Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Durance's Fate?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I absolutely despise Durance. He's an ignorant and idiotic ass. If it weren't for his crappy bonus I'd sacrifice him to the effigy each and every time.

I'm still sticking with my OG character, who's a zealous priestess of Magran, making Durance redundant, and thus, worthless. If MCA ever wants to come back with some gunpowder and bearded anger, well enough, but I'm going into Deadfire with the same fire and arquebus character I started with in Pillars.

Juodas Varnas

Juodas Varnas

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

I absolutely despise Durance. He's an ignorant and idiotic ass. If it weren't for his crappy bonus I'd sacrifice him to the effigy each and every time.

Well, i'm sure that Durance doesn't like you either.

• Karkarov likes this

neotemplar

neotemplar

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts

It is funny, but I tried to get rid of Durance in the end of WM, sent him to certain death (no spoilers how) and this sick bastard managed to survive! And he also got a good ending of his personal quest! I am such a perfectionist, sometimes it plays against me. I really hate him, but it is my problem, of course.

So yes, if you are attentive to your mates, listen to all their crap and do some psychotherapy, you will fix his mind automatically. His quest is one of the easiest in fact.

• Torm51 likes this

Yria

Yria

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It is funny, but I tried to get rid of Durance in the end of WM, sent him to certain death (no spoilers how) and this sick bastard managed to survive! 

How did you manage to convince him to do that? I saw people complaining that he wouldn't agree even after you finished his quest, and the only way to make him do the spoiler thing is to draw straws and have him lose (which is random and may take a lot of reloads). 

neotemplar

neotemplar

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts

It is funny, but I tried to get rid of Durance in the end of WM, sent him to certain death (no spoilers how) and this sick bastard managed to survive! 

How did you manage to convince him to do that? I saw people complaining that he wouldn't agree even after you finished his quest, and the only way to make him do the spoiler thing is to draw straws and have him lose (which is random and may take a lot of reloads). 

Yes, the straws and save-load. I really wanted him to be gone, but also to have clear hands. When he refused my direct order he signed his own sentence! :) I also had only him and PC in the party, so this random is 1:1 (not my first run, obviously, so I knew things ahead)

UPD: I remembered that I didn't even save-loaded, the Great Random chose him at first roll. Maybe it is not even 50/50, maybe PC gets some lowering coefficient, I never saw the code.

Edited by neotemplar, 24 March 2018 - 01:25 PM.

AeonsLegend

AeonsLegend

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 518 posts

Well, i'm sure that Durance doesn't like you either.

Durance doesn't like anybody. He doesn't even like himself.

• Karkarov likes this

The Sharmat

The Sharmat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 847 posts

I'm still sticking with my OG character, who's a zealous priestess of Magran, making Durance redundant, and thus, worthless. If MCA ever wants to come back with some gunpowder and bearded anger, well enough, but I'm going into Deadfire with the same fire and arquebus character I started with in Pillars.

Realistically, since Durance chose an extreme ascetic heterodox sect for his worship of Magran, that should actually put them in conflict, not make him redundant. But I understand that there's very few class based checks with Durance even if you yourself worship Magran.

• Torm51 and Juodas Varnas like this

fgalkin

fgalkin

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Never mind, wrong thread

Edited by fgalkin, 02 April 2018 - 05:39 PM.

AlphaShard

AlphaShard

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm looking forward to not having to depend on Durance as a healer for Deadfire. 

• Skazz likes this

The Sharmat

The Sharmat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 847 posts

I've heard healing is actually more important in Deadfire so I guess a priest is still mandatory, just not for their prayer against X spells. Unless you just meant Durance in particular rather than priests in general, in which case I hope Xoti is less objectionable to you.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11188 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Why do people think they need a priest for healing?

You bring a priest for buffing. Because that's what he's best at. I mean he can also heal, sure, but that's not his best horse in the stables.

Healing can be done by a Druid, a Paladin, by self healing like Savage Definiance, Constant Recovery, Veteran's Recovery, Chanter Stuff and whatnot. The priest's healing spells aren't really that awesome to begin with.

Same in Deadfire. If you want a dedicated healer you can also pick a Livegiver or a Kind Wayfarer or even a Chanter. But if you want party-wide +20 ACC that stacks with inspirations you bring a priest and nobody else.
  • The Sharmat, Karkarov, Snowflake and 3 others like this

The Sharmat

The Sharmat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 847 posts

Why do people think they need a priest for healing?

No idea, I'm not in the beta. Just repeating what I've heard about it. If it's misinformation then I apologize for spreading it. Personally I almost never use the direct healing spells in PoE 1. There were just always better things to spend those actions and spell slots on.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11188 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'll just say that a Nature Godlike Lifegiver gets +9 Power Level for rejuvenation spells while shifted. That means +90% healing power, multiplied with MIG and also with the new 15% healing talent (which I forgot the name of). Instead of 8 health per tick Moonwell does 25 - at lvl 9... no priest is getting there anytime soon.  :dancing:

But actually I meant PoE1... ;)

Edited by Boeroer, 26 April 2018 - 11:32 AM.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3067 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

So this make some people happy, but Josh did confirm in the stream yesterday that Durance is mentioned in Deadfire.  Apparently it is fairly early on too.  Whether he is actually "in" the game is unclear though.

• JerekKruger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users