That TV Topic

Blarghagh

Season 1 ending is a cliffhanger too. Imagine they would have canned the show after the first season. Boy, worse ending than Firefly would that have been. :>

It seems episode 12 and 13 of season 3 will be released at the same day, so prepare for a movie night. \o/

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Most TV shows bore me.

That's unfortunate. Hopefully you have other good entertainment options in your life.

I hope you weren't being sarcastic or anything.

Anyway, if you weren't, I'll just say that I do, but I really wish I could get into TV shows. But I just can't. They go on for too long IMHO and they don't often have any substance to them to justify dedicating hours to watching them. There are others that aren't necessarily bad per se, but again, there's not much reason to continue following them. I just feel that they on too long and can't really justify themselves as an episodic story.

I feel like most TV shows should be anthology shows, but most anthology shows don't have an interesting enough hook for me. Fargo was good though.

No sarcasm. :)

I agree about the length, for sure. I prefer the BBC model, where most series run for around 3 seasons and then end. That is also why I like a lot of the HBO and Netflix series, as a season tends to be much shorter and doesn't drag as often.

I think I am also done with the weekly format. I would rather focus on one show at a time and watch the whole thing over the course of a week or two than try to remember all the plot lines over a few months.

Well yeah, if a show's season has 24 episodes, I'm quite sure the quality won't be very high and it comes with lots of filler episodes (supernatural, etc). If a season has only 8 or 10 episodes, it's usually a much different feeling, because the story is focused and they don't have time to crowbar in them fillers. Let's take True Detective for example, which was really awesome all around. Or The Expanse, or early Game of Thrones.

There's lots of good shows nowadays, which made me go so far to say that I don't like watching 90 minutes movies anymore.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Okay, this might amuse a few people, especially those who are all GoT or WoT fans.

I recently read a chinese xuanxia called Desolate Era - which is apparently hugely popular, but as written, is about 2400+ chapters long.

The story follows a man who died young, but with great karma and who gets reincarnated but due to "reasons" his memory didn't get wiped. It then follows his journey to immortality and beyond over the course of an excessive number of years.

The Chinese.. have now turned it into a tv show. Hows that for impressive? I'd say that's dedication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osmmuo3duqM

Sounds interesting. Maybe I'll check it out.

No sarcasm. :)

I agree about the length, for sure. I prefer the BBC model, where most series run for around 3 seasons and then end. That is also why I like a lot of the HBO and Netflix series, as a season tends to be much shorter and doesn't drag as often.

I think I am also done with the weekly format. I would rather focus on one show at a time and watch the whole thing over the course of a week or two than try to remember all the plot lines over a few months.

Thank you.

I will say that I like Ash vs. Evil Dead. Plus, it's only three seasons, so that's a good thing.

Honestly, I think the problem with shows that go on too long is that they start to get progressively worse. Game of Thrones is a case in point. I stopped watching after season 5, but I honestly didn't like and from what I've read, there are many people that are starting to dislike the writing, especially for the seventh season.

Personally, I think that A Song of Ice and Fire and Game of Thrones are both overrated, but that's just me.

Edited by Gritino

Personally, I think that A Song of Ice and Fire and Game of Thrones are both overrated, but that's just me.

Not sure if the books are really overrated. They only really had cult-like following with a lot of notable contributors due to Martin's quite excellent world building and tendency to set up plot twists with little details long before they happen. The real hype only started after Season 1 was a smash hit for HBO and the only book to come out since then was A Dance With Dragons and that received very mixed reactions from the fanbase.

It's also way too easy to forget that the first three books came out 20 years ago. It's been a while and entertainment's changed in general. A lot, and not always for the better, but that's a different can of worms. :)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I also thought the last 2 seasons of GoT have been the worst of the bunch and have really lowered my expectations for this last season. Might be like True Blood for me where I skip the last season altogether 

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I also thought the last 2 seasons of GoT have been the worst of the bunch and have really lowered my expectations for this last season. Might be like True Blood for me where I skip the last season altogether 

If I had any faith left that Martin will finish the books in his lifetime I'd skip the last season in a heartbeat. It'll be the only form of closure A Song of Ice and Fire gets. And with that... I simply need to watch it.

Heck, I'd watch it if they replaced the showrunners with Uwe Boll. I don't want to end up like scorchiebeanie, poor bastard. :(

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2

Does Uwe Boll even make stuff anymore?

No, he quit in 2016. But he opened a restaurant, so if you wanna grab some food and are somewhere near Vancouver... ;)

• Like 1

No, he quit in 2016. But he opened a restaurant, so if you wanna grab some food and are somewhere near Vancouver... ;)

Thankfully, that's nowhere near my half of the globe, so I guess I'm safe.

That's the problem with the series: you have to wait a long time to get closure. We don't know how things conclude in the sixth book and in the seventh book. We don't even know if Martin will finish the books during his lifetime.

I wish that he would have someone like Neil Gaiman write the books for him with him giving all his notes and his guidance, but unfortunately, that's not the case.

Actually... the place is very highly rated.

Actually... the place is very highly rated.

Honestly, I think Uwe Boll has talent, but he doesn't execute it well.

You can be a bad film-maker and still have talent or creativity. It's just a matter of who you're working with and how you execute your ideas.

Sure. You're right, of course. Good for him for finding his true calling.

It's just, you know... If someone had told Past Me ten years ago that Uwe Boll would go on to achieve international stardom as a restaurant owner, I would have laughed it off without a thought.

EDIT: Grammar fix because I'm bad.

Edited by Skazz

Sure. You're right, of course. Good for him for finding his true calling.

It's just, you know... If someone were to tell Past Me ten years ago that Uwe Boll would go on to achieve international stardom as a restaurant owner, I'd laugh it off without a thought.

Here's the thing: he obviously must know how to work with people from all his film-making days, which is why he works well as the administrator of a restaurant. Not to mention he can work well under pressure. Film-making is stressful business, or at least it can be. Even if he made bad films, I don't doubt that he went through a lot to get the films he was working on made. 

In many ways, he's like Ed Wood in that both had vision and that vision probably carried over to Uwe Boll's restaurant.

Fauda, it's really good, episodes are only 30 mins long, but they pack a punch. NETFLIX version has English subs for Arabs and English dialogue for Israelis.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4565380/

"Fauda" (Arabic for 'Chaos') depicts the two-sided story of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Doron, a commander of undercover Israeli unit, the Israeli Special Forces, operating inside Palestinian territories, and his team, are hunting down Hamas terrorist Abu-Ahmed. On the other side of the fence, the life of Abu-Ahmed and his family, who has thus far murdered 143 Israelis, will never accept the State of Israel, and will continue Jihad for as long as it takes.

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

*Moved comment to Cinema thread*

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Randomly came across a reality-tv series on Netflix called The Joy of Techs. Two guy friends, one high-tech oriented the other not, where the former keeps trying to convince the latter of how awesome crazy tech gadgets are for living/doing stuff.

It's obviously largely scripted and played for comedy, but some of the episodes were hilarious, like the Camping or Household ones. Has a couple clunker episodes (one where they keep trying to destroy tech gadgets advertised as being super-hard to damage) but at around 25-30 min. each and only 10 episodes it was a nice light way to spend a lazy evening.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts