Hi, I've been lurking on the forums for a bit, decided to finally make an account :dancing:

So i just started playing Pillars again, determined to get a save completed for the upcoming sequel.

I am looking for a Melee focused build that revolves around Fire! :fdevil:  and preferably using Battle forged and retaliation to its fullest potential and is able to see as much content (speech checks etc) as possible.

I came to the conclusion that three classes can fit this criteria, though please correct me if i am wrong. (Barbarian, Monk and possibly Priest)

I am sort of leaning towards Barbarian due to the fact i like to be able to use weapons and heavy armor,  though it sounds like Monk has the best retaliation/battle forged synergies but i am not sure if Monk is as effective when not using their fists? and does heavier armor have adverse effects on them?

Priest has my interest too due to the combination of Fire Godlike and Magran deity, i think that could be interesting in terms of role play, but are they able to effectively use weapons and armor or are they purely caster focused? and is their any chance for battle forged to be useful as a priest?

I have looked at some builds but they don't quite fit what i am after, like Monksterlasher which seems dependent on a weapon that is accessed far into the game, and the Anvil which sounds great but again I'd like to know if there is a way i can use weapons/heavy armor effectively with a Monk.

Any feed back would be appreciated, thanks guys.

I don't agree with your assessment of the Monksterlasher in two ways: it's not really that dependent on Bittercut, and you can get Bittercut pretty early (need to complete one quest in Act 2 to unlock the White March, then it's dropped by an enemy in an area immediately accessible once you go there).

A Firebrand Barbarian might also be worth looking at, would really emphasize the fire part.

I'd want something with a higher health pool than a Priest to take advantage of Battle Forged, but you could probably make it work.

Paladins are the other melee class with inherent fire abilities (Flames of Devotion and Sacred Immolation). The Darcozzi Paladini and Goldpact Knights have order-specific talents than go further in the directions you're looking (burn DoT or Flame Shield attached to Flames of Devotion).

• Like 1

You can use weapons and heavy armor with a monk; the monk's talents still work with weapons.

The only thing that monks have that doesn't work with weapons is the bonus damage and accuracy inherent for their fists (see Transcendent Suffering on the wiki). Of course, you could wield a weapon in your shield hand and nothing in your main hand to use both fist and weapon.

Given what you are looking for, I would recommend either a build like "The Anvil" if going monk (best retaliation damage to anything not immune to fire and still some retaliation if you use the "Blood Testament" gloves), or a Barbarian with Barbaric Retaliation, One Stands Alone, and Blooded (not as great retaliation, but you get carnage, as well as some cool soulbounds such as the Dragon's Maw). I would recommend looking into the Untank build if you are going barbarian. 

• Like 1

Hi,

first of all: monks work as well with weapons as with fists (no drawbacks whatsoever) and also with heavy armor (also no drawbacks besides the usual recovery penalty that everybody gets when using heavy armor).

The Monksterlasher shows the potential of Battle Forged with Turning Wheel, Scion of Flame and Blood Testment Gloves. THis works with every monk build with a fire godlike. You are not set on sabres or whatever as weapons.

When it comes to a char build that evolves around fire, there is one item that I recommend all the time lately: The Belt of the Royal Daedfire Cannoneer.

That's because it not only gives you Firebrand 3/rest (paired with Forgemaster's Gloves 6/rest) but also a Flame Shield once you catch a crit - perfect for every retaliation build since it stacks with normal item retaliation and Battle Forged. And it comes superealry in the game. Yay!

When it comes to retaliation, two classes are best:

- monk because of the reasons explained in the Monksterlasher/Anvil builds

- barbarian because things like One Stands Alone, Blooded and most importantly Bloodlust & Blood Thirst work with retaliation.

The monk generally does better with dual weapons, but Firebrand is still a great weapon. Imagine its enormous base damage, paired with +60% burn damage from Trunung Wheel and 25% shocking damage from Lightning Strikes, +50% crush damage from Torment's Reach and +20% raw damage from Blood Testment gloves...

barb: the synergy between Blood Thirst and Battle Forged and Flame Shield is ju8st awesome: once you kill an enemy you'll have 0 recovery, killing even faster. In my opinion this is the best class for the use with the belt. It's just pure destruction. Also his enormous health pool makes Battle Forged viable. Barbaic Retaliaion stacks with both Battle Forged and Flame Shield.

But there are two other good choices for this belt:

- priest (preferably of Magran): Firebrand works with Inspired Flame and every Weapon Focus. That means you can achive fighter-like base accuracy. It also works pretty well with stuff like Devotions/Minor Avatar and so on. Retaliation is not the strong part of a priest though. His health is too low. But his nice fire spells like Shining Beacon and so on make up for this.

- Paladin (preferably Goldpact Knight or Bleak Walker): Flames of Devotion + Intense Flames + Scion of Flame + Remember Rhakan Field or Enduring FLames can crit for over 300 damage. It's quite awesome. With Runner's Wounding Shots you can get three very powerful attacks per encounter that can potentially one-shot enemies. His health is ok - while not as efficient with retaliation as monk or barbarian he's still ok. Later you can add Sacred Immolation which is very powerful and... fiery. ;)

I played all of those variants and the most fun I had with the barb - because the synergy with between Belt (Firebrand+Flame Shield), Fire Godlike and Blood Thirst is just jawdropping.

I also played a rogue with Firebrand - while he's no good for retaliation his damage per hit with Sneak Attack + Deathblows, combined with the absurd base damage of Firebrand is very satisfying. Also a Backstab with Firebrand from invisibility (use the Cloak of the Master Mystic) is pure fun.

Another option would be a fighter with Disciplined Barrage + Knockdown + Confident Aim (basically dps fighter).

What you want to do for Firebrand: alsways take Scion of Flame (+20% damage), also take Merciless Hand (Doemenel faction) and see that you score crits. Firebrand is Annihilating, meaning it has double crit damage bonus.

As I said: I would pick the barb. 

If something sounds interesting I can elaborate.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thank you all for the feed back, much appreciated.

Think I'll give the Barbarian a go.

What sort of attribute distribution would you suggest for the Barbarian? I would prefer not to have a dump stat if possible due to the hopes of being able to pass as many speech checks as possible whilst still having a solid combat character (if possible)

You can go with lowish DEX because Frenzy + Bloodlust + Bloodthirst will make sure your recovery is short enough.

Also RES doesn't need to be high for this build. MIG and INT should be high as well as CON and good PER also doesn't hurt. MIG, PER and INT cover enough dialogue options. For more speech checks you would need high RES as well, but with this build high RES is not very useful.

• Like 1

You can go with lowish DEX because Frenzy + Bloodlust + Bloodthirst will make sure your recovery is short enough.

Also RES doesn't need to be high for this build. MIG and INT should be high as well as CON and good PER also doesn't hurt. MIG, PER and INT cover enough dialogue options. For more speech checks you would need high RES as well, but with this build high RES is not very useful.

Might 18

Con 16

Dex 4

Per 15

Int 15

Res 10

How is that for spread? should i have more Dex? less Might?

When not min-maxing I personally would do it like this
(just a suggestion because 4 DEX is awfully slow. Recovery will be ok because of all the speed buffs, but casting Frenzy and such would take a long time and the early game would feel very sluggish):

MIG: 16

CON: 14

DEX: 08

PER: 16

INT: 16

RES: 08

Or something like that. High INT is very good for Heart of Fury later on and of course you Frenzy & Bloolust last longer. Also, if you want to take Veteran's Recovery then high MIG and INT are always good. Also with Shod-in-Faith boots which are enough to keep this dude alive most of the time in my opinion.

• Like 2

About battle priest

SeFBOXh.png

Magran, of course.

Stats:

MIG: 16

CON: 10

DEX: 10

PER: 15

INT: 17

RES: 10

Weapons: 2H Swords

1st half of the game - Whisper of Yenwood (in Caed Nua Great Hall) + Shame or Glory (reward for Crucible Knights quest)

2dn half - Steadfast + Sheated in Autumn/Abidon Hammer (+4 Might)

Armor:

1st half of the game - whatever you like

2nd half - Gwisk Glas (+2 Might, Second Chance)

Talents:

2nd level: Ispired Flame (+10 swords accuracy)

4rd level: Aggrandizing Radiance

6th level: Outlander's Frenzy

8th level: Weapon focus/Something else like defence talent or bonus fire damage talent.

10th level: Spell Mastery - Armor of Faith

12th level: Spell Mastery - Holy Power (Might & Deflection/Concentration buff) - your main spell through the game

14th level: Spell Nastery - Circle of Protection/Dire Blessing

16th level: Spell Nastery - Devotions for the Faithful

Tested on PotD difficulty - works fine with a medium micro. Be very careful until 6-7th level.

May be Boeroer can add something ;)

Edited by Phenomenum

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, long time lurker here and I'm looking forward for a POE1 run for an import save when I get POE2 soon.

I would like to know what talents work best with the Fire Godlike Barbarian build?

Sorry if replying to a 2 month old thread is considered necroing here :p.