That TV Topic

Blarghagh

It's just in. Henry Cavill will play Geralt of Rivia on Netflix "Witcher" series.

Cavill is Geralt of RIvia

Perfect. He should really be able to nail the complete lack of emotion that Geralt puts off in the games.

He was offered a boatload of munny to play the beige piece of plywood, he played the beige piece of plywood the best and beigest as he could, you cannot fault the man for doing exactly what he was asked to do.  :biggrin: As for actual acting chops, he haz them. Watch "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."  :yes:

His acting was fine in The Tudors as well, though the character he played was usually written as Captain Cardboard and thus made a great prolonged audition for Supes. On the rare occasion he was given something to work with he worked well with it though, there was just a lot less of it for him than for Dormer/ Frain/ Neill.

I saw the first episode of The Purge, it was okay. I liked what I saw even though it was slow building. It only has 10 episodes so I was expecting it to start with a bang but looks like they intended to re-introduce what The Purge means, what it is.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Didn't like the most recent Castle Rock episode much. It's not that it wasn't well made, I just didn't like the plot turn I guess. Felt like kind of a let down with all the good build up. Maybe they'll twist it again a bit in the final episode tho.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Gave the Expanse a shot but couldn't make it through the first episode, probably less than half way through. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mindset for the show so I may come back to it. After that we finished up season 3 of Agents of SHIELD that we stopped watching whenever season 3 aired. Only watched one episode of season 4 and stopped there. Don't even know who the new director is and not too terribly eager to find out either.

I think that covers most of my TV week.

Season 4 of AoS was really good. Don't judge it based on the first episode.

As for the Expanse, I suggest you watch until episode 4 at least. But the first season is not as good as the second. And it just keeps getting better, despite some rushed things in the end of season 3 (probably because they thought it wouldn't get renewed).

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

We finished season 4 and are half way through 5 now. We would have quit after that first terrible episode if not for the folks here.

Still haven't gotten back to the Expanse and I'm not sure my wife can get through that many episodes without being drawn in. I'm only slightly more patient/masochistic as I was able to force myself to sit through Enterprise season 1 but with a lot of fast forwarding before dropping it for good.. and Star Trek is my favorite anything.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

It's just in. Henry Cavill will play Geralt of Rivia on Netflix "Witcher" series.

Cavill is Geralt of RIvia

Perfect. He should really be able to nail the complete lack of emotion that Geralt puts off in the games.

I think he's to young. Maybe they will make him older by CGI.

Yep. Too young and too... hunky. Geralt isn't a huge buff dude, and he's just ugly, even without the million scars.

I think it's an odd pick. And I actually liked Man of Steel. I still think Mads Mikkelsen would have been perfect, but he's probably just not high-profile enough.

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Mads Mikkelsen is a much better actor too, but I still think Cavill can be a good enough fit. The showrunner tweeted why he got the role:

"This is important, and from my heart. I met Henry in April. Over the next four months, I met/reviewed hundreds of other potential leads, many of whom were amazing. But what I never forgot was Henry's deeply insightful understanding of Geralt's strength and brutality, and more importantly, his wit and vulnerability. Because as a fan of the franchise, Henry saw beyond the script pages. He saw the human connection that Geralt perpetually needs, even if he denies it, kicking and screaming at every turn. What I saw was Geralt's heart, in Henry."

Just got hooked on Vikings (the 2013 TV series). Ragnar Lothbrok, what a badass.

Edited by wolfrider100
  • Like 1

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

Yeah, Mads Mikkelsen would have been the jackpot. I wonder if he tried to get the role and just didn't made it.

Mikkelsen might be a bit too old for the role, while Geralt looks old due to the white hair and scarring he isn't old for a witcher.

Nicholas Cage would be the best option, obviously.

"I'm still shocked that they would  sign an icky white man to play such an important role. For shame."

Give them a chance, they've only got one person cast so far.

(Ciri's leaked casting call is for a BAME teenager...)

Hopefully the leak is true, will get a kick out of the outrage over it

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, Mads Mikkelsen would have been the jackpot. I wonder if he tried to get the role and just didn't made it.

(Ciri's leaked casting call is for a BAME teenager...)

Just saw. Fans of both the books and games seem pretty upset. Ciri appearance is introduced in the books with “She had fair hair, ashen white complexion and large impetuous green eyes.”

As far as I know they isn't any authorial blessing with this, and is being done solely for marketing purposes and not anything to do with story changes. Which means the decision will inadvertently make the villainous faction minority invaders. Then there is the whole issue of taking Polish historical fiction and creating an exception to the appropriation rule because it's a historically "white" nation.

"That call is still going out, so we don’t know who’s playing her, but we do have two pertinent details on what the folks behind the series are looking for. More specifically, they want Ciri to be young, and they want her to not be white."

lololololol. Why do these people have to ruin everything? It's just unbelievable. All the books, all the games, yet Ciri has to be not white. Madness.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Saw some one say the original text is about the hair - "Miała jasne, mysiopopielate włosy i wielkie, jadowicie zielone oczy."

Then again the impostor is described as being pale skinned - "Zaś u boku hrabiny szła właścicielka wszystkich wymienionych przed momentem imponujących tytułów. Szczupła, jasnowłosa, niezwykle blada, lekko zgarbiona, w długiej błękitnej sukience. W sukience, w której najwy­raźniej czuła się nieswojo i źle".

Or so some people have said, someone Polish speaking can verify that.

Hm, wonder if Slavs count as a minority in the UK

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"That call is still going out, so we don’t know who’s playing her, but we do have two pertinent details on what the folks behind the series are looking for. More specifically, they want Ciri to be young, and they want her to not be white."

lololololol. Why do these people have to ruin everything? It's just unbelievable. All the books, all the games, yet Ciri has to be not white. Madness.

White woman got a little too much power and quality representation in the past few years apparently, so now they must be kicked down a notch and set aside. Why can't fictional individuals be treated with the same respect that a living individual would. We'd never take Anne Frank's or Jane Goodall's identity away from them.

As far as I know they isn't any authorial blessing with this, and is being done solely for marketing purposes and not anything to do with story changes. Which means the decision will inadvertently make the villainous faction minority invaders. Then there is the whole issue of taking Polish historical fiction and creating an exception to the appropriation rule because it's a historically "white" nation.

Don't think Sapkowski is associated with the show any more.

You could make the Nilfgardians more sympathetic easily enough- rather than being aggressive invaders show them as a force for order in the chaos, ignorance and infighting that is the norm.

Saw some one say the original text is about the hair - "Miała jasne, mysiopopielate włosy i wielkie, jadowicie zielone oczy."

Then again the impostor is described as being pale skinned - "Zaś u boku hrabiny szła właścicielka wszystkich wymienionych przed momentem imponujących tytułów. Szczupła, jasnowłosa, niezwykle blada, lekko zgarbiona, w długiej błękitnej sukience. W sukience, w której najwy­raźniej czuła się nieswojo i źle".

Minority and diversity only constitute a small portion of the color palettel; ever noticed how "Oscar so White" didn't include Mexicans.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"Minority and diversity only constitute a small portion of the color palettel; ever noticed how "Oscar so White" didn't include Mexicans."

Of course not. Diversity is now code for 'blacks'. Hence why  Black Panther is 'most diverse movie of all time'. Yes, that is an actual quote in various reviews of it. Funny enough, latinos are the biggest minority in the US though I'm guessing a lot of people aren't aware of that. Many people probably think blacks are 40% of the population. L0LZ

Poor latinos. Their minority when whites are mean to them but if they at emean to others they are considered 'white'. 

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Minority and diversity only constitute a small portion of the color palettel; ever noticed how "Oscar so White" didn't include Mexicans.

Yeah, but the BAME term has three parts so Mexicans would be the third part, as could Slavs. Would be also funny if it were that and all this outrage (wonder if they were to get mad if they used Triss' book hair colour rather than the game :p) would be for nothing.

Good comedy all around, I guess.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

6y06NQc.gif

Jewish would also technically fit the bill. Doubt the showrunner will see it that way, though.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

According to a Forbes article the author doesn't care. I looked into it briefly but only found that the author spoke to the showrunner about it and supposedly approves.

Anyways, nearing the end of Iron Fist season 2: Fist Harder. I like it a lot more than the first season which is rare for these Netflix Marvel shows but then again season 1 set the bar pretty low. 

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21