Request: Optional skull icons/above level notifiers + optional floating numbers

Because I (and probably others as well) like to find out myself - the hard way - if something's "above my level" and shouldn't necessarily be tackled at the current time.

Don't know about you but If I'm going for POTD right away I expect the game to not hold my hand like that. I'm well aware that I'm entering a world of pain and don't need the game to remind me, thank you very much.

MoNVdBr.jpg   iMSxokM.jpg

+ any other "above level" indicators I haven't come across yet or don't know of because they're not featured in the Beta.

Also - is it too much to ask for a toggle to hide the floating red damage/green healing numbers this time around?

Always wondered why this wasn't included, for instance as one of the optional helper features/visual indicators of Expert Mode in PoE1 already. Considering that you could refer to the combat log as well for the exact amount of damage or healing done at any time, effectively rendering the floating numbers redundant.

Ype0VQU.jpg

Thanks for considering.

• Like 10

I'd also like to have the option to hide the floating damage numbers. They don't look very pretty and all the other stuff that's going on on the battlefield is already enough visual/UI kerfuffle.

• Like 10

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Because I (and probably others as well) like to find out myself - the hard way - if something's "above my level" and shouldn't necessarily be tackled at the current time.

Don't know about you but If I'm going for POTD right away I expect the game to not hold my hand like that. I'm well aware that I'm entering a world of pain and don't need the game to remind me, thank you very much.

MoNVdBr.jpg   iMSxokM.jpg

+ any other "above level" indicators I haven't come across yet or don't know of because they're not featured in the Beta.

On Path of the Damned this should definitely be disabled by default. There really is no point to issue another warning like that when there already is one (in boldface) at the start of the game, stating that Path of the Damned

"is only intended for players who want the most punishing encounters!".

Which virtually makes -every- encounter there is a potentially punishing encounter. No need to mark them again as "too hard for your current level" or stick a silly skull icon next to it so that you don't forget what you have been signed up for when choosing Path of the Damned difficulty.

Really should be an option to tick or untick in the "Difficulty" settings or as suggested included with the other optional punitive gameplay features under Expert Mode.

As one of those "less is more" UI/HUD purists I'd appreciate the option to hide the floating numbers as well.

• Like 4

I am surprised it is not in the game already. In early streams when Josh pitched this “skull” addition he also mentioned it will be optional. I find it handy as gettting locked into an encounter two levels two high and having to reload isn’t my idea of fun and immersion either, but making it optional is a must.

• Like 2

I second the suggestion to have the option hide the floating damage numbers, as well as the "No Pen" messages.

I can perfectly understand that some people would like to have that feedback, so let us keep it as an option. However, I myself see it as a bit of a "pollution" to the otherwise very beautiful graphics and design of the world, and would be very glad to get rid of it : I will use the combat log to get these informations. I really want my fights to look gorgeous on the screen, and not be pestered by red numbers above my characters !

• Like 4

I think this would be a good option to add, and an obvious one to be rolled into Expert mode as well.

Also agree about floating damage numbers: so often I can't read them even if I wanted to so they just add visual clutter.

On Path of the Damned this should definitely be disabled by default. There really is no point to issue another warning like that when there already is one (in boldface) at the start of the game, stating that Path of the Damned

"is only intended for players who want the most punishing encounters!".

Which virtually makes -every- encounter there is a potentially punishing encounter. No need to mark them again as "too hard for your current level" or stick a silly skull icon next to it so that you don't forget what you have been signed up for when choosing Path of the Damned difficulty.

Not really. I can understand why it would be disabled by default if you are playing on Expert mode, but PotD buffs enemy stats but leaves the game otherwise unchanged (e.g. I still get AoE templates and information on enemy defences during combat).

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 2

First and foremost, I really, really want a way to get rid of those high-level warning pop-ups. A blight upon any good CRPG!

Please, let us have a toggle for those, as I want to find out the hard way if something is "above my level".

• Like 4

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

If both options aren't just included with the Beta but are present in the final release version, good.
If that's not the case - well, then Obsidian should most definitely try to squeeze them in or make them available via a Day 1 or later patch. POTD on Expert mode and Trial of Iron with those skull icons resp. "underleveled" notifications still in place really isn't POTD on Expert mode and Trial of Iron anymore.

• Like 1

I'd love to see this fixed now, with them getting extra time and all.

Having combat numbers and statistics is in a way a meta system, but one that we expect in this kind of CRPG.

But having pop-up windows, shaped like any other window, giving us story info, etc, informing us that something is "above of our level" is one meta level too much for me.

It breaks the CRPG illusion, and turns the game into some MMORPG or single-player MMORPG-wannabe, like Amalur. No, thanks. 

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

• 1 month later...

Also - is it too much to ask for a toggle to hide the floating red damage/green healing numbers this time around?

Always wondered why this wasn't included, for instance as one of the optional helper features/visual indicators of Expert Mode in PoE1 already. Considering that you could refer to the combat log as well for the exact amount of damage or healing done at any time, effectively rendering the floating numbers redundant.

Ype0VQU.jpg

Thanks for considering.

This was brought up during the Drowned Barrows stream a couple minutes ago and according to @Aarik D this has been rolled into Expert Mode, meaning:

Without Expert Mode -> floating damage numbers, "Stunned!", "Paralyzed!" and all that

With Expert Mode -> none of that

Would have preferred a separate checkbox to tick or untick but I guess beggars can't be choosers in this case.

- I want to play without the game tells me how difficult it will be. I like how it was in the good old times of Gothic 1+2.

You can go whereever you want right from the start, but most things will destroy you right away. Somebody might tell you that you should stay on the road and go to the next town, but you are free to attack a demon at lv1 armed with a wooden stick.

- I also want that floating numbers gone because I can see it in the combat log.

This was also a problem in PST. The floating numbers were very irritating there, but it did not have a combat log at all. The screen was full of numbers and I still had no idea who was hitting who.

For my first playthrough I want to go without difficulty indicators and without level scaling. Find out the difficulty by attacking them and think about coming back later when you see game over after a few seconds.