The Death of System Shock - how Nightdive's SS1 remake Kickstarter imploded

Infinitron

one word:

consoles

Bah, Unity works perfectly well on consoles, NightDive just smelt potential for more cash if they get a publisher and ... failed.

I said it previously but it stands to be reiterated: they got an immense amount of criticism about using Unity during and after their kickstarter and a lot of suggestions to use UE4. The decision to use UE4 had nothing to do with trying to get a publisher and everything to do with actual feedback from (supposedly at least, guess it could have been organised shilling) actual fans.

The justification for swapping from Unity is a load of rubbish though, even an updated System Shock ought not to be a strain for a PS4/XB1 whatever the engine.

• Like 1

I said it previously but it stands to be reiterated: they got an immense amount of criticism about using Unity during and after their kickstarter and a lot of suggestions to use UE4.

Fair enough - "getting more cash" just sounds a bit more reasonable to me than "people whined about it a lot". People always whine about stuff. Even in KS based around functional demo running on Unity, people are going to whine a lot.