That TV Topic

Blarghagh

I am going to speak for you all whether you like it or not...

Never have we heard a more engaging or uplifting speech from a hollywood flounder. This was just beautiful.

Y'know, people said that Morgan Freeman didn't age, for a long time.

But I saw Patrick Stewart at a convention in ... maybe '91? Watching that video, he still looks quite the same. He even ... wears the same jeans and black belt with a white shirt. He must be time-traveling.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Started Ozark and really like it. Because I can't wait a half month for new episodes I started Narcos. Very different shows. I wish more shows would be done like Narcos, it's like a long form dramatized history lesson drama. Much like Band of Brothers, just with different cinematography and tone.

Well, you always have to remember that for Will & Grace,  John Barrowman was not cast as Will because they didn't consider him gay enough, but instead chose to go with straight man Eric McCormack.

Casting choices can be quirky.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Doing a skim marathon of Killjoys to remind myself what has gone on before so I can catchup on the current season...

Finished watching the first season of Disenchantment.

I'm not sure what I expected but this is eight episodes of boredom with a semi-parodical outlook on medieval swords and sorcery fantasy where every last joke falls completely flat. The show got one very short laugh out of me during the Hansel and Gretel bit - and that was making fun of Germans which is very much not a fantasy thing.

There's some nice meta irony in the final two episodes. The show becomes interesting the moment it stops trying to be funny and starts playing its setting completely straight, down to an incredibly obvious plot twist.

On the technical side the animation and art style is very Matt Groening (and thus also something I don't care for much, but at least it is servicable) and the voice cast does a top notch job. Except for Merkimer maybe. I'm not sure casting Matt Berry was such a good idea. I kept switching back to IT Crowd - something that's actually funny - every time he appeared. In all fairness that's more of my own personal problem though. :)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Apparently SJW don't agree with this. RR is not lesbian enough and not jewish to play Batwoman.

I always love how the left eats it's own.

Yep, seen that and she responded in a brilliant way to it too, basically said "F all of you, I'm doing this and I will no longer be on Twitter. I don't have time to focus on petty drama"

I'm paraphrasing of course, soon after she deleted her Twitter. I imagine the SJW's were furious but I doubt if Ruby Rose cares enough anymore to check on what they're writing amongst themselves. She's a very smart woman.

I'm not sure why all of a sudden it's a big deal to portray a different race or sexuality, that's nothing new in Hollywood or the superhero industry but then again, I'm not surprised, it's 2018 and people love to complain about anything - even when there's nothing to complain about lol

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Finished watching the first season of Disenchantment.

I tried to watch this last night. I wanted to turn it off in the first 10 minutes but I forced myself to watch two episodes. The 2nd was slightly better than the first but I think I only cracked a tiny smile a few times. I got the jokes ... I just didn't laugh at the presentation. The little demon chr. was the best thing about it. I've heard it gets a bit better later but the reaction I had to the first two episodes didn't make me think I'd become fond of it for becoming a "bit better."

Utterly boring, mostly.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'll be curious to see how this turns out...

io9 - Asimov's Foundation is finally being made

After years of false starts, both at the movies and on TV, Isaac Asimov’s Foundation just got a 10-episode, direct-to-series order from Apple, according to Deadline. The company acquired the rights to the property earlier this year, with Dark Knight writer David S. Goyer and Sarah Connor Chronicles’ Josh Friedman attached to executive produce and showrun. Skydance, the company behind the current Terminator, Mission: Impossible, and Star Trek franchises, is also on board.

john mccain on snl.

https://ew.com/tv/2018/08/25/john-mccain-best-saturday-night-live-moments/

am not certain how we missed the 2002 skit.

oh, and the new true detective trailer

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Watched the 7 available (out of 10?) episodes of Castle Rock, on Hulu.

To me it definitely has that Stephen King sort of "real world"+surreal vibe to it and it's fun with all the Castle Rock story references/easter eggs. Although maybe a little too much references occur. It's a bit of a slow set-up but by the end of Ep. 3 I was hooked in well enough. Good to excellent cast. Episode 7 was too oddball for me tho. I mean, nice mind-bender concept but not enough to fill a whole hour with so it felt too stretched I guess. Some might really like that episode tho.

Not sure how much non-King fans would like it but it's pretty decent.

• Like 1

I watched the same and agree 100%, although I'm not a massive Stephen King fan (only book of his I read was IT) and I didn't feel overwhelmed by references but I may not have been catching 'em all.

Really enjoying it so far but throughout episode 7 I was well and truly lost. :lol:

One that has an interesting concept will be out soon ; Perilous Realm (I believe on netflix)

Basically, that semi-fictionalised, semi-biopic series that follows JRR Tolkien and C S Lewis as they met, form a friendship, work their way past the shellshock of WW1, build their families and turn their bedtime stories and fairie tales into the characters and tales that will become their books.

I've seen a few small bits about it, but can't trace down anything exact, which is somewhat annoying.

Dangit, although the more I search for details the less I find. Making me wonder if it's partially faked somewhere and then spun out in the rumour mill.

Edited by Raithe

Gave the Expanse a shot but couldn't make it through the first episode, probably less than half way through. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mindset for the show so I may come back to it. After that we finished up season 3 of Agents of SHIELD that we stopped watching whenever season 3 aired. Only watched one episode of season 4 and stopped there. Don't even know who the new director is and not too terribly eager to find out either.

I think that covers most of my TV week.

Free games updated 3/4/21

For what it's worth I felt the same way after Agents of SHIELD's first season 4 episode. It's certainly the low point of the season. Actually it might even be one of the worst episodes of the show, and that's saying something after the first half of season 1. It gets better though. Especially the last third of the season is pure joy. :)

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Perfect. He should really be able to nail the complete lack of emotion that Geralt puts off in the games.

Keanu would have been better.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's probably a bit heresy, but I kinda like the old tv show. It's super trashy, but still I cannot not connect it to the old books.

/Edit: And now I want to read the first two books again.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."