That TV Topic

Blarghagh

Queen Of The South...

As a Texan, there is much truth in this show. As an American, well, the rest of America is pretty blind to it lol

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Finally decided to catch up with some of the latest Defenders seasons. The Punisher started off terribly but got progressively better and now ranks amidst the first season of Daredevil and Luke Cage as the better part of the saga thus far. I find the imaginary it conjures amidst all the web of post-war traumas very interesting and, though speaking as one with no first-hand experience on the matter, really rather believable. It worked best when it was all about the recounting and dealing with these aspects, but even so I feel it shines an interesting light into everything else as an externalization of that "there's a war in your mind" idea that keeps being thrown about regarding Castle. And the cast is generally pretty superb too. Good stuff.

Season two of Jessica Jones, on the other hand... I'm currently *really* struggling to finish. It is about as rubbish, infuriating and aesthetically non-descript as Iron Fist. Whilst the first season found a really interesting central theme through the conflict with Kilgrave and Jones and how it spoke about abusive and manipulative relationships, this time around all of the conflict and drama seems to come off more as an aimless, pointless hodgepodge of soap, which exacerbates all the worst aspects of the first season. My biggest gripes come from how infuriatingly stupid the whole drama is all throughout the bloody thing, from Jessica's complete inability to chill the **** out for a minute and think about anything to the whole drug-abuse arc with Trish and Malcolm which feels as naff as an 80s TV pot hysteria movie, about how utterly unlikable Jessica Jones comes across throughout with her one-note vapid mopiness, or how insufferably obvious and piss-poor the 'noir' tropes are treated, to the point one could very well say these people do not understand what noir is and seem to have never seen the noir films that they cite within the series. Case in point, see that god-awful bonding moment Trish and Jessica have on a rooftop whilst watching a clandestine projection of Touch of Evil - more specifically, its iconic opening tracking shot. This same one is iconic for a number of reasons, it offers one of the clearest illustrations of the sequence shot in cinema as well as the Hitch****ian concept of "suspense" as opposed to "tension" - this same sequence has *nothing* to do with the scene in question beyond serving to enforce the show's utterly superficial pretenses at 'noir', and in fact seems to outright jar when the very same scene features *five* cuts across ten seconds *after* the characters have finished their dialogue and proceed to watch the movie (thus also pointlessly cutting the sequence shot in question). Contrast this to the use of Shane in Logan for example, as a case of a different superhero venture that correctly borrows from the tropes of a different genre and uses its filmic references as a means to further support the emotional and thematic current of the scene in question. It boggles the mind that a series this incompetently put together shouldn't be universally lambasted the same way some other recent MCU series have been. Seriously, **** this season.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I'm currently switching between Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and the 3rd season of iZombie. I just need some lighter entertainment at the moment, because the book I'm reading (Orphan Train) is so sad.

Two suggestions for some lighter entertainment and based on your current shows: The Good Place, and Santa Clarita Diet. I suspect you'll enjoy them if you enjoy Dirk Gently and iZombie.

• Like 1

I just learned that the Tremors reboot / tv show with Kevin Bacon won't be happening. God, does anyone at SyFy actually know what they are doing?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I just learned that the Tremors reboot / tv show with Kevin Bacon won't be happening. God, does anyone at SyFy actually know what they are doing?

But... but... why? ;(

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Been watching The Outpost by Syfy on CW, while it's similar to 100 and Xena, I'm enjoying. The female lead is also soft on the eyes and very likable (more likable than the original Xena).

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

SyFy is always doing the same thing, so much, it's pretty much a cliche now. "Strong" female lead, sexy male sidekick(s) (either smart ones or tough ones), diverse cast, etc. It's like that in every single SyFy show I've seen.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Luke Cage season 2.

I have two major complaints: 1) Bushmaster having similar powers as Luke Cage. First season already did this with Diamondback. 2) Characters didn't feel like they had arcs. It felt like everyone was on the fence so writers could make them do bad things and good things whenever they wanted. For example

Shades leaves Stokes, because she broke the "law of the streets" with her brutal murders, but he is laughing when confessing about all the killings he has done.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

It's the same problem I have with the CW DC shows because they have a lot of mirror image villains and it gets old fast.

I didn't mind Shades leaving Black Mariah though. He was already shook up from killing his friend/former lover who was a CI for the police captain guy when she went and killed Bushmaster's uncle and every customer in the restaurant. He rationalized all his murders because they were all involved some kind of criminal activity or at least that's how I viewed it.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I hope they broaden the focus a little more because Burnham isn't fun or likeable enough to be the the singular focus.

Also, they are doing 4, I think it was, 10-15 minute Trek shorts.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Recently I binge watched Cloak & Dagger, a superheroes series apparently targeting a teen audience. As these shows go, it seems pretty decently written, at least to me. They've spent some time developing the characters, giving them non-trivial motivations, and not going overboard on the superpowers. I've enjoyed it thus far so I plan to keep watching.

Tonight though it's the first episode, second season of Outcast, a very creepy series based upon a graphic novel by Kirkman and Azaceta. Yeah, that's the same Robert Kirkman of The Walking Dead fame. I wasn't even sure they were going to renew it, but I'm glad they did.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Anybody have any thoughts on Killjoys? I thought about watching it.

TV is showing Star Trek: Deep Space Nine so I am watching that...good gosh! Who watches this crap?! *runsforcover*

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Anybody have any thoughts on Killjoys? I thought about watching it.

It's an okay series with some interesting concepts, although I thought Dark Matter was the better of the two. I'm still irked that they cancelled Dark Matter.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

TV is showing Star Trek: Deep Space Nine so I am watching that...good gosh! Who watches this crap?! *runsforcover*

Back when DS9 first aired I thought the same. I vastly preferred B5 and, to be honest, I was biased against DS9 because it was 'Trek without the trekking (and like all of the 24th century Trek shows it took a while to find its footing). Then the DVDs came out I gave the show a fair chance and started to like... no, love it. Seasons 3, 4 and especially 5 are easily up there with the best TV has to offer.

I shudder at the thought that I once said I enjoyed Voyager more. Younger me was an idiot. ;)

Today I even like DS9 more than B5. It holds up over multiple viewings while B5 kind of doesn't. You'll have this magical first run through the series, the great second run where you spot the hints that the show gives before the big reveals and after that it's pretty much downhill. =/

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yeah, I mean ST and Farscape kind of sound similar if you give a short description but tonally and philosophically they're radically different from each other.

Farscape was inspired by Blake's 7, an old British sci fi show about... a bunch of convicts on a space ship running away from a galactic authority. In B7 they happened to be running away from... the Federation, who were basically an evil version of Star Trek's Federation complete with a very similar logo to Starfleet. So the similar descriptions are because B7 and Farscape (and Firefly, also inspired by B7) are near literally Through a Glass Darkly versions of Trek.

• Like 2

Yeah, I mean ST and Farscape kind of sound similar if you give a short description but tonally and philosophically they're radically different from each other.

Farscape was inspired by Blake's 7, an old British sci fi show about... a bunch of convicts on a space ship running away from a galactic authority. In B7 they happened to be running away from... the Federation, who were basically an evil version of Star Trek's Federation complete with a very similar logo to Starfleet. So the similar descriptions are because B7 and Farscape (and Firefly, also inspired by B7) are near literally Through a Glass Darkly versions of Trek.

Blake 7 gave us Avon and will forever be fondly remembered for that alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWHLU8fwi80

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."