The deadline itself seemed unrealistic as it was, particularly with all the changes. I for one, am glad about the delay, though I can't help but think that it should have been shifted more - towards the end of the year.

Open world type of game, basically building a gaming system from scratch - I'm concerned about the game to be honest, I think it needs much more time. I'd be much happier if they had tweaked the current Pillars mechanics which would have given them more time to work on a kick ass story. Hope I'm wrong.

Agreed. Despite being one of the "fanboys" defending this decision I actually defend it because I think Deadfire, in its current state, will not be as good as Pillars from a mechanics point of view. I have little concern about story, and the art looks beautiful, but character building and combat just doesn't seem as good as Pillars (in most respects, there are definitely some improvements).

I am somewhat worried about the story, open world games tend to have to compromise on the writing the bigger they are - the more the compromise. Re the mechanics I really liked Pillars so I might be biased, hopefully the changes will be for the better.  I do have more faith in Obs than in other companies - if this was another company I'd be worried, but they have plenty of experience. Just a slight concern that they have been a bit ambitious. Time will tell! At least the delay is a good sign.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I don't bite it that they delayed the game for polish. Thay can add polish translation later. We're talking about the language polish right? 'cause I don't get how they can polish a digital game. If it was on a dvd, yes but still one month for polishing dvds sounds too long. There must be something else, some greater scheme some... CONSPIRACY!!!!???? daaaaaayam!

• Like 5

I am somewhat worried about the story, open world games tend to have to compromise on the writing the bigger they are - the more the compromise. Re the mechanics I really liked Pillars so I might be biased, hopefully the changes will be for the better.  I do have more faith in Obs than in other companies - if this was another company I'd be worried, but they have plenty of experience. Just a slight concern that they have been a bit ambitious. Time will tell! At least the delay is a good sign.

True, but its not openworld. Just world map view is quite a bit more indepth than traditional IE style game. Interactive world maps have been done before, albeit to in that exact form, and game still focuses on tight, prerendered, handcrafted locations. 

I would hope storytelling adn design will be tighter than in PoE1, as now when calm, repetitive exploring has been moved to overworld map, the locations themselves should be more impactful. 

• Like 1

I don't bite it that they delayed the game for polish. Thay can add polish translation later. We're talking about the language polish right? 'cause I don't get how they can polish a digital game. If it was on a dvd, yes but still one month for polishing dvds sounds too long. There must be something else, some greater scheme some... CONSPIRACY!!!!???? daaaaaayam!

Everything in polish sounds better though. 

• Like 1

True, but its not openworld. Just world map view is quite a bit more indepth than traditional IE style game. Interactive world maps have been done before, albeit to in that exact form, and game still focuses on tight, prerendered, handcrafted locations. 

I would hope storytelling adn design will be tighter than in PoE1, as now when calm, repetitive exploring has been moved to overworld map, the locations themselves should be more impactful. 

Well, I think the term open world is a bit of a misnomer anyway. Basically, semantics aside, it just refers to a huge game world with a ton of side quests, and the impression that the player has freedom to do what they want - farm, pick flowers. So what I hear of Deadfire it does essentially fall into that category, maybe not officially but close enough. Problem with open world games is invariably the plot suffers - its absolutely impossible to have a tight, focused story in an open world environment. I'm not strictly against open worlds - I still fire Skyrim up occasionally but I expect different things from different gaming companies - and with Obs I expect a better than average writing.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

Well, I think the term open world is a bit of a misnomer anyway. Basically, semantics aside, it just refers to a huge game world with a ton of side quests, and the impression that the player has freedom to do what they want - farm, pick flowers. So what I hear of Deadfire it does essentially fall into that category, maybe not officially but close enough. Problem with open world games is invariably the plot suffers - its absolutely impossible to have a tight, focused story in an open world environment. I'm not strictly against open worlds - I still fire Skyrim up occasionally but I expect different things from different gaming companies - and with Obs I expect a better than average writing.

Except for the fact that you can't farm and what not in Deadfire.

So no, Deadfire is not an "open world" RPG á la the Elder scrolls-series.

And no, it's not about semantics.

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

From what I was hearing regarding the beta I am not surprised that they are putting the dates back to be honest, especially with the flip flopping with Might (but Might is cool and you all know it). As for the open world debate, who cares?

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

From the devs themselves:

"The god Eothas, once thought to be destroyed, returns to life in the form of a titanic statue – nearly killing you as he destroys everything in his path. It’s up to you, the Watcher of Caed Nua, to discover Eothas’ purpose and decide to help or hinder his efforts.

With an enormous open world, a massive cast of characters, beautiful hand-painted backgrounds, and a story you can play your way, Obsidian Entertainment is proud to bring you Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire."

But as I said open world is essentially semantics - a meaningless term to distinguish between a game with a tightly woven story and one where there is much more freedom to explore.

And there is no hard line, so something like Deadfire could fit in the middle comfortably. I have no problems with open world games, and I am not interested in starting a debate. I am just mentioning that due to the amount of work required with the new mechanics, the ships and the massive map there is a chance the story is going to suffer. Which just happens to be a characteristic of open world games :)

Lord of Light

Obsidian at least could give acsess to beta for every one who pre-ordered the game(via steam or gog),that would be a nice move :yes:

As I said in another thread on the topic, at the time of backing there was no firm release date so Obsidian haven't broken any promise they made when you backed. Given that others paid extra to get beta access I don't really think this is a reasonable request.

Exactly like me. But is it official ?

Josh has replied to a post asking why there's a delay on his Tumblr. His response was "bugs". Also Obsidian's official Twitter has a picture of a calendar with someone circling the 8th of May on it. I don't think they've literally made an announcement but it seems all but confirmed.

but backers have beta since november 2017 so they get it as early as possible. I pre-order the game in Steam 2 weeks ago where was clear release date 3 april,so kinda broken promises.

I have no problems with open world games, and I am not interested in starting a debate. I am just mentioning that due to the amount of work required with the new mechanics, the ships and the massive map there is a chance the story is going to suffer. Which just happens to be a characteristic of open world games :)

Why would that happen? Did obsidian layed off writers to make space for coders&game designers? It is possible that story will be weak, but it would have little to do with expanding map design. Those two are governed by different teams. The challange for narrative team is making sure all locations can be visited in every order, however, it is something Obsidian handled really well in New Vegas. Even PoE1 hardly relied on linear progression, even though it had chapter based bottlenecks.

It doesn’t seem like the nature of the game changed much. Even the more systemic content (ship captains, events etc.) are handcrafted.

• Like 1

You are confusing sandbox ("do whatever you want" simulations) with open world (large map with none-linear content, note here that the map can be split into smaller areas with loading).

Pretty much all sandbox are open world, but not all open world are sandbox (example The Witcher 3 is not a sandbox game, but it is open world).

Deadfire just has a large map with none-linear content like POE1, KoTOR2, BG2, etc did. The only difference is that you move the ship at sea instead of just loading the next area you clicked on.

Edited by morhilane
  • Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

but backers have beta since november 2017 so they get it as early as possible. I pre-order the game in Steam 2 weeks ago where was clear release date 3 april,so kinda broken promises.

Oh you're not a backer? In which case, if you feel Obsidian's changing of the release date is bad enough, request a refund on Steam. That's what they're there for.

• Like 4

By the way: backers didn't have access to the beta in general. Only backers who paid the extra 20$ got access to the beta. Having paid 20$ in order to help Obsidian with feedback and bug searching leads to a minor entitlement affliction at least. ;)

• Like 6

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Honestly, the beta isn't much to get excited over.  It's a tiny sandbox without plot, story, or anything of consequence.

Unlike other "betas" which are full games in an unfinished state, the Deadfire beta is just a narrow slice of content so that players can get a feel for combat mechanics and a couple other new features.  It's cool that Obsidian is allowing testers to submit feedback prior to the game's release, but in reality it feels like "test-driving" a new car without ever leaving the dealership.

The review copies sent off to media outlets seem to have way more content than what's found in the beta.  That would be something to be envious of!  ;)

• Like 2

I am just mentioning that due to the amount of work required with the new mechanics, the ships and the massive map there is a chance the story is going to suffer. Which just happens to be a characteristic of open world games :)

Nope. Story is already set. I'm sure there's a lot of bugs, but that won't affect the story. The story is what it is at this point.

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox