Research Survey - Data Ownership and Internet Privacy

Raithe

Right, as some of you might have picked up, I've been buried in the return to university to finish off my interrupted degree, and am in the middle of conducting a research paper for my "final year".

Since we're hitting an interesting point where we have a mix of people who have grown up with the Internet, and people who still remember life before the internet, I'm curious to see what patterns might emerge from looking at peoples awareness, attitudes, and general behaviours in regard to internet privacy and the question of owning your own data.

So, as part of gathering in some primary source data, I'd like to invite members of this forum to take 5 minutes to quickly run through this survey for me that I whipped up on Google Forms:  Survey

• Like 6

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Right, as some of you might have picked up, I've been buried in the return to university to finish off my interrupted degree, and am in the middle of conducting a research paper for my "final year".

Since we're hitting an interesting point where we have a mix of people who have grown up with the Internet, and people who still remember life before the internet, I'm curious to see what patterns might emerge from looking at peoples awareness, attitudes, and general behaviours in regard to internet privacy and the question of owning your own data.

So, as part of gathering in some primary source data, I'd like to invite members of this forum to take 5 minutes to quickly run through this survey for me that I whipped up on Google Forms:  Survey

soo, I gave you some personal info in survey about protecting my personal info online, enjoy :)

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

LOL, that last page was pretty personal there Raithe!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

LOL, that last page was pretty personal there Raithe!

That's them standard demographic questions at work for you. ;)

Although I apparently picked up a couple of bonus marks for including multiple options beyond "Male/Female" under the gender, and having "prefer not to say" under most of the rest.

You go do an Applied Computing degree, and you end up having to pick up basic sociology questionnaire skills for your grades....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Nice survey, though some questions left a bit of room for contradictions. Like, „the government“ is a very broad term, so at the same time I’d be the most worried if they got certain data, but they’d also be one if the entities I’d trust most with my data (like biometrics or address).

• Like 2

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows