There is  - you can check it out here if you don't mind spoilers. Did you get two "visions" involving Durance after resting, and did you do Galawain's quest, then talk to Galawain afterwards with Durance in the party?

Thanks. Neither endings are "better" so I am satisfy with the one I got. I just got the White March extension and may try for the other ending. I may try for some of the other endings for the other NPCs as well.

Sloane

Well, Durance is a very particular character. I, personally, like him a lot. He is intricately tied to the lore of the game, too. Maybe you, like me, are fond of him if you say neither of the endings is better.

But if you look at Durance and the way the story describes him, together with his interactions with the rest of the team and what Hiravias says about him, I think the ending in which he finally manages to assimilate the truth of his abandonment is the better one. Imho, at least.

• Like 1

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Well, Durance is a very particular character.

Durance is a religious fanatic like Raedric. Durance's saving grace is this fanaticism only led to him killing another god rather than slaughtering innocents. In the game the gods really talk to their worshipers so for Magran to stop talking to Durance is a major blow to his faith. The only way he can ever have any happy ending is if Magran talks to him again.

Well, Durance is a very particular character. I, personally, like him a lot. He is intricately tied to the lore of the game, too. Maybe you, like me, are fond of him if you say neither of the endings is better.

But if you look at Durance and the way the story describes him, together with his interactions with the rest of the team and what Hiravias says about him, I think the ending in which he finally manages to assimilate the truth of his abandonment is the better one. Imho, at least.

agreed.

Have gun will travel.

Durance is a religious fanatic like Raedric. Durance's saving grace is this fanaticism only led to him killing another god rather than slaughtering innocents. In the game the gods really talk to their worshipers so for Magran to stop talking to Durance is a major blow to his faith. The only way he can ever have any happy ending is if Magran talks to him again.

Durance is a man in search of answers, although for the major part of the game he also wants to come across as stronger than that. The Watcher is the one who ultimately helps give him the courage to doubt completely. Also, Durance cares a lot for the plight of the common folk. It is because of the suffering of the common folk that he took part in the creation of the bomb and the purges. Impatience is another trait of his, too. That, and his affinity for action and earlier want to belong to something greater. I believe that Durance ultimately shows that a man can be perfectly fine and happy living life for their own sake without any external validation. If anything, his journey symbolizes exactly that. Interestingly, his opinion of women reinforces that idea.

Religious zealot is a bit denigrating, to be perfectly honest. Unlike Durance, Raedric never allows himself the benefit of doubt. Religious Zealot is thus more fitting for Raedric than Durance. That is not to say that both didn't commit a mistake at a point in their lives--'mistake' here meaning an act that brings personal suffering rather than something to be praised by the community.

Edited by Hulk'O'Saurus

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Durance is a man in search of answers, ... Also, Durance cares a lot for the plight of the common folk.

I saw nothing in that game that indicates that Durance care one iota for the common folk. He killed Eothas on orders from Magran. Afterwards he was abandoned by Magran and he is searching for only the answer of why he was abandoned. Durance has a void in him left by the abandonment of Magran and he is seeking in vain to fill it. The two endings for him are both appropriate and suitable for him. Durance lost the central reason for his life, the worship of Magran. Suicide is one obvious ending for someone like him. The other is a total rejection of Magran.

Durance is a man in search of answers, ... Also, Durance cares a lot for the plight of the common folk.

I saw nothing in that game that indicates that Durance care one iota for the common folk. He killed Eothas on orders from Magran. Afterwards he was abandoned by Magran and he is searching for only the answer of why he was abandoned. Durance has a void in him left by the abandonment of Magran and he is seeking in vain to fill it. The two endings for him are both appropriate and suitable for him. Durance lost the central reason for his life, the worship of Magran. Suicide is one obvious ending for someone like him. The other is a total rejection of Magran.

Generally correct. We seem to differ on how much sympathy we have towards Durance, though.

There is a section - I can't tell you where exactly - where he speaks in a levelled and even voice, saying how the land and nation are deceased. He goes on, in a surprisingly poetical way for him, talking about the people and some of the ways they would treat each other. In another section he talks proudly of the progress that Magran brings with her inventions, albeit the narrower meaning here being that mages were brought to an even playing ground with the rest of the folk, and so reducing their arrogance--something Aloth agreed on.

He trusted Magran to be making the correct choice when she got them making the bomb to end the war. It was, or so he believed, a way to quickly stop the conflict. We learn differently, of course. 

I think that he meant well all this time. It's just that he finally realizes(at least in one ending) that being somebody else's plough horse doesn't really bring personal happiness, nor does it necessarily improve the condition of others. I know some men like that irl... and anger at some point is a common trait.  

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Generally correct. We seem to differ on how much sympathy we have towards Durance, though.

There is a section - I can't tell you where exactly - where he speaks in a levelled and even voice, saying how the land and nation are deceased. He goes on, in a surprisingly poetical way for him, talking about the people and some of the ways they would treat each other. In another section he talks proudly of the progress that Magran brings with her inventions, albeit the narrower meaning here being that mages were brought to an even playing ground with the rest of the folk, and so reducing their arrogance--something Aloth agreed on.

He trusted Magran to be making the correct choice when she got them making the bomb to end the war. It was, or so he believed, a way to quickly stop the conflict. We learn differently, of course. 

I think that he meant well all this time. It's just that he finally realizes(at least in one ending) that being somebody else's plough horse doesn't really bring personal happiness, nor does it necessarily improve the condition of others. I know some men like that irl... and anger at some point is a common trait.  

I do not think Aloth agrees, I think he is being sarcastic as Durance called Wizards pompous and Aloth thinks Durance is being pompous for gloating about killing mages. Maybe I read that wrong.

• Like 3

Have gun will travel.

I am not against your interpretation.

Personally, I take another conversation between Pallegina and Aloth into consideration here--one where he admits to being overly careful with details as he has seen first-hand what careless use of 'Arkemyr's Capricious Hex' can do. Also, the first interaction between Durance and Aloth is quite aggressive, whereas the second time they exchange lines, they seem to have some things worked out. I do not think that Aloth has a particularly high opinion of Durance at any point, but I do think that Aloth - maybe reluctantly - agrees that wizards used to be more arrogant.

Just my pair of glasses here.  

EDIT:PS: Come to think of it. It might be that Aloth finds Durance arrogant, as well as the rest of the wizards. ^_^ 

Edited by Hulk'O'Saurus

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

I really liked Durance's arc, if he learns and accepts what truly happened. I know it's not realistic, but I've not given up hope that he might show up somewhere in Pillars 2. His ending allows for him to wander, so... A small cameo could be nice.

• Like 2

Durance was an enthusiastic participant in the Purges, he slaughtered a lot of innocents

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think Eder sums up here how the rest of the party feels about Durance:

"If I'm dying here, at least it was with my friends. And Durance." 

That part in WM where Maneha says "If you want something truly forgotten you take it to the Abbey", and Eder starts eyeing Durance with a crazy smile on his face, is even better. 

Nobody likes Durance. Even Grieving Mother drops her aloofness and says something sarcastic when he is killed in a fight.

• Like 1

I absolutely despise Durance. He's an ignorant and idiotic ass. If it weren't for his crappy bonus I'd sacrifice him to the effigy each and every time.

I'm still sticking with my OG character, who's a zealous priestess of Magran, making Durance redundant, and thus, worthless. If MCA ever wants to come back with some gunpowder and bearded anger, well enough, but I'm going into Deadfire with the same fire and arquebus character I started with in Pillars.

It is funny, but I tried to get rid of Durance in the end of WM, sent him to certain death (no spoilers how) and this sick bastard managed to survive! And he also got a good ending of his personal quest! I am such a perfectionist, sometimes it plays against me. I really hate him, but it is my problem, of course.

So yes, if you are attentive to your mates, listen to all their crap and do some psychotherapy, you will fix his mind automatically. His quest is one of the easiest in fact.

• Like 1

It is funny, but I tried to get rid of Durance in the end of WM, sent him to certain death (no spoilers how) and this sick bastard managed to survive! 

How did you manage to convince him to do that? I saw people complaining that he wouldn't agree even after you finished his quest, and the only way to make him do the spoiler thing is to draw straws and have him lose (which is random and may take a lot of reloads). 

It is funny, but I tried to get rid of Durance in the end of WM, sent him to certain death (no spoilers how) and this sick bastard managed to survive! 

How did you manage to convince him to do that? I saw people complaining that he wouldn't agree even after you finished his quest, and the only way to make him do the spoiler thing is to draw straws and have him lose (which is random and may take a lot of reloads). 

Yes, the straws and save-load. I really wanted him to be gone, but also to have clear hands. When he refused my direct order he signed his own sentence! :) I also had only him and PC in the party, so this random is 1:1 (not my first run, obviously, so I knew things ahead)

UPD: I remembered that I didn't even save-loaded, the Great Random chose him at first roll. Maybe it is not even 50/50, maybe PC gets some lowering coefficient, I never saw the code.

Edited by neotemplar