I haven't played wizards very much in POE, and the reason is I have found the limited access via the grimoire to only 4 spells/level to be frustrating, particularly later in the game when you have gained most of the spells. Granted, there are some spells I never use, and I understand that you can have a backup grimoire in a quick slot and quick switch grimoires in combat. However, the cool down when you do this seems very long, at least in the heat of battle. I was wondering how those of you with more experience playing wizards handle this. Do you have one grimoire with buffs for use at the start of battle, and then switch to a grimoire with more damaging spells after buffing? I suppose if you do this, you'd need to auto-attack until the cool down clock runs down, right? I should add that, IMO, this problem is intensified by the fact that there are so many great wizard spells, definitely more than four per level for most levels. On the other hand, this wouldn't be a problem at all for druids. While there are some fantastic druid spells, I don't think I've ever used more than four spells per level (for some druid spell levels, just one or two) on my various runs with a druid MC. Druids just do not have as many great spells. Any advice regarding the management of wizard spells would be most appreciated. [Question expanded via editing]

Edited by dgray62

On 4500+ hours of PoE on PotD I never ever switched a grimoire.

I just put the best four of every tier into my book and that's it.

The "best" means in this case the most suited for my current wizard build.

I don't know if Quick Switch and/or Coil of Resourcefulness reduce Grimoire Cooldown - I would be surprised if they did but I actually never tested because I never felt the need to switch Grimoires during encounter in the first place.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

According to the wiki and what it says in-game (at least for me), Quick Switch DOES reduce Grimoire Switch cooldown time.

Coil of Resourcefulness, at least according to the wiki, doesn't.

That being said, I haven't tested either in-game.

Cool. Totally useless for me, but good to know.

So one could use Quick Switch and go wild with five Grimoires or so.

I do have a nice Quick Switch build for a wizard by the way. ;)

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thanks for the tip! I guess I'll just experiment and figure out which 4 spells are best for my current run, a blaster wizard who will occasionally wade into melee once he gets lvl 5 spells (Citzal's lance, in particular). While in theory I like the flexibility of priests and druids not needing the grimoire, in practice I rarely use more that 4 spells/level for any caster. It just seems that at each level there are few great spells that I use again and again.

• Like 1

I am on a triple crown run at the moment.

My Watcher is an Orlan wizzie.

65 % of time time he is on auto attack duty with AoE implements and DR reduction blast talent plus his per encounter blasts. The damage is great. 15 % of the time he is on missile barrage duty on soft targets together with the ranger. 10% of the time is scrolls/consumables and the other 10% are for all the rest of the spells which comes down to the situation--pretty much have fun here, unless he's facing a pack of angry spirits each about to cast a frozen spike at his hairy ass.   

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png