That TV Topic

Blarghagh

The STD Spock? If so... well, that show will probably continue to suck anyway. Worst is, I can't stop me from watching that trainwreck.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Watched the first episode of the new Doctor Who season, which turned out to be all around sort of... okay.

I'm really hoping that Jodie Whittaker will come into her own somewhere along the ride. I'm positively tired of the showrunners and actors trying to emulate Matt Smith (who in turn just jacked David Tennant's portrayal up to eleven, haha, eleventh Doctor, get it? God).

The first half of the episode started with the usual post-regeneration shenanigans and of course a new sonic screwdriver that this time around looks like someone plated metal sheets on a ****.

Then we get really creative. Haha, I wish.

We have an alien coming to earth to hunt. He even looks the part, including taking trophies of his kills. At first it looks like he's after another alien (oh dear god) but eventually it's revealed the other alien is just his tracking device. The doctor and her new entourage venture forth to stop him from getting his quarry who he doesn't want to kill, but rather bring back home as living proof of his leet skills.

Right, so we're off to a really original start of a season that by the showrunners' own words won't include any iconic Doctor Who enemies or a story arc. I sure hope that means we'll at least be getting something else than rehashed 80ies b-movie plots.

I don't really have an opinion on the new companions yet. Still, I find it somewhat hilarious that when Matt Smith became doctor and Amy his companion people complained about the actors and the show becoming Hollyoaks, and now DW is full of Hollyoaks actors... and nobody complains because it's overshadowed by the sex change.

Can't say this episode left me excited for more but I'll still continue to watch. Oh yeah, and the production values seem to be way up. I wonder if there will be a bottle episode to make up for it. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

The STD Spock? If so... well, that show will probably continue to suck anyway. Worst is, I can't stop me from watching that trainwreck.

If you can't stop yourself from watching sucking stuff, then it must be the good kind ;) ;)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

If you can't stop yourself from watching sucking stuff, then it must be the good kind ;) ;)

Not really. Watching STD is a mix of masochism and the strange need to see what abject crap they come up with next.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Here's the new Spock

PIKEf30.jpg

Why he not black?
Because we already had a blaxk Spock that didn't work out well..

His name was Worf.

Don't say I didn't warn you though lol

Not really. Watching STD is a mix of masochism and the strange need to see what abject crap they come up with next.

Every ST fan will still watch it though, just like every SW fan will watch every "bad" Disney SW film and complain about it wasting their lives :lol:

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I think thats the first Vulcan that Ive ever seen with

facial hair. Well, except Evil Spock. :lol:

Must be from his human ancestry?

you are likely blocking out an unpleasant memory.

13+Sybok.jpg?resize=367%2C154

yes, we would all like to forget sybok, but spock's full vulcan half-brother were sporting the fanatic's beard decades past.  can't blame superior human dna or mirror universe for abundance o' whiskers.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yes I was blocking Sybok from my memory. Although he doesn't disprove the beards are evil theory.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Is it just me or does the Yennefer actor look rather young? I always thought Yennefer had some sort of semi-milf-y touch.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Renfri looks suitable.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Is it just me or does the Yennefer actor look rather young? I always thought Yennefer had some sort of semi-milf-y touch.

Based on the books, she's supposed to have a young look. She's old, but uses magic to make herself appear young.

The actresses are  "Freya" (cast as Ciri) and "Anya" (as Yennifer). Not only did Netflix finally decide not to change the character race and have a "multiracial" cast for the main characters, they cast white European actresses with the whitest names and looks possible. Have to say though, the casting is spot-on, exactly as the books described and the video game portrayed them.

P.S. Nevermind.   Cholotra is actually an INDIAN name - so is Anya.  After some research, I found out she is actually Indian ethnic.  Which means, Netflix actually cast an Indian actress who can pass for white.  Here is a video of her:

Edited by ktchong

Here is a better picture of Arya Chalotra, who was cast as Yennifer:

Anya-Chalotra-1.jpg

Is she ok, that right eye makes me think she had a stroke.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Hmmm... Not gonna lie, can't say I'm too excited about that choice. Not because I have never heard of the actress but because I don't get a Yennifer vibe from her. Maybe her acting and the makeup will convince me though.

I would have loved if this was our Yennifer though....

post-173997-0-27264400-1539235066_thumb.jpg

post-173997-0-72786100-1539235075_thumb.jpg

Eva Green is too old. Netflix has to cast someone young with the consideration that the show could continue for years. Evan Green is 38. If the series runs for seven seasons/years, she will be 45. Yennifer is perpetually young (looks late-20ish or 30) and does NOT look 45.  Arya Chalotra is 23 and will grow into the role nicely.  Nowadays, when casting for a franchise that runs for many years, the producers have to cast  actors who are young enough so they can play the roles for that long and still look the parts.   It is much easier to make someone look older (with makeup) than younger (with makeup or CGI).

Edited by ktchong