Games only load once at start-up

Dr. Explosion

Question

This is a weird one. It started happening last night, and I didn't think too much of it at the time (if I had, I would've gone back to an old save to see if that solved the problem).

My saves show up just fine and I can load them up from the main menu but once I'm actually in the game, trying to load/quickload a game produces a black screen and then nothing happens. The cursor is visible and I can move it around, but the normal loading screen fails to show up and I'm forced to alt-tab out of the game, close the program and re-start to actually load anything, which is a pain because I also have the loud footsteps bug and quicksaving and quickloading is the only solution I've found for that one. I've tried searching online, and found nothing that works

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xk8va542o7l0ree/Desktop.rar?dl=0

^^^^ My save game, system specs, and the output log

Edited by Dr. Explosion
  • Like 1

Pretend what I wrote was actually really witty and/or deep.

4 answers to this question

Hi I'm having this same issue. I recently reinstalled Pillars of Eternity and can't seem to get it to load a save. Every time I attempt to load a new character save it gives me a solid black screen and I'm forced to quit out of the game. Or sometimes it will take me back to start screen. I can still load older saves, but can't create any new ones

• Like 1

Good to see I'm not the only one. Bad to see no one seems to have a fix.

Edit: I installed the newest GeForce drivers and tried again. By chance, I left the cursor over the buttons at the bottom, and the mouse over commands showed up. If I hit escape, I can hear the menu popping up, but I can't see it. I tried selecting all and moving them approximately where the enemy is in my quicksave, but no fight happened. So the game is there and loaded, it's just not physically appearing on-screen.

Edited by Spiffy McBang
  • Like 1

Well crud, I found this forum and created an account for this exact problem hoping to find a fix myself. I guess I'll bookmark it and keep checking back. I really wanted to finally get into this game, too. But it's one of those ones where you need to experiment and die a lot to learn how to play it right, and this bug makes that no fun.

Problem went away. For all the stuff I tried that didn't work, I did nothing special to make this function. The only theoretical possibility is that at one point I loaded a recent save that wasn't the latest, but that save was still well after the problem began.

I'll call it magic when it doesn't come back.