That TV Topic

Blarghagh

Tried to watch "Kidding" on Showtime. I should say first that I'm not a huge fan of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (it was ok, but I wasn't in love with it).

The premise of the show - Mr Rogers-like has a bleak mid-life crisis or some such - could be interesting/funny, but Kidding is so bleak and the chrs. rather unlikable/non-sympathetic (acting is fine) that it's kind of hard to get into the show. I like dark and tragi-comic/satire but it's another show where I hardly even chuckled. It's not just that it's not funny - it's not even interesting. Two episodes in, I turned it off. I guess I don't have the patience anymore for shows that don't at least give me a feeling of "I want to know more" within an hour or two.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So Fear the walking dead is getting stupid again. Why the hell do people get bitten in places that are covered in thick clothes? It's just so stupid. And you never see it happening, it's always later "oh look, somehow this zombie got through the clothes even though we saw them fight and nobody reached that area."

Would have been a nice twist if that bitten guy would have turned out to be immune. Now that could have led the story to some new, fresher grounds. Shame we probably never see something like that.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

This whole season of FtWD has been pretty stupid- think I've only really liked a couple of the early episodes and the Charlie/ Alicia one in the latter half. Which is a shame as S3 showed a lot of potential. I could understand them retooling it more directly towards its mother show when tWD was a ratings juggernaut, but now they've just brought over all the same problems tWD has and which ultimately caused its ratings to haemorrhage. The S4B villain has to be close to the worst written main villain I've seen in anything but has Negan level plot armour, the grey filter isn't artsy but just annoying and a visual drag, they've given no reason to care about the new characters while killing off established ones for shock and the patented late season tWD lack of even the most basic consistency in the plotting is in overdrive. I doubt I'll watch farther further unless the finale is stellar.

To be fair to them though I very much doubt Kirkman would let either show deal with someone being immune or a cure until and unless the comics do, so that bit of potential progression is off the table.

The beginning of that season actually floored me in a way. It was so different and more tense than before. But yeah, by now it's like it has fallen back to the old TWD ways, which is a real damn shame.

This could have become so much more...

Well, one episode left to go for this season... and yeah, the sudden appearance of the villain is very... ehhh. As if someone realized, damn, how the heck do we end this season?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Binged the 1st 3 seasons of "Bleach" (subbed) via Netflix. Mostly because I saw the live-actor movie (also on Netflix), which was very corny in some spots but did make me interested in the anime again. I'd heard of the series and even watched one episode years ago but I forgot about it.

Those 3 seasons were all right. After 1st season, I kept FFWDing through a lot of the slapstick, unnecessarily prolonged action sequences and side chr. diversions, mostly interested in the main story/villain arcs. Didn't like the pattern of starting a major battle then leaving it, sometimes taking 2-3 episodes to go back to/finish it after sidetracking. There's plenty to diss about the series but initially it's still worth at least skimming through.

Sadly, all the other seasons are on Hulu, which I don't like to watch/use much. All I want is to hop-skip through rest of the Aizen arc but I'm not sure I'll have the patience to FFWD through 20+ seasons for it. :getlost: Season 4 and 5 were apparently not even manga based, so I completely skipped those.

Anyway ... first 3 seasons were 65% fun and 35% boring. I liked Slayers much better overall (including its slapstick) but Bleach does have some good action and a few character/arc standouts. A lot of it is rather "meh" tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sadly, all the other seasons are on Hulu, which I don't like to watch/use much. All I want is to hop-skip through rest of the Aizen arc but I'm not sure I'll have the patience to FFWD through 20+ seasons for it. :getlost: Season 4 and 5 were apparently not even manga based, so I completely skipped those.

Bleach was in a slow decline after the Soul Society arc and went to free fall after Aizen was

defeated.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Latest season of Bojack is pretty okay. Not nearly as soul shattering as many previous ones.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm excited to be able to watch The Gifted season 2 episode 1 later today! Gimme dat Polaris, all hail the great granddaughter of Magneto!!!

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Latest season of Bojack is pretty okay. Not nearly as soul shattering as many previous ones.

It's the first season since the first one that I didn't binge watch. It's defintely good but failed to capture me like the three seasons before. I couldn't say why, it's not any one thing.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Bleach was in a slow decline after the Soul Society arc and went to free fall after Aizen was

defeated.

From what I can tell, in terms of the anime, that doesn't occur until season 22, and there are only 26 seasons?

I think it goes into decline well before that.

The main issue I have is there are way too many characters being constantly introduced for long stretches and then largely disappearing only to appear again later when convenient for a fight or exposition, then disappear again. It's chr. whiplash and I don't care about any of them.

By season 7 or 8 I'm only in it for the Quincy kid, Aizen/his plot, and the guy who owns the shop (in the striped clothes). Some of the others are fun as combat side chrs tho. Stop yapping, start fighting. :lol:

Vader Immortalis is a new series that aims to fill the many plotholes of Vader's misunderstood past. Vader Immortalis, check it out!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

So there's actually 2 high-budget live-action Star Wars tv series, already posted the link to the Darth Vader one.

Here is a link on the other one, which everyone thinks will be exclusive to the new Disney adult channel (streaming paltform) that they already comfirmed.

https://makingstarwars.net/2018/09/jon-favreaus-live-action-star-wars-television-series-starts-filming-next-week-first-set-photos/

I suspect the move to tv shows is to avoid any further failure within the cinime with the Star Wars franchise. Meh, oh well.

Edited by SonicMage117

I also watched Murphy Brown: The Return. A show I used to love in its original run.

These two shows are why even though I have many of the believes that 'traditional liberals' have  that I enjoy making fun of the nu versions.

MB is a liberal show. LMS is a conservative show.

MB spends it time bashing and dehumanzing conservatives. LMS makes fun of everyone including Tim Allen's character despite him being the lead star and conservative.

So dissappointed in Murphy Brown. Funny too. Since Murphy Brown was one tough cookie now she just another cornflake.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So apparently it is now officialy on the move past writing out screenplay scripts and testing the waters...

Variety - Amazon studios orders Wheel of Time series

Deadline - Jordan's Wheel of Time to tv series

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So apparently it is now officialy on the move past writing out screenplay scripts and testing the waters...

I've been waiting for this since they announced a movie ten or more years ago. I will only believe when I see it. :(

Call me a heretic, but while there was much to dislike about the crappy tv gimmick that was used by Red Eagle in an attempt to keep the licence, I actually quite enjoyed Billy Zane sinking his teeth into the role of Ishamael for that 22 minutes.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I've been waiting for this since they announced a movie ten or more years ago. I will only believe when I see it. :(

Call me a heretic, but while there was much to dislike about the crappy tv gimmick that was used by Red Eagle in an attempt to keep the licence, I actually quite enjoyed Billy Zane sinking his teeth into the role of Ishamael for that 22 minutes.

I know how you feel. I watched that and couldn't help but feel good for a moment. I read that prologue so many times that there was a time I could recite the dialogues. :p

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Watched the anime series Hakuōki Shinsengumi Kitan (22 episodes) which is based on a visual novel which is a (Japan) historical-fantasy based on the Shinsengumi group during the final years of Edo period.

First half was average to pretty good, then I basically cried through the 2nd half. And that's with me already knowing the story/route from the visual novel (which also had me sniffling in 4 chr. routes). The combat-bros, the end-of-an-era woes, THE FEELS. The VA's are mostly excellent. The female protagonist/narrator-eye is kind of annoying in that not-uncommon indecisive/in distress trope but not as annoying as many so I can overlook it. :p  ...also, I recognized one of the game/anime chr VA's from Bleach.

...realized Attack of Titans has a 3rd season going, need to fire that up next.