Katrina Garsten leaves Obsidian

Infinitron

https://twitter.com/kgarsten/status/972313523689701378

Friends, I have big news. After 4.5 amazing years, today marks my last day at Obsidian. This company is incredible and I’m going to miss everyone so much.

I have a new adventure waiting for me, and I’ll have more info soon.

Until next time, @Obsidian. Thanks for everything.

No! What will happen now to Deadfire! BIRBS! At least we have a puppet Katrina...

The puppet Katrina has been infused with a piece of Katrina's soul, and will act as a surrogate for her within the company while she's moved on elsewhere. It'll become the Steward of Obsidian HQ. 1_0_by_babblingfaces-dbdhcc6.png

Good luck on your next venture, Katrina!

Edited by algroth
  • Like 7

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

She definitely did some awesome work carrying Deadfire from the Fig campaign through the latest backup update. I truly wish her the best on the next adventure!

pancakes now unopposed on the path to victory in the breakfast wars

Don't try and deny it.  Her departure will leave a waffle-shaped hole in the heart of the Obsidian community.   :p

261237784008720384.png

• Like 5

Bump bump bump bump... another one bites the dust

Bump bump bump bump... another one bites the dust

Good for Katrina, not good for Obsidian. She was loved by fans... Wherever she goes/does next I'm sure she will be happier and better off.

Goodbye Katrina, you will be missed!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Uh, what an awkward time a few weeks before release. I get the campaign is basically over but still. There were only just interviews coming out with her advertising the game.

Umm, not really. Her work on Deadfire is pretty much done at this point and if she is moving on to an another company it would be really pointless to have her start working on something else at Obsidian. Fig campaign isn't a full time gig at this point either. Most of that work was done prior to the whole campaign even starting and during the launch.

The campaign is almost done. They will have few updates before the release date and she was the producer responsible for the art team, her part is done in that area. They aren't going to create any more effects or art into the game 3 weeks before launch. The artists are busy working on DLC stuff or have moved on to an another game completely.

Hate the living, love the dead.

What did she do for Obsidian, PR / advertising?

I think she was a producer.
Yep. And unless something drastically changed between Pillars 1 and Deadfire, she was the only producer.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I think she was a producer.
Yep. And unless something drastically changed between Pillars 1 and Deadfire, she was the only producer.

Only? Pillars had 4 producers.

Adam as the executive producer, Rose Gomez as Associate producer ( Katrina's title afaik on Deadfire) and two more with additional production credits.

Deadfire has had at least 3 producers working on the game.

Edited by Flouride

Probably accurate. Feargus said there was one in Road to Eternity, but he may have been speaking off the cuff.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Probably accurate. Feargus said there was one in Road to Eternity, but he may have been speaking off the cuff.

Official credits got 4. He might have been speaking about the initial Kickstarter launch. They added staff after they got more money than they expected.

Heh... glad I wasn't the first to ask that.  I feel like I'm out of the loop on all things Obsidian.

Chris Avellone still works at Obsidian, right?  :-

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Heh... glad I wasn't the first to ask that. I feel like I'm out of the loop on all things Obsidian.

Chris Avellone still works at Obsidian, right? :-

Wait, Obsidian? I thought these were the Black Isle forums?
Please god, don’t let Fluffle find this thread :(
  • Like 1

That's one of the reasons I don't feel that motivated to work in the game biz. I'm a big fan of a secure workplace, and having to change every couple years for whatever reasons is clashing with that.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Uh, what an awkward time a few weeks before release. I get the campaign is basically over but still. There were only just interviews coming out with her advertising the game.

Umm, not really. Her work on Deadfire is pretty much done at this point and if she is moving on to an another company it would be really pointless to have her start working on something else at Obsidian. Fig campaign isn't a full time gig at this point either. Most of that work was done prior to the whole campaign even starting and during the launch.

The campaign is almost done. They will have few updates before the release date and she was the producer responsible for the art team, her part is done in that area. They aren't going to create any more effects or art into the game 3 weeks before launch. The artists are busy working on DLC stuff or have moved on to an another game completely.

It doesn't look good. This can easily be interpreted as her being fired, like there is trouble at Obsidian, especially coupled with the delay and for what? Just so she can move on a few weeks earlier?

It doesn't look good. This can easily be interpreted as her being fired, like there is trouble at Obsidian, especially coupled with the delay and for what? Just so she can move on a few weeks earlier?
Flouride shared his source and it does appear that Katrina’s role was limited to stuff that is mostly already finished. If she was looking to break away to work on other things, then this was probably the right time to do so.