar graphically, but that's bound to happen when you go for a realistic art style rather than going stylized.

Speaking of stylized isometric RTwP RPGs, Tower of Time comes out of early access on the 12th.

I've read some good things about it and I may well scoop it up once fully released (it helps that it's nice and cheap).

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks