That TV Topic

Blarghagh

Regular television is really garbage, and somehow that is still understating it at it's worst.

tl;dr - I fear that internet streaming services will end up just like regular old pay tv someday in the future.

Same, thing is though. I've seen the future. So there is only so much regression that I'm willing to tolerate. If I get priced out of the cream of the crop, then I'll just settle with books. Currently the competition between Amazon, Netflix, HBO, and Hulu seems pretty positive. BBC continues it's sluggish yet solid output. I hope things only continue to get better.

Watched first two episodes of Marvel's new show "Cloak and Dagger".

The show is an interesting mash up of contradiction on one hand you have the level of Woke and virtue signaling exceeding "Supergirl" levels, something I thought would be nearly impossible, on the other hand you have a parade of stereotypes of the highest order.

The main black character is of course the typical "angry black man", of course the bad cop killed his brother, who was of course part of the gang robbing cars, his mom is overworked black mother. Oh, and he plays sports and his name is Tyrone (but that's from comics so not the show fault). And that's just from one character bio. The other fine examples are Asian man running dry cleaning that is also illegally providing fake documents and Latino priest with lots of tattoos.

Also the show has the most repulsive pair of main characters ever.

I mean the guy is aggressive, uncooperative and selfish ass and he is the BETTER half of the titular duo. The girl is a whore, liar, thief, junkie, ungrateful daughter and MURDERER. All in the span of FIRST episode. Wow, I mean Dexter was about a serial killer and he still was hundred times more likable than this two.

There was like three characters that are were somewhat interesting.

the guy the main girl drugged, robbed and then killed when he found her and confronted about the robbery, the mother of Tyrone and the detective. Detective mainly because she has no dialogue in her scenes and the actress need to act non verbally.

Just so long as you know that this was all in the comics and not some kind of SJW agenda that they're trying to force via streaming a new show for current politics and what not.

The characters have literally always been this since they first appeared in the early 80's. I recall they were never exactly popular though so, I'm very surprised that they're just now making a fuss of them. Then again, since X-Men was ruined, they gotta fill the void anyway they can.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The show is an interesting mash up of contradiction on one hand you have the level of Woke and virtue signaling exceeding "Supergirl" levels, something I thought would be nearly impossible, on the other hand you have a parade of stereotypes of the highest order.

The main black character is of course the typical "angry black man", of course the bad cop killed his brother, who was of course part of the gang robbing cars, his mom is overworked black mother. Oh, and he plays sports and his name is Tyrone (but that's from comics so not the show fault). And that's just from one character bio. The other fine examples are Asian man running dry cleaning that is also illegally providing fake documents and Latino priest with lots of tattoos.

I mean the guy is aggressive, uncooperative and selfish ass and he is the BETTER half of the titular duo. The girl is a whore, liar, thief, junkie, ungrateful daughter and MURDERER. All in the span of FIRST episode. Wow, I mean Dexter was about a serial killer and he still was hundred times more likable than this two.

the guy the main girl drugged, robbed and then killed when he found her and confronted about the robbery, the mother of Tyrone and the detective. Detective mainly because she has no dialogue in her scenes and the actress need to act non verbally.

Just so long as you know that this was all in the comics and not some kind of SJW agenda that they're trying to force via streaming a new show for current politics and what not.

The characters have literally always been this since they first appeared in the early 80's. I recall they were never exactly popular though so, I'm very surprised that they're just now making a fuss of them. Then again, since X-Men was ruined, they gotta fill the void anyway they can.

This is BS and you know it. In the comics Tyrone didn't lose a brother and he wasn't rich kid and Tandy wasn't a street kid. The show is basically a complete rewrite of C&D origin story.
Yeah, there is the reverses and he lost his best friend instead of his brother, he also tried to steal from Tandy.

So doesn't that mean the show goes against racial stereotyping now?

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The Expanse S3E10

Im fanboying out here but, to me, every episode has been better than the last. It made me lol when the station

deconstructed the marine that threw the grenade, and only him, and then used him to patch the blast damage.

This season is great. I'm really glad the show is going to Amazon. As for that scene

"Look it's an alien station that can manipulate inertia! Let's start shooting and throwing grenades!" :facepalm:

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Started watching Lawless Lawyer via Viki website, mainly for the lead actor. I wasn't really expecting to like the series (his last k-drama, a version of Criminal Minds, was a poorly characterized snoozefest), just thought I'd check it out. Expected a crime/courtroom soap-melo.

But while it has typical such melo plotting and moments, it's also this crazy mix of wild action and absurd slapstick moments that I'm finding appealing for the constant change of pace. The chemistry and charisma of most of the cast in all their scenes (both the black and white hats) is pretty great too. Ran through 6 episodes before going to bed. Going to run to the store this morning then continue my binge watching. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

This is BS and you know it. In the comics Tyrone didn't lose a brother and he wasn't rich kid and Tandy wasn't a street kid. The show is basically a complete rewrite of C&D origin story.

IIRC Tyrone was from a poor family and Tandy was from a rich family.  Both were runaways (but not Marvel's Runaways, that's a completely different series).  Tyrone ran away after his best friend Billy was shot by cops.  Tandy ran away because she was (arguably) a victim of parental neglect.  Tyrone initially was going to rob Tandy out of desperation but stopped someone else from robbing her instead.  Tandy and Tyrone were offered shelter and Tandy accepted; Tyrone went along thinking that Tandy was getting herself into trouble.  Tyrone was right and both were given an experimental drug that ended up giving them superpowers.

Seems like the writers decided to flip flop elements (Tyrone being rich, Tandy not; Billy being a brother rather than a friend) - maybe they felt the original origin was too stereotypical?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Expanse is just so good. Really happy that Amazon picked it up. For once, we can have something nice.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The Expanse is just so good. Really happy that Amazon picked it up. For once, we can have something nice.

It is. And next season will be really good, if it follows what they've been doing so far, that is, finish a book and go halfway through another.

Altered Carbon was pretty good, way different than I was expecting.

I liked it a lot. More than everyone I've discussed it with.

sign.jpg

Altered Carbon had a strong start, but I didn't liked the last 1/4th of the season. The story suddenly went all downhill and became just so ehh.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Altered Carbon had a strong start, but I didn't liked the last 1/4th of the season. The story suddenly went all downhill and became just so ehh.

Yeah I feel ya, too much clinging to the past. It felt like none of the characters growth became permanent. Still enjoyed it.

Since it came up in the movie thread, the NZ based What We Do In The Shadows spin off 'Wellington Paranormal' has a trailer out.

July 11 here and I presume since it's Jemaine Clement/ Taika Waititi it will end up on international Netflixes or similar at some point. I'm reminded of the X-Files crossed with another NZ spoof sketch series, 'Speedo Cops'.

• Like 2

Read there was a Benedict Cumberbatch series on Showtime called Patrick Melrose (5 episodes) based on some books (unread by me, tho I have read some descriptions). Tried the first episode.

Totally a showy, plumb role for him. But at least in the first episode it's hard to get past that we're watching Mr. Cumber doing a marvelous showcase acting job at being snobby, being high on drugs and flailing about, being in withdrawal from drugs, being angry over a dark/abusive past, etc. The material, from what I read online, is pretty dark/grim (but not hopeless), but so far outside of stellar star acting I'm not getting too much from it. Maybe later episodes move away from Mr. Cumber's face a bit and we get more to care about.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Rewatching Tour of Duty on Youtube, but with the licensed music out it just isn't the same.  The intro music replacement is just awful.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Has anyone seen the entirety of Legend of Korra? I recently re-watched The Last Airbender for the first time since it aired and rather enjoyed it, and decided I'd finally give Korra a chance. I am really, really struggling to get through it. I guess the base problem is that I'm finding Korra to be a rather dumb and insufferable main character, while the rest of the main cast are a rather dour, colorless lot on the whole. I've liked the side characters (e.g. Tenzin and his family) and the villains much more than the main characters. Does it ever get any better, because I'm not sure I can handle much more of "Korra gets angsty about anything and everything, never seems to trust the word of her friends and mentors, and then predictably get proven wrong over and over while never learning". She reminds me more of early season Zuko than anything else, except not nearly as interesting.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Has anyone seen the entirety of Legend of Korra? I recently re-watched The Last Airbender for the first time since it aired and rather enjoyed it, and decided I'd finally give Korra a chance. I am really, really struggling to get through it. I guess the base problem is that I'm finding Korra to be a rather dumb and insufferable main character, while the rest of the main cast are a rather dour, colorless lot on the whole. I've liked the side characters (e.g. Tenzin and his family) and the villains much more than the main characters. Does it ever get any better, because I'm not sure I can handle much more of "Korra gets angsty about anything and everything, never seems to trust the word of her friends and mentors, and then predictably get proven wrong over and over while never learning". She reminds me more of early season Zuko than anything else, except not nearly as interesting.

I did..love it though , so can't help . Well..the 1st vilain was awesome though . Then get a bit boring...then get super awesome again . 

There is a great part in there . I didnt like the whole Mako crap...korrasami for meh ! 

They..personally , I wouldn't try to compare them . They stand alone even if they are tied trough history . for exemple , Aang boyish childish stuff in the 1st..got on my nerve alot (I liked when he was serious and stuff) . But the story was a bit more 'mature' , got that feel to it . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

The Last Airbender is a gem of a show.

Korra... is a neat extension of that premise, but mostly fails the capture a compelling narrative. I would say S3 of Korra is actually good. The rest I didn't care much for, though S1 & 2 at least setup 3. S1 is probably the second best season, I don't know what is worse between 2 and 4. S2 makes me mad as a fan, and S4 is just plain bad. At least 2 is redeemed by what was made possible in 3.

It's not a terribly long show so might as well see for yourself, but I guess it depends on how worth your time it all seems.

Edited by injurai
  • Like 1

Finished Luke Cage season 2. I really liked Bushmaster and didn't care much for Luke at the end.

'bout halfway through and am kinda struggling.  is a few decent performances and characters, but the melodrama is a bit thick, even for a comic book inspired show. am thinking we should switch audio to Spanish with English subtitles, 'cause is playing more like a Mexican soap opera than the better Netflix marvel seasons.  

will try and finish season two for luke cage, but am current enjoying it a bit better than iron fist and maybe equal to defenders

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm watching this : Murder she wrote . And it's very very good..(even if old)....

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Murder, She Wrote. Another old series one can point to when the suaul suspects whine about 'lack of female leads'. And, that's an older woman too. You know, despite all the crying that actresses are deemed 'worthless' the older they are. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Korra... is a neat extension of that premise, but mostly fails the capture a compelling narrative. I would say S3 of Korra is actually good. The rest I didn't care much for, though S1 & 2 at least setup 3. S1 is probably the second best season, I don't know what is worse between 2 and 4. S2 makes me mad as a fan, and S4 is just plain bad. At least 2 is redeemed by what was made possible in 3.

It's not a terribly long show so might as well see for yourself, but I guess it depends on how worth your time it all seems.

Yeah, I got through season 1 and was basically thinking that hey, it was getting sort of interesting and maybe this won't be so bad if the characters just grow a bit. And then Amon disappeared (though I have a feeling that's not the end of him) and Korra instantly got her bending back after two seconds, which gave the season a pretty poor bookend. Now I'm halfway through season 2 and Bolin seems to already be flanderized, Mako continues to be a grey blank slate that which nothing sticks to, Korra is back to completely ignoring the word of her friends while constantly being angry (her boyfriend literally tells her straight up that hey, I saw firebenders attacking this building, and she's just like nope, waterbenders did it - what is this writing?). I am more interested in Tenzin's family vacation (that so far seemingly has no relevancy) than I am in any of the main characters or plot...that seems like a bad sign to me, but what do I know.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah, I got through season 1 and was basically thinking that hey, it was getting sort of interesting and maybe this won't be so bad if the characters just grow a bit. And then Amon disappeared (though I have a feeling that's not the end of him) and Korra instantly got her bending back after two seconds, which gave the season a pretty poor bookend. Now I'm halfway through season 2 and Bolin seems to already be flanderized, Mako continues to be a grey blank slate that which nothing sticks to, Korra is back to completely ignoring the word of her friends while constantly being angry (her boyfriend literally tells her straight up that hey, I saw firebenders attacking this building, and she's just like nope, waterbenders did it - what is this writing?). I am more interested in Tenzin's family vacation (that so far seemingly has no relevancy) than I am in any of the main characters or plot...that seems like a bad sign to me, but what do I know.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63087-anime-the-emotional-rolercoaster/?p=1551437

airbender were consistent good with a fair number o' fantastic episodes.  

korra had a problem as it were dealing with an older protagonist but the show were aiming at much the same audience as airbender. korra had same kinda tone as airbender, and the korra protagonists were equal naïve as their predecessors.  add a few ya themes made korra actual feel less mature than airbender. even so, korra had a few good characters and a number o' good episodes, but am thinking it failed with older viewers such as Gromnir.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Rewatching Tour of Duty on Youtube, but with the licensed music out it just isn't the same.  The intro music replacement is just awful.

I presume the Youtube version is 'unofficial'- it was on TV here last year (and is on DVD) with the original soundtrack reinstated. Definitely a program which has aged well, but I wouldn't even bother watching without Paint It Black et alia to be honest.

I loved the first show, but Korra is just bad. The first season is still ok-ish, but after that you can really feel how the creators try to make **** up as they go. It gets especially bad to the end. I've heard that the studio was struggling in between the creation and I think they even changed completely at some point? Don't exactly remember... but this explains the huge mess that was created story-wise.

I'd gladly rewatch the Aang show at any point in time, but Korra is just no.