Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

That TV Topic

• Please log in to reply
312 replies to this topic

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • Steam:Ask!
I got through the second season of Legend of Korra. I will tentatively give the third a try. Funnily enough, it seems I took like a week break right before the actually kinda okay part of the season began - I hope this isn't a pattern where the first half to two thirds of each season suck because they're being weighed down by an endless cascade of nonsense silly stuff before the more important stuff kicks in in the latter half of the season. I guess I'll soon find out. I think Airbender had a little better ratio of important vs. silly stuff, and it was better sprinkled throughout rather than occurring all at once like Korra seems to be doing. I don't particularly enjoy feeling like the first 6-8 episodes were completely pointless (and not very enjoyable) to watch.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 07 July 2018 - 01:40 PM.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2579 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
Season 2 is most noticably inconsistent, with most of the first half of the season even being animated by a cheaper studio...

The Avatar Wan episodes of season two are fantastic, at least. Also Zhao's cameo.
  • Bartimaeus likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • Steam:Ask!
Right before Avatar Wan was where I had stopped - Korra had lost her memories, and I was basically like, "FML, these next episodes are probably gonna all gonna be about Korra." But then it wasn't, and when it came back to Korra, she finally started acting like a reasonable human being again. I'm not asking for much of Legend of Korra here - if you don't have completely terrible and/or pointless episode plots and utterly unreasonable characters, I'll probably keep watching...but it's been really up and down in both areas so far.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2158 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Amy Adam's Sharp Objects looks good, might just take a gander ;) ;)

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 740 posts

I finished watching the final season (4th) of 12 Monkeys tv show about time traveling based loosely on 1995 movie starring Bruce Willis.

An excellent show, one of the rare occasion that a series gets better with each subsequent season.

If anyone likes sci-fi and time traveling themes this series is a sure bet to watch.

• InsaneCommander likes this

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3703 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Didn't everyone slammed it back in the days? Didn't know there are already 4 seasons out.

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 740 posts

Didn't everyone slammed it back in the days? Didn't know there are already 4 seasons out.

There were some wierd realesed after season 2. I believe third season was released all at once over two days and now the forth was realesed 3 episodes per week.

The first season was ok, and seemed simple. Season two was were things started to get interesting.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2479 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

1st season was the worst, and time travel is inherently confusing hence it being 'slammed'. I haven't seen the 4th season but it's definitely worth watching up to then. I do prefer the movie, but that movie is one of my absolute favourites.

LittleRose

LittleRose

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 97 posts

I've finished The Alienist. Those last two episodes were intense.

Now I have to decide what I watch next. Probably something less dark? I can't decide. Any suggestions?

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 881 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I finished watching the final season (4th) of 12 Monkeys tv show about time traveling based loosely on 1995 movie starring Bruce Willis.

An excellent show, one of the rare occasion that a series gets better with each subsequent season.

If anyone likes sci-fi and time traveling themes this series is a sure bet to watch.

Yes, the 4th season was even better than the third. I liked the first one because, as far as I could tell, there were no serious inconsistencies. But it's time travel, so who knows... And then it just got better over time.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8969 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Tried the first episode of Mr. Sunshine via Netflix (historical/political, romance). What interests me more than anything is that they seem to have contracted to show the series close to on-air dates. That is, it's not the entire series at once, you have to wait for episodes just like on Dramafever or Viki. If Netflix can get/do more Asian dramas like that, that could be cool.

Anyway, the 1st episode was decent. High/gorgeous production values, ala Goblin (I think the writer and director of Mr Sunshine also did Goblin and Descents of the Sun). But not quite as compelling off the bat as Goblin was - I suppose I just personally like a bit more fantasy is all. A lot of setup with multiple chr-arcs, which for once I didn't find hard to follow but it did make me feel a tad impatient here and there with too many drawn out "sad" scenes when we have no identification yet with chrs, if you know what I mean. But I like the setting and it's enough to keep me interested to see how it develops.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2158 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Queen Of The South...

As a Texan, there is much truth in this show. As an American, well, the rest of America is pretty blind to it lol

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Finally decided to catch up with some of the latest Defenders seasons. The Punisher started off terribly but got progressively better and now ranks amidst the first season of Daredevil and Luke Cage as the better part of the saga thus far. I find the imaginary it conjures amidst all the web of post-war traumas very interesting and, though speaking as one with no first-hand experience on the matter, really rather believable. It worked best when it was all about the recounting and dealing with these aspects, but even so I feel it shines an interesting light into everything else as an externalization of that "there's a war in your mind" idea that keeps being thrown about regarding Castle. And the cast is generally pretty superb too. Good stuff.

Season two of Jessica Jones, on the other hand... I'm currently *really* struggling to finish. It is about as rubbish, infuriating and aesthetically non-descript as Iron Fist. Whilst the first season found a really interesting central theme through the conflict with Kilgrave and Jones and how it spoke about abusive and manipulative relationships, this time around all of the conflict and drama seems to come off more as an aimless, pointless hodgepodge of soap, which exacerbates all the worst aspects of the first season. My biggest gripes come from how infuriatingly stupid the whole drama is all throughout the bloody thing, from Jessica's complete inability to chill the **** out for a minute and think about anything to the whole drug-abuse arc with Trish and Malcolm which feels as naff as an 80s TV pot hysteria movie, about how utterly unlikable Jessica Jones comes across throughout with her one-note vapid mopiness, or how insufferably obvious and piss-poor the 'noir' tropes are treated, to the point one could very well say these people do not understand what noir is and seem to have never seen the noir films that they cite within the series. Case in point, see that god-awful bonding moment Trish and Jessica have on a rooftop whilst watching a clandestine projection of Touch of Evil - more specifically, its iconic opening tracking shot. This same one is iconic for a number of reasons, it offers one of the clearest illustrations of the sequence shot in cinema as well as the Hitch****ian concept of "suspense" as opposed to "tension" - this same sequence has *nothing* to do with the scene in question beyond serving to enforce the show's utterly superficial pretenses at 'noir', and in fact seems to outright jar when the very same scene features *five* cuts across ten seconds *after* the characters have finished their dialogue and proceed to watch the movie (thus also pointlessly cutting the sequence shot in question). Contrast this to the use of Shane in Logan for example, as a case of a different superhero venture that correctly borrows from the tropes of a different genre and uses its filmic references as a means to further support the emotional and thematic current of the scene in question. It boggles the mind that a series this incompetently put together shouldn't be universally lambasted the same way some other recent MCU series have been. Seriously, **** this season.

Edited by algroth, Today, 12:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users