Things we like about the classics which we want in Deadfire?

But Eora is big - who knows what some forgotten ruin in a remote part of the world might contain? It is good that the whole lore of Eora is still underreported - more room for cool new stuff...  

Yes, I'm telling you that Rekke is a storm folk shipwreck from an unknown land further east from the Deadfire.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

But Eora is big - who knows what some forgotten ruin in a remote part of the world might contain? It is good that the whole lore of Eora is still underreported - more room for cool new stuff...

Yes, I'm telling you that Rekke is a storm folk shipwreck from an unknown land further east from the Deadfire.

Rekke is a sequel bait.

It was said by Josh that the Glanfathans weren't technologically advanced nor did they have better animancy skill in genereral. They just excelled at one particular field of animancy, and that was the translation and transformation of essence on a grand scale. Read this some days ago on either Twitter, Something Awful or Tumblr - can't remember where.

I'm guessing you meant Engwithans and not Glanfathans, in which case you are right: https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Engwithans#Technology

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Glanfathans are people who live in Eir Glanfath - so technically Enwithans were Glanfathans as well. :p

But yes, I actually meant Engwithans, not Glanfathans. I just read the post above mine and went with the term without thinking.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I was going to say something like that too, but felt like we were drifting off topic. However, I keep coming back to this topic and trying to find something from the AD&D games that I miss in PoE and I always come up empty. So while I don't think PoE is perfect, the improvements lie not in nostalgia ^^

• Like 2

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Something I would like not to see in Deadfire - padding!

I have grew more and more critical of Baldur's Gate2 over the years and when I restart it I always forget why... and that's padding! While its nice to have lengthy games, don't make game longer than it needs to be. After absolutely delicious first half Baldur's Gate looses it's speed once you leave Ankathla: Pirate Island is empty, underdark, while cool in concept, has a lot of walking from one point to another and passively watch the story develop. And then you leave underdark and you have this really weak content just before finale - killing vampres 'again' + 3 completely empty, pointless and boring new maps. 

A lot of fat and empty space which earlier quests simply didn't have. Let it end already.

Sorry, had to vent for a bit.

• Like 3

Something I would like not to see in Deadfire - padding!

I have grew more and more critical of Baldur's Gate2 over the years and when I restart it I always forget why... and that's padding! While its nice to have lengthy games, don't make game longer than it needs to be. After absolutely delicious first half Baldur's Gate looses it's speed once you leave Ankathla: Pirate Island is empty, underdark, while cool in concept, has a lot of walking from one point to another and passively watch the story develop. And then you leave underdark and you have this really weak content just before finale - killing vampres 'again' + 3 completely empty, pointless and boring new maps. 

A lot of fat and empty space which earlier quests simply didn't have. Let it end already.

Sorry, had to vent for a bit.

Considering that Deadfire will be much larger than Pillars, which is already a pretty hefty game... padding is a fairly serious concern.

Edited by MortyTheGobbo

I really liked the Health/Endurance system and how you really felt like you were making a real trek and hard journey out into the wilderness and had to save your supplies.

and getting back to a city felt like a real relief and safety, I'd like them to keep that.

It was honestly nigh my favourite part of the game, it gave resting real meaning and made when we rested with our tents in a big dark deep cave real cozy.

Edited by alexis13
  • Like 1

I love padding. I always play BG as one big fat megamod. I try to choose the installed mods carefully, as I don't want to play crap that only extends the game with cheap battling, but I love mods like Tales Of The Deep Gardens, that are lovely crafted, athough they have nothing to do with the main story. I hate it when a story ends. So BG2 was perfect in my eyes. Like Odysseus adventures or something like that.

Edited by Lord_Mord
  • Like 2

---

We're all doomed

• Limiting text is a bad idea.  Sometimes dialogue could have been more concise, but there were plenty of short conversations in there too.  BG II definitely didn't limit dialogue to one to two lines between characters anyways.  Jan in particular could go on and on.

You misunderstood. OP has nothing against long dialogue, but would rather see less sentences in one "box". It means he wants to have long dialogues as they come, but with more "Continue" clicking, so the big wall of text is spreaded out.

This is correct.

Just the sight of a wall of text is kind of off putting. The same amount of text spread over a few boxes really helps. For me at least!

• Like 1

nowt

I do like the guy in Baldur's Gate who just yaps on. Lord... something. He is really pretentious and just says really long winded stuff about adventuring but doesn't actually say much at all. WHAT IS HIS NAME?!

nowt

I do like the guy in Baldur's Gate who just yaps on. Lord... something. He is really pretentious and just says really long winded stuff about adventuring but doesn't actually say much at all. WHAT IS HIS NAME?!

Reginald "Longtooth" Worthington III

@ Blade and Stars inn

• Like 3

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I will let this thread die after this but... I actually really like that you don't get constant quest updates and sub quests and yadda yadda yadda. I don't thing any game has perfected it yet but I do like the journal of BG2. It can get confusing if you take on too much at once but it feels more... natural? PoE just feels like a checklist.

• Like 1

nowt

I will let this thread die after this but... I actually really like that you don't get constant quest updates and sub quests and yadda yadda yadda. I don't thing any game has perfected it yet but I do like the journal of BG2. It can get confusing if you take on too much at once but it feels more... natural? PoE just feels like a checklist.

Sort of. I tend to treat journal more like a part of an UI than the world. I want it to be as functional as possible. I don't use journal for immersion, but to remind myself what quest I took and abandoned long time ago, or to refresh a location of a quest I want to do. Ideally journal shouldn't be a part of a quest, and often enough I would complete quests in PoE1 without consulting the journal. 

• Like 1

Sort of. I tend to treat journal more like a part of an UI than the world. I want it to be as functional as possible. I don't use journal for immersion, but to remind myself what quest I took and abandoned long time ago, or to refresh a location of a quest I want to do. Ideally journal shouldn't be a part of a quest, and often enough I would complete quests in PoE1 without consulting the journal. 

I get what you mean but I think having as little UI stuff as possible is a good thing. Or maybe I just like the writing in the little journal entries in BG1/2 because they are kind of amusing and have character, kind of like Morrowind as well. Whereas Pillars is more like Skyrim. Just gives you information about the location of the target or whatever. A least from what I remember!

• Like 1

nowt

They are getting rid of suppression? Citation?

They talked about it in one of the earlier twitch streams. I can't give you a link, but I can corroborate that this is what was said. 

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

They'd actually said that different slots will have different bonus (e.g. might bonus only gloves and rings). I think that a reduced amount of suppression will be present, but I'm not sure/not informed well enough.

Edited by Daled