Pillars of Eternity 2 (steam) not starting - Telemetry is not working.

katie

Question

When I run Pillars of Eternity through Steam (basically, the second time I've run the game I think), it now does not start. The POE2 window appears... my mouse is caged... but the window is transparent, so I can see whatever windows I was seeing before (like Steam or Windows Explorer). 

If I click the mouse, the screen turns black and I see the hourglass. If I click again, the screen turns white and then the typical Windows dialog box about the application not responding shows up. When I press Okay, the POE2 window closes and the app stops running.

On my previous attempt, I played the game for only a few hours... I talked to everyone in the village, and then started exploring outside the village.

Steps I am taking to resolve it myself:

Deleting my saved games has had no effect on solving the problem (even with cloud saves turned off)

Letting the game run before killing the app manually does not seem to eventually make it work.

Rebooting my computer has no effect on solving the problem.

Uninstalling and reinstalling has no effect.

I'm attaching an export of my registry for Current User/Software/Obsidian/POE2, since that's probably where the issue is.

Deleting all of the registry key/value pairs in this registry folder fixes the issue... I can start the game. If I Enable the telemetry option when the game starts up, I get the issue again. If I disable telemetry, I can finally get to the main menu.

Exiting and restarting the game with telemetry turned off works normally.

Conclusion: Enabling telemetry is the problem :)

output_log.txt

DxDiag.txt

registry_export.txt

Edited by katie

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet