Card shop: Is there or could there be a way to buy common cards?

Hello, I recently got the online version of this game (both on PC & Phone) and I have been enjoying it. There is one thing that drives me a little crazy. There is this requirement that you discard down to 10 unused cards and then they give you this gold. I don't mind having to "clean up and prioritize" down to 10. I consider it a "carry capacity limit" and getting gold is both a good way to do that and re-enforces the way I think about it.

What I don't like is having only the 500 gold piece chests to buy from. I end up having to get ride of potions and common equipment. However I find if I change my party sometimes I need common equipment. Sometimes I am forced to banish party equipment I need. As far as the chest go they give great equipment that might be useful depending on my party and what I already have. 

My humble suggestion for a solution is to create another option for selling common items and disposables. Maybe only of items I have discarded (like a buy back program) or unlimited numbers of items I have unlocked (so I have to find the first healing potion, but then I can buy them). Limiting all items to 1 and resetting them after completing a mission pass or fail is fine. But if I lose my basic thieves tools, I would like to be able to buy them back. Masterwork tools I might have to find every time but if I discarded one, maybe there is a chance it appears in the shop later as a random uncommon. 

I would at times be willing to pay 250 gold for a healing potion, set of thieves tools, or any number of temporary common gear for a specific mission. Even thought I recognize I get way beet cards with the 500 gold chests. 

Comparing the physical card game to the online game. If I was buying packs I would also buy singles from other players or from card shops. I used to buy "trash commons" for 50 cents, uncommon cards for $1, and rare+ on negotiated or price guide prices at a my local card shop (back when I used to play a lot of CCGs) even though packs were $2.50 - $4.50 each and I knew I would eventually get those common/uncommon cards. It was just a matter of needing 3 common cards now and only have 1 or 2. This made me willing to pay a higher price each for not having to farm so that I could just have fun.

If such a thing exist on the online version let me know.  Other wise I am just suggesting this because it would make the in game gold more valuable and the game less tedious and more fun in my opinion. Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

All cards you banish goes back to the common pool aka the gamebox, like in tabletop game so you don`t need them more. You can find them again From the locations, or you can take them directly if you have not enough cards (and your stash is Empty)

Ofcourse you have to avoid of taking any cards of that type during the scenario, like in tabletop version!

All cards you banish goes back to the common pool aka the gamebox, like in tabletop game so you don`t need them more. You can find them again From the locations, or you can take them directly if you have not enough cards (and your stash is Empty)

Ofcourse you have to avoid of taking any cards of that type during the scenario, like in tabletop version!

Err... I read your post but I am not sure I understand you. It sounds like your saying I don't need to be able to buy them because they will show up again some day if I just keep playing. If that is correct then... ok but a pre-mission preparation store to buy common unlocked items would be useful for getting that one mace or healing potion I need since I had to banish a card last mission. Or if I just want 3 thieves tools instead of the 2 I have had all game.

If that's not what your saying and "you can take them directly if you have not enough cards (and your stash is Empty)" means I can buy back cards some how from a pool of banished cards, I am not clear on how to do that and what the restrictions might be. Can I only get cards back if I have free space in my stash after the mission and if not its gone forever? (I mean I am sure the same item might show up as random card again. But can I just buy or pull cards from the "common pool" some how? Maybe try and say the same thing a different way ... because I am weird and sometimes need a different approach.  Thank you in advance.

Errr.... Not sure what you are saying. It sounds like your just saying "Wait, it will show up eventually" ... If that is correct its not helping me right now and what is all this gold for? I have 2 thieves tools kits and I am not seeing any more and if they are around I just want to buy it with the gold instead of waiting around for it. I just want a store for party preparations before deploying them to missions. Like I would down time in a town in D&D or Pathfinder.

​If that is NOT what your saying, "take them (banished cards) directly if you have not enough cards (and your stash is Empty)" ... are you saying if my 10 card stash is below 10 and I don't get any discards, there is some where I can just pull cards from? If so, can you explain that a little more? Also, if I do get cards and I go over my 10 card limit does that mean they are lost to the "common pool" again and all I can do is wait for them? This also doesn't let me buy items I have had one of but want 2 or 3 off right?

Hello Harcagnel, this question (or a similar one) is asked very often. First you have to understand that this is not a collectible card game. Every "common" card is a representation of an original tabletop card in the Rise of the Runelords set. That contained a set amount of all the common cards. 3 Thieves Tools and 1 Masterwork Thieves Tools, for example. The only "legal" way to put more cards into the box was to buy Character Expansion deck (adding 1 additional Masterwork tools).

These cards can be encountered during your playthrough and get returned to the box when you are finished playing the scenario. Next scenario, you may (or may not) encounter them again. This is represented by your Collection.

Once you buy a treasure chest, you are opening something like a booster pack and you unlock the cards that you open (add them to the box), i.e. you can encounter them later. As many people could not understand this principle (not played the tabletop version), the developers added a free-to-use-right-away copy of that same card into the Unclaimed section. But if you lose the card during or after play (Banish keyword), you still have it unlocked and may encounter it again - with luck.

Stash is a temporary storage place so you do not have to throw away everything surplus, but you can keep 10 cards.

In the tabletop version with obeying the rules, there was no way to obtain new cards outside the scenario. So no Potion of Healing for you! But, if you have a non-valid deck after the scenario (say, 1 item less) and no Hero obtained any spare items, you can draw a new item with some limits regarding the deck and traits (Basic). In the computer version, that means you have to have 0 items in the Stash or Unclaimed area. Otherwise the game forces you to draw a new item from these.

• Like 5

I agree that Jenceslav did a good job explaining. I think, Harcagnel, you might enjoy the game more if you keep the experience closer to the tabletop rules. In the physical card version, there is no stash and no unclaimed tab. Whenever you end a scenario with an illegal deck, you are allowed to draw basic cards from the box to replenish those you had to banish. As you advance through the adventure decks, you will have access to more and more powerful cards to replenish your deck with. The way I simulate that experience is by always keeping my stash and unclaimed tab empty. The electronic game forces you to draw from those tabs first. If they are empty, you will have an experience that more nearly represents the physical card game version that was described by Jenceslav above. I hope it is more clear to you now.

Edited by MrScott

Hello Harcagnel, this question (or a similar one) is asked very often. First you have to understand that this is not a collectible card game. Every "common" card is a representation of an original tabletop card in the Rise of the Runelords set. That contained a set amount of all the common cards. 3 Thieves Tools and 1 Masterwork Thieves Tools, for example. The only "legal" way to put more cards into the box was to buy Character Expansion deck (adding 1 additional Masterwork tools).

These cards can be encountered during your playthrough and get returned to the box when you are finished playing the scenario. Next scenario, you may (or may not) encounter them again. This is represented by your Collection.

Once you buy a treasure chest, you are opening something like a booster pack and you unlock the cards that you open (add them to the box), i.e. you can encounter them later. As many people could not understand this principle (not played the tabletop version), the developers added a free-to-use-right-away copy of that same card into the Unclaimed section. But if you lose the card during or after play (Banish keyword), you still have it unlocked and may encounter it again - with luck.

Stash is a temporary storage place so you do not have to throw away everything surplus, but you can keep 10 cards.

In the tabletop version with obeying the rules, there was no way to obtain new cards outside the scenario. So no Potion of Healing for you! But, if you have a non-valid deck after the scenario (say, 1 item less) and no Hero obtained any spare items, you can draw a new item with some limits regarding the deck and traits (Basic). In the computer version, that means you have to have 0 items in the Stash or Unclaimed area. Otherwise the game forces you to draw a new item from these.

Ok, that does clear up my understanding. Also, sorry for the double post above I did not realize my post had to be processed and thought it was deleted by a system error.

That said we have this strange convention here. This is based on a board game so there are preconceptions of some people expecting them to be identical but they are not.

I am not sure but just off the top of my head here is a list of things I think might be different. In the board games ....

1. Do you have chests?

2. Do you have multiplayer?

3 Do you get gold coins for beating missions?

3. Does each mission have 3 difficulties?

4. Do you get random item drops, allies, skill points, and feats for beating scenarios?

5. It has a stash of 10 cards to let you pick from as you play.

6.Character variants?

7. Exclusive promotional cards?

...Am i missing anything? That said the game is Based off the board game but it is a different edition. Which means changes exist between the two AND because its digital it can be upgraded remotely so its possible to add improvement due to additional capabilities of digital game. So I am sorry but that is dead. We are past that and there is no way they are going back. With that in mind ... I like the digital version with its stash and chests and if they are willing to expand the game to make it more fun... I am all for it even if its a further departure to the board game. Am sorry for the purists out there but if you really are not happy with anything departing from the board game.... best thing for you to do is play the board game. I would of course love some local hotseat (but not pass n play because my wife gets board if she "needs" to look away or hand it to me) multiplayer. Being that as it may people who don't want to use the stash or chests because the board game doesn't have it can just as easily ignore the store and keep game play closer to the board game so this change does not hurt anyone but could make it more fun for others... That's just my humble unimportant little opinion... take it as you will.

While I respect players  right to play their way I am always up for mechanic that makes a game more fun but can be ignore by people who don't like it and as a single player game this is certainly the case.

1. Chests? No, mini-transactions like that are entirely online gaming invention

2. Multiplayer? Yes, and one that actually work, unlike this version whose multiplayer never came to life

3. Gold coins? No, that's another online gaming invention

4. 3 difficulties? No, but by this point there are 4 different adventure paths and 4 different multiplayer "Season of..." adventure sets.

5. Scenario rewards? Yes, those are original rewards from tabletop.

6. Stash? No, but that's very recent addition. And one that received differing opinions (just like treasure chests)

7. Character variants? Yes, there are class decks available

8. Promos? Yes, if you subscribed to the game from Paizo you'd get a exclusive promo card with each deck.

As for game departing from tabletop version... I'm not sure Obsidian can do that. At the end of the day, Pathfinder is still Paizo's intellectual property that Obsidian only adapted for online playing. Changes that were introduced to game are all approved by Paizo.

• Like 1

I hope you didn't misinterpret my post, Harcagnel. While I do consider myself a purist, I don't begrudge anyone playing how they want. I was hoping to present you with an alternate way to play that would allow you free access to the "common" cards such as thieves tools and such when you needed to banish a card during play. The idea of a stash has been a house rule implemented by several game groups; after all, when you have the box of cards sitting next to you, you can literally do anything you want. The only reason I play without one is to give myself an extra challenge and make sure that I have a more diverse set of cards to draw from at the end of missions (at the expense of those really cool cards I just bought).

I understand the appeal of being able to use gold to purchase cards in between adventures (goodness knows there isn't anything else to spend gold on). The rationale that it would be like your character is going shopping for supplies between adventures makes sense and fits the genre well. I probably wouldn't ever use that feature if it became available, but I can see that it would be useful for a lot of people, and would probably make the game more popular. Realistically though, it probably won't happen any time soon. I hope you are still enjoying the game.

• Like 1

I hope you didn't misinterpret my post, Harcagnel. While I do consider myself a purist, I don't begrudge anyone playing how they want. I was hoping to present you with an alternate way to play that would allow you free access to the "common" cards such as thieves tools and such when you needed to banish a card during play. The idea of a stash has been a house rule implemented by several game groups; after all, when you have the box of cards sitting next to you, you can literally do anything you want. The only reason I play without one is to give myself an extra challenge and make sure that I have a more diverse set of cards to draw from at the end of missions (at the expense of those really cool cards I just bought).

I understand the appeal of being able to use gold to purchase cards in between adventures (goodness knows there isn't anything else to spend gold on). The rationale that it would be like your character is going shopping for supplies between adventures makes sense and fits the genre well. I probably wouldn't ever use that feature if it became available, but I can see that it would be useful for a lot of people, and would probably make the game more popular. Realistically though, it probably won't happen any time soon. I hope you are still enjoying the game.

Ok, understood. Great post. I think we can both see the other persons point of view and respect it even though we have different play styles. I might even try it your way after I "beat the game" the first time.

1. Chests? No, mini-transactions like that are entirely online gaming invention

2. Multiplayer? Yes, and one that actually work, unlike this version whose multiplayer never came to life

3. Gold coins? No, that's another online gaming invention

4. 3 difficulties? No, but by this point there are 4 different adventure paths and 4 different multiplayer "Season of..." adventure sets.

5. Scenario rewards? Yes, those are original rewards from tabletop.

6. Stash? No, but that's very recent addition. And one that received differing opinions (just like treasure chests)

7. Character variants? Yes, there are class decks available

8. Promos? Yes, if you subscribed to the game from Paizo you'd get a exclusive promo card with each deck.

As for game departing from tabletop version... I'm not sure Obsidian can do that. At the end of the day, Pathfinder is still Paizo's intellectual property that Obsidian only adapted for online playing. Changes that were introduced to game are all approved by Paizo.

Good reply. You cleared that up for me so I have a better idea of how they compare now.

I would clarify that adding a card shop for out of scenario preparations is something I am interested because it fits with existing mechanic and actually enhances them but it is easily ignored and I am in favor of adding new  "options"  more than adding new default features since I am on board with keeping the base game that plays so well and really if I wanted to play a different game I would do that not change this one. Also, I appreciate the option to play as close to "vanilla" as possible at will. I have seen to many games start as something awesome and fundamentally change into a different game with the same name and some similar characters and features. I say keep it the same game just open up optional alternate ways to play.

You are correct about the Intellectual property part but they latterly don't have to mess with anything but add another tab in the store. They could use an image of one of the shop sites in the game, their is no need to add any additional cards or characters that Paizo didn't make so as long as its ignorable it should not be an IP concern but Obsidian would likely and rightly run it by Paizo but I don't think that is a hard conversation for a feature that could be an easy implementation with optional impact and the possibility to drive an increase in player and in turn sales if not directly in new customers then indirectly in return customers buying expansions. ...Maybe I am wrong... and you do raise a valid point in most cases. I just suspect this idea is relatively easy to sell.