nfl 2018-2019

Gromnir

I haven't given up on Dak yet.

this is exact the same problem as the cowboys ownership and coaching is making.  dak were never a franchise qb.  he has always been bottom 1/4 of league as far as accuracy is concerned, and lack o' accuracy typical dooms a qb. however, with the best ol in football and a good rb, dak could throw high percentage passes and the cowboys would win games. am recalling a comment from a nfc defensive coordinator from a couple years ago regarding the cowboys offense.  dc observed how predictable were the cowboys offense, but he meant as a compliment.  the defensive coordinator observed how teams playing dallas knew exact what dallas were gonna do, but defense couldn't stop 'em even so. the cowboys do not current have the best ol in football. zach martin is likely the best player on the cowboys roster, but the ol as a unit ain't what it was a in 2016.  dak needs to make plays in 2018. unfortunate, the wrongful perception o' dak as a winner (as 'posed to a good qb) lingers in dallas.

is kinda the reverse o' the giants problem. folks is blaming eli for bigger offensive unit problems.  in point o' fact, the cowboys would be playing a whole lot better if eli were their qb. eli is still a far better qb than dak, but he is getting mauled. ol is root cause o' giants offense problems. giants went out and got a potential HoF rb in the recent draft, which makes perfect sense if this is 1998 instead o' 2018.  even so, am having a hard time faulting the drafting o' saquon as 'posed to a qb, 'cause am still not convinced there is a franchise qb 'mongst rosen, mayfield and darnold.  2018-2019 giants woulda' been far better off trading down for an ol... though perhaps the giants were sacrificing 2018 'cause they liked hebert or some other 2019 qb.  

regardless, sooner cowboys realize dak is an inaccurate passer who will active lose most close games for them, the sooner dallas corrects their offensive woes.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Talka bout horribleness., Waits all season to convince a team to sign him. Finally gets on a legit contender... hurts himself in practice. That sucks. And, sucks for NO too becausew they have to now pay him for rest of season. At least if he got to play we could see if he still was capable - which is likely - or if he was actually done. Now, we'll never know. And, teams are really gonna be hesitant to sign him next season coming off this injury.,   Bryant willd efintiely be stuck signing for the minimum now.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That's always the risk with prove-it deals, unfortunately - especially for older guys. Although I'm not sure of the guarantees, he apparently rejected like a 7m a year for 3 years contract with the Ravens. Jordy Nelson received about the same deal with the Raiders except for 2 years (although he had an unusually high amount of guarantees - think it was like a 75% fully guaranteed contract, which basically makes him uncuttable). I don't think he got much more than veteran minimum this year with the Saints because of signing so late, so I'm sure he's kicking himself for not taking the deal with the Ravens.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

is kinda the reverse o' the giants problem. folks is blaming eli for bigger offensive unit problems.  in point o' fact, the cowboys would be playing a whole lot better if eli were their qb. eli is still a far better qb than dak, but he is getting mauled. ol is root cause o' giants offense problems. giants went out and got a potential HoF rb in the recent draft, which makes perfect sense if this is 1998 instead o' 2018.  even so, am having a hard time faulting the drafting o' saquon as 'posed to a qb, 'cause am still not convinced there is a franchise qb 'mongst rosen, mayfield and darnold.  2018-2019 giants woulda' been far better off trading down for an ol... though perhaps the giants were sacrificing 2018 'cause they liked hebert or some other 2019 qb.  

regardless, sooner cowboys realize dak is an inaccurate passer who will active lose most close games for them, the sooner dallas corrects their offensive woes.  

HA! Good Fun!

Maybe that's why Giants took a RB in the latest draft, cause they saw more QB prospects in the coming one. But they couldn't know where they would end up in the draft order, so they took a big risk in that case. But as it now stands, seems like they will be in a pretty good spot come draft day next year after all.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Well, muh Boys beat the defending champs, who look like they might not be defending anything this year. Zeke was terrific, as usual, Dak was efficient, if unexceptional, and we're headed for another 8-8 season, just as I feared. Our useless patsy of a coach will keep his job and we'll Groundhog Day this all over again next year.

*sigh*

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Thanks, I love it, :biggrin:.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Finally. One more loss and that should about do it for sure for the Packers. I am more than ready for McCarthy to be fired, and I'm pretty sure his contract was setup exactly to do that if he didn't deliver this year. He has been a good coach throughout the years, but it's a similar case to Andy Reid with the Eagles - even though he might have been a good coach for us at one point, we clearly, patently need a change. I have been wavering back and forth on McCarthy for so many years now, and the fact that he just has absolutely no control of even the offense, his area of specialty, is just...I'm just feeling done with him.

Edited by Bartimaeus

The downside of Saints playing well is that I can't basically see any games live due to the time difference.

However, it's a downside I find I'm able to tolerate quite well with the upsides :D

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Finally. One more loss and that should about do it for sure for the Packers. I am more than ready for McCarthy to be fired, and I'm pretty sure his contract was setup exactly to do that if he didn't deliver this year. He has been a good coach throughout the years, but it's a similar case to Andy Reid with the Eagles - even though he might have been a good coach for us at one point, we clearly, patently need a change. I have been wavering back and forth on McCarthy for so many years now, and the fact that he just has absolutely no control of even the offense, his area of specialty, is just...I'm just feeling done with him.

I've been a McCarthy supporter for a long time but I can also see his time is coming to an end. The example of Andy Reid is very good. I think McCarthy will get the boot at the end of the season and be picked up pretty fast by another time and get some success rolling. Cleveland perhaps?

It's so frustrating to have a season over so early for the second year in a row. All these playoff years have really spoilt one.

Howabout Kyler Sackerell though? Who saw that coming this summer?

Good. Gooooood. Suffer Packers fans, join me in my misery. Aaron Rodgers has ripped my heary out multiple times. Hopefully this team maintains a sliver of a chance to make the playoffs then loses in week 17 and McCarthy somehow keeps his job.

Kefka_laughing.gif

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

am kinda ambivalent on this.  am thinking aaron rogers has been superlative worthy in spite o' poor ol play and a depleted wr corps.  at the same time, am betting any number o' nfl qbs would kill for receiving targets such as davante adams and jimmy graham. the defense, beggard by management, has played decent even with the recognition o' the secondary being comical porous.  the record, which ain't great, could easily be much worse, as gb were hair's breadth away from losses against chicago, minnesota and san francisco.  packers is a couple plays away from being 2-7.  as such, am thinking mccarthy actual deserves some credit for having the packers a game below .500 and only a couple games out o' the division lead. 

last night, playing without jimmy graham for much o' the contest, aaron rogers once again worked incomprehensible magic multiple times to be keeping gb seeming on the cusp o' victory... but fact gb were even in the game were a minor miracle, all things considered.  rogers, with a bad knee, were sacked five times behind an ol which has been deserving much criticism all year.  maybe more impressive is the fact rogers has only thrown a single pick this year, which is impressive but statistic unlikely to continue. mccarthy takes heat for not going for it on 4th and 2, but the packers were 3-11 on 3rd downs for the night, and graham were no longer in the game.  realistic expectations on 4th down had to be in the sphincter clench zone. sure, aaron jones had a decent night, but more so as a receiver and his decent runs were from shotgun formations.  is easy to second guess mccarthy, but from a pure numbers pov, the choice to punt on 4th were reasonable.

at the same time, if you got aaron rogers as qb and davante adams at wr and a team o' young players looking for confidence boosting moments, a 4th and 2 in the 4th quarter in a thursday night game seems like an ideal time for a coach to show his team he believes in 'em.

in any event, with the obvious talent voids at wr, ol and the defensive secondary, am wondering what is reasonable expectations for the packers at this time.  gonna suggest aaron rogers, and the unbelievable season he is having in spite o' brobdingnagian obstacles, is obscuring the reality o' the situation the packers is actual facing.  

a) the packers should have won that game.

b) how the hell were the packers even in that game?

the above two choices is not actual mutual exclusive, but am thinking too few packers fans see (b) as a correct answer.

ambivalent.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Aaron Rodgers himself has been somewhat bewildering this year. He's my favorite player of all time, but...you have been seriously injured at the beginning of each the last two seasons, ya need to stop playing the hero. He gives up on so many easy passes that would help move the offense down the field. He is going to absolutely shatter the record for number of throwaways this year, and the number of sacks (especially on third downs) combined with our average 3rd and distance have just been terrible. I think some of that falls on Rodgers himself, surely, but there's no possible way we're getting rid of Rodgers...which means it comes down to the offensive coordinator, which is essentially McCarthy in this case, to get control of the offense and realize what is not working and what is. Having Rodgers hold on to the ball in the pocket for a few seconds to look for the big play downfield and then having to roll out and either work magic or throw it away is not a sustainable form of offense, especially for a guy that keeps getting injured because of this crap. It's so reminiscent of the second half of 2015 and the first half of 2016 (where he also had good stats, but everyone and their dog could see that there was something horribly wrong with how the offense was operating and how it was effectively giving away games) before we went on the "run the table" streak where we went to a short-and-easy + timing-based offense (which Rodgers was absolutely masterful at). You can do the miracle stuff in addition to your normal offense (that's what has made Rodgers the best in the business over most of his career), but it can't be the majority of the offense...it just can't.

The defense has been fine - even admirable at times, considering our complete lack of pass rushers (Fackrell's coverage sacks notwithstanding). How we were in this game, or in the Rams game, is indeed a mystery to me...and yet, in both cases, it feels like we should've won. An offense run by Aaron Rodgers with a pretty decent offensive line and receivers (though neither necessarily great) should not be this wildly inconsistent.

• Like 1

Muh Boys managed to blow a 10 point 4th quarter lead, which is CLASSIC Cowboys, but then they somehow still won, bringing their record to a lukewarm tap water record of 5-5. Somehow muh Boys are only 1 game out of 1st in the NFC East. The benefits of playing in a garbage division, I guess.

The NFC East. It's Meh-tacular! :lol:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Brees & Co. took the defending champs out to the woodshed :o

On a more somber note, sucks what happened to Alex Smith. He may be on a division rival, but I hate to see a guy get seriously hurt. Broken leg, yikes. 20 years ago that would likely be a career ender. With today's medicine, he'll hopefully be back and 100% next year.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Aaron Rodgers himself has been somewhat bewildering this year. He's my favorite player of all time, but...you have been seriously injured at the beginning of each the last two seasons, ya need to stop playing the hero. He gives up on so many easy passes that would help move the offense down the field. He is going to absolutely shatter the record for number of throwaways this year, and the number of sacks (especially on third downs) combined with our average 3rd and distance have just been terrible. I think some of that falls on Rodgers himself, surely, but there's no possible way we're getting rid of Rodgers...which means it comes down to the offensive coordinator, which is essentially McCarthy in this case, to get control of the offense and realize what is not working and what is. Having Rodgers hold on to the ball in the pocket for a few seconds to look for the big play downfield and then having to roll out and either work magic or throw it away is not a sustainable form of offense, especially for a guy that keeps getting injured because of this crap. It's so reminiscent of the second half of 2015 and the first half of 2016 (where he also had good stats, but everyone and their dog could see that there was something horribly wrong with how the offense was operating and how it was effectively giving away games) before we went on the "run the table" streak where we went to a short-and-easy + timing-based offense (which Rodgers was absolutely masterful at). You can do the miracle stuff in addition to your normal offense (that's what has made Rodgers the best in the business over most of his career), but it can't be the majority of the offense...it just can't.

The defense has been fine - even admirable at times, considering our complete lack of pass rushers (Fackrell's coverage sacks notwithstanding). How we were in this game, or in the Rams game, is indeed a mystery to me...and yet, in both cases, it feels like we should've won. An offense run by Aaron Rodgers with a pretty decent offensive line and receivers (though neither necessarily great) should not be this wildly inconsistent.

Couldn't agree more. All good points.

But it could have been worse. The broken leg of Alex Smith looked darn ugly.

• Like 1

Dak had a good game, Zeke did Zeke things, Amari Cooper looked like an actual #1 receiver, and muh Boys now sit tied for 1st place in the NFC East, and with a good conference record to boot. Goddamit, I was out. I was out and they pulled me back in... Just so that they can break my heart in spectacular fashion a couple months from now. I've been down this road before. I know how this movie ends.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸