That TV Topic

Blarghagh

The Alienist

Watched half first episode, couldn't get into it, found the acting and direction very heavy handed, it was near pantomime-like.

Anyway, it's about a psychiatrist/ologist (yes I know the diff, I just didn't watch long enough to decide), , in 19th century USA. He helps police gain insight to particularly gruesome murders.

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

Lost in Space reboot, managed to get through about ten minutes of it before turning it off, anybody else fare any better?

Watched (well, kind of) three episodes this evening.

I had the same reaction of the first 10-15 minutes, where I was thinking about turning it off. I ended up skimming through another 15 minutes or so. They spend way too much time yakyak with family issues and I never like the constant "flashback" intercuts method of showing the events that led up to where the show opens.

But once Will finds the robot I perked up. It's the best thing on the show.

I don't like what they did with Dr. Smith, and not because she's a she. She feels (in 3 episodes) like a straight up "bad" character, she's not sympathetic-bad at all. I can understand not wanting comic-relief or slapstick like in original series but being so unsympathetic makes her uninteresting, is all. She's boring. The actress is ok, the chr. is one-note and dull even with obvious attempts to humanize her a little.

The rest of the cast is adequate but nothing stands out about of the chrs. They're serviceable, not memorable. All the family drama (parents are estranged, struggle for who's in charge of decisions re: kids and work) bits are a snooze. I kept FF for 30 seconds or so then watching 5 minutes, FF 30 seconds, etc.

Robot is the best thing tho and I kept watching for its scenes, wondering what the background for it is going to end up being. If I watch more however, I'm going to be skimming a lot just to see Robot mostly. I don't think I could take 7 more episodes of modern-style-dysfunctional Family Robinson.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Lost in Space reboot, managed to get through about ten minutes of it before turning it off, anybody else fare any better?

Watched (well, kind of) three episodes this evening.

I had the same reaction of the first 10-15 minutes, where I was thinking about turning it off. I ended up skimming through another 15 minutes or so. They spend way too much time yakyak with family issues and I never like the constant "flashback" intercuts method of showing the events that led up to where the show opens.

But once Will finds the robot I perked up. It's the best thing on the show.

I don't like what they did with Dr. Smith, and not because she's a she. She feels (in 3 episodes) like a straight up "bad" character, she's not sympathetic-bad at all. I can understand not wanting comic-relief or slapstick like in original series but being so unsympathetic makes her uninteresting, is all. She's boring. The actress is ok, the chr. is one-note and dull even with obvious attempts to humanize her a little.

The rest of the cast is adequate but nothing stands out about of the chrs. They're serviceable, not memorable. All the family drama (parents are estranged, struggle for who's in charge of decisions re: kids and work) bits are a snooze. I kept FF for 30 seconds or so then watching 5 minutes, FF 30 seconds, etc.

Robot is the best thing tho and I kept watching for its scenes, wondering what the background for it is going to end up being. If I watch more however, I'm going to be skimming a lot just to see Robot mostly. I don't think I could take 7 more episodes of modern-style-dysfunctional Family Robinson.

I didn't get as far as the robot, just to where they exit the ship, I'll give it another go, to see the robot. I loved the original as a kid, so maybe I'm being a bit pernickety with my rosy glasses :)

I think part of the problem is that we're not kids anymore, so we're rating the series as science fiction/drama for adults, which it most certainly isn't. There are plot holes you could drive a space ship through, but compared to the stuff in the original series, they're almost plausible. Compared to anything else, they're ludicrous.

The only characters I cared about was Penny (the slacker), Don (the rogue) and the Robot. Oh, and the chicken. The chicken may not be the best portrayed, but she's probably the only character whose fate some viewers worry about. Debbie is incredibly lucky though, so she'll probably survive anything short of a supernova.

If Season 2 gets greenlit, prepare for "timey wimey" stuff.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2018/04/18/lost-in-space-producer-talks-season-2-and-time-jumps

I think part of the problem is that we're not kids anymore, so we're rating the series as science fiction/drama for adults, which it most certainly isn't. There are plot holes you could drive a space ship through, but compared to the stuff in the original series, they're almost plausible. Compared to anything else, they're ludicrous.

The only characters I cared about was Penny (the slacker), Don (the rogue) and the Robot. Oh, and the chicken. The chicken may not be the best portrayed, but she's probably the only character whose fate some viewers worry about. Debbie is incredibly lucky though, so she'll probably survive anything short of a supernova.

If Season 2 gets greenlit, prepare for "timey wimey" stuff.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2018/04/18/lost-in-space-producer-talks-season-2-and-time-jumps

Guilty pleasure confession..... I actually liked the movie :)

I don't like what they did with Dr. Smith, and not because she's a she. She feels (in 3 episodes) like a straight up "bad" character, she's not sympathetic-bad at all.

To be fair, this is actually true of the original series. As late as episode 6 of the original series, Dr. Smith was still trying to kill the Robinsons (but that's pretty much the last of it; the episode sees him changing his mind because he can't stand not having any human contact, so he sends the Robot to rescue the family).

That said, I'm somewhat dismayed to hear we're getting dysfunctional Family Robinson. Not surprising in this day and age, I guess, but still disappointing.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That said, I'm somewhat dismayed to hear we're getting dysfunctional Family Robinson. Not surprising in this day and age, I guess, but still disappointing.

Well it does become milder towards the end. I can understand using that as a setup for showing growing solidarity later but it went on far too long, imo.

Finished skimming through the series. Robot was still the best thing. Of the Robinson's the one I liked the best was the older daughter. Ms. Smith stayed boring and one-note, although if there's a 2nd season maybe they'll develop/turn her a little bit. Maybe. Don is ok but feels more like comic relief guy so far.

At any rate, nothing special overall, and in the end the whole series (story wise) feels like it was a pilot script stretched to series-length.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finished season 2 of The Last Kingdom, binged over the weekend to the finale, it was really good. Only 8 episodes per season, so no filler, it rollicks along at a fast pace.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4179452/

Tried Medici : Masters of Florence, couldn't get into 8t,I like period drama, but it never felt dramatic, very subdued over the two episodes I watched.

Tried The Mist., Managed a half of episode 1, dunno if it improves but seemed very diverse and politically correct, as if they were ticking off boxes, College Football team rape, pansexuality, anti sex ed., homophobia , locked a black dude in jail and that was in the first 20 minutes.....oh and a dog got killed... Hated that.

I was trying to dig up some clip of John Glovers Devil from Brimstone to discuss some stuff with a friend and stumbled on this look back at it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQtdG6e7m3I

Dammit, that was another great show that Fox killed for no good reason.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Gave that new Rosanne a try since I did enjoy the original series for a few seasons.

First new episode I think I half-chuckled once. Felt like half of them were reading lines off cuecards. I don't know, their line delivery timing felt way off. Darlene was the best performer. It's nice to see John Goodman in anything but other than that...eh. It's not that it's bad, but I didn't find it funny.

Checked out this SWAT TV show and... thought it was retarded. I can't exactly say what SWAT members do all day long, but I'm pretty sure the stuff they do in that episode is exactly *not* what they do. Running around, investigating cases, dealing with civilian mobs, etc.

Not sure if I can sit through another episode.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I watched Outcast and can barely remember anything about it apart from Philip Glenister and that I thought it was pretty good at the time. I guess that means it was enjoyable, but not memorable.

I've only seen 2 episodes so far, was a bit slow to start, but when it did kick off, I liked it, hopefully it will keep t up, different strokes :)

So I started watching this Sirens tv show. So far it's actually not that bad. I'm wondering if it spawned from this Shape of Water thingy. I'm curious if there is going to be fish sex at some point between the siren, the male lead and the other female lead.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Not yet, but I still have 3 more episodes to go.

The casting of the first siren is pretty good, imo. She has some weirdly looking face for that. The second siren on the other hand just looks like your generic black girl. Bad choice. Also feels like forced diversity once again.

I'm pretty sure they are going to fight each other later, because the one had a good experience with the humans and the other had not. Hope it won't end in always the same cliches.

Edited by Lexx

Not yet, but I still have 3 more episodes to go.

The casting of the first siren is pretty good, imo. She has some weirdly looking face for that. The second siren on the other hand just looks like your generic black girl. Bad choice. Also feels like forced diversity once again.

I'm pretty sure they are going to fight each other later, because the one had a good experience with the humans and the other had not. Hope it won't end in always the same cliches.

She's nearly 30, you wouldn't think that to look at her.

Outcast. Exorcism based TV show. Not for the squeamish, but good so far.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4229954/

The series is excellent , it really grows on you. I am an avid fan of both seasons 

I like all the characters and also trying to work out what the "demons\aliens " are about is entertaining and thought provoking   :geek:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela