Great 6-Person Party: final run analysis and thoughts

heldred, I am so grateful for your posting this team build.  People will be reading it for years to come — here I am four years later making comments. I want to talk about my experience with this team (the cipher version), in case anyone is hesitant to try it.

I’ve played this game over 2000 hours, and this is the most fun I’ve had with a team.  (POTD solo monk and solo wizard were really the most fun, but a lot of micromanagement.)

I went straight into the Eothasian temple before anything else, which I’d never done, and it went well with a lot of resting.  I shamelessly play the money machine there to get 200-300k cp, which I don’t consider a cheat, since it’s built into the game, doesn’t affect achievements, and I hate being short of cash.  I buy the best equipment available, plus enchanting resources and scrolls.

This team taught me the value of scrolls and high Lore for everyone.  At level 6 they went to the battle of Yenwood with no allies other than the experienced soldiers from Marshall Forwyn for 10k.  They kicked ass.  (It took two rounds of scrolls and buff spells.)  My priest kept Korgrak alive for a long time, which tied up five enemies.  My cipher was the only one who died; a scroll got him up and going again, and he got to finish off Gathbin, who was tough with exceptional plate and high defenses.

Haven’t finished a run through, but so much fun!  I hope I’ve answered some of the questions about how this team does in the early game.

Thanks again, and I will look at more of your posts.

• 1 month later...

I basically agree with your entire assessment here. I think it's a known fact now that the caster classes (Druid, Priest, Wizard) are head and shoulders above the other classes and truly in a league of their own. Below them is stuff like Chanter, Paladin, Cipher who hold their own but have some limit on their usage of powerful effects whether through building focus, phrases or having to be high level. I also agree with building everyone to basically be a tank in their own right because of how the AI targets the party based on it's defences. Overall, I think the trio Druid, Priest and Wizard could beat the game just those 3 very easily (albeit with lots of micro) and the remainder of the classes are just there to autopilot through some encounters. I don't think a party gets much better than this (without class stacking) besides maybe replacing the Barbarian with a Cipher as you suggested or building your priest into a Fire Priest as per MaxQuests build for a more potent damage dealer while still retaining the buffing prowess.