White March - Deleted files come back

Sloane

Question

I just installed the White March expansion and started a new play. I decided to recover some disk space by deleting the old save files from earlier plays from before the White March expansion. To my surprise, the deleted files kept coming back. When I go to load a save file I see all the deleted files again. I can delete the files, verify they are gone and see the old files when I try to load a saved file. I can reboot the system after verifying the files are gone and see them back again.

I am not likely to run out of disk space with a 4TB drive but the load and save times are getting noticeably longer.

Sloane

5 answers to this question

Do you use Steam?

If the answer is "yes":

most likely the Steam Cloud with its auto-backup and synchronizing of savegames does this. It is a very nice feature (enables me to switch computers and still play with the same savegame), but in your case you should turn it off.

If the answer is "no": no idea. :)

Loading times can be shortened by selling stuff from your stash as well. If you have hoarded hundrets of items consider to sell all but the uniques. Also sell furs, books and stuff - you don't need them for anything. Also traps. Don't sell ingredients for enchatning though.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Do you use Steam?

I have no idea if I am using it or not. How can I tell? Is that activated in the White March expansion? I did not have this problem until I installed that expansion.

I sell most of my loot as soon as I can except for those used to enchant items so that is not the cause of the problem.

Sloane

Erm... again... do you use Steam

http://store.steampowered.com

to purchase and manage your games or not?

Problem Solved.

I do NOT have Steam installed and had no idea what it was until I looked it up. I do have GOG's Galaxy which is a rival product and the latest version has cloud backup and synchronizing. It got automatically installed when I installed White March from GOG. That was what caused my deleted files to come back. My solution was to uninstall Galaxy and the problem went away.

Cloud backup and synchronizing looks to be one of those "useful" features that is really not very useful. For that matter, Galaxy is a  "helper" that I have never found to be very helpful and normally never use but GOG always make it hard to not install it. It appears Steam is also one of those not very useful "helpers".

Personally I do not use the cloud unless I must use it to share info with someone else. With 4TB drives selling for $150, all my backup can be done locally where I own and control the drives. With the cloud, the physical drives your files reside in, belong to the cloud company. When some of the early cloud companies went bankrupt, those drives went to their creditors who wiped them out and sold them. The people who had files on the drives lost everything and the courts ruled they had no legal right to retrieve the files they had stored on them. Another case where the law has not caught up with new technology.

Sloane

• Like 1