A new proposal on Resolve/Interruption system

dunehunter

I'm reading a lot threads and discussions about the new changes to Resolve due to the interruption/concentration changes in DF. And a lot effort has made to try to fit this into the new System. Here I come a new idea that might solve the issue we have.

1. Changing the Interruption/Concentration system in this way: 

• Old: An Interruption has 100% chance to break a layer of Concentration.
  • Now: An Interruption has 50% chance to break a layer of Concentration.

2. Knockdown as a Stronger version of Interruption so it still has 100% chance to break a layer of Concentration.

3. Each point of Resolve reduce this break chance by 3%. So for a 20 Resolve player, the chance to break his Concentration is only 20%.

4. Furthermore, we can give Perception +chance to break Concentration in the same way as Resolve.

5. Question: does this make Interruption too weak?

Answer: I don't think so because based on how many method some classes has to interrupt, for example Rooting Pain, and Blunderbuss + Interruption ability, and any Full Attack that delivers two interruptions.

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

I think some testing with the numbers definitely needs to be done, but I like this a lot more than the random empowers idea.

Of course I'm not the best judge. I'm not entirely clear on how the new concentration mechanics work just yet.

I think some testing with the numbers definitely needs to be done, but I like this a lot more than the random empowers idea.

Of course I'm not the best judge. I'm not entirely clear on how the new concentration mechanics work just yet.

Yep I agree the numbers need adjustment. One reason I come to this idea is because the interruption in DF is a bit too powerful now. There are so many way to cause interruption, spells that interrupt on critical, abilities that cause interruptions multiple times in one ability, but lack way to get Concentration, or resist Interruption.

• Like 2

I just wonder how this would feel when combined with the changes to cancelling. I feel like interrupts are going to be a lot easier to play around when you can see them coming thanks to the ability to instantly cancel your abilities mid-cast, so the numbers should be balanced with that in mind so that people who pay attention and people who don't are rewarded and punished appropriately.

• Like 1

Eh, I'm not a fan of this for three reasons.

1) I disagree that it doesn't make interrupts too weak, especially as the entire point of some skills is to interrupt and outside of that they're strictly inferior to others.

2) It provides no benefits for non-casters.

3) With the increases in cast speed, this would functionally be a massive buff to casters. Not only do you have a considerably shorter time to interrupt them, chances are you'll fail if you try anyway.

Edited by CottonWolf
  • Like 1

Eh, I'm not a fan of this for three reasons.

1) I disagree that it doesn't make interrupts too weak, especially as the entire point of some skills is to interrupt and outside of that they're strictly inferior to others.

2) It provides no benefits for non-casters.

3) With the increases in cast speed, this would functionally be a massive buff to casters. Not only do you have a considerably shorter time to interrupt them, chances are you'll fail if you try anyway.

But if they wanna go back to PoE 1 style of Might/Res, chance based interruption like the system I describled is pretty close to their PoE 1 interrupt system. Unless they want to roll totally back to PoE 1 one.

To your question 1), some ability now causes multiple interruption, which makes concentration meaningless. Shattered Pillar with Rooting Pain can cause 3-4 interrupt at once. What is the meaning of Concentration if you get 3 interruption in a row? Unless u have 3 layer of Concentration on, it is impossible to resist interruption.

To your question 2), this won't have no benefit for non-casters for the reason I explained below:

Interruption does affect non-casters, actually interruption reset your recovery time like it did in PoE 1. So if you have 4 second recovery time, and somebody interrupt you before u finish your recovery. You will need to recover again, aka waste 4 second. So if enemies chain interrupt abilities to your character, I'm pretty sure he won't be able to reaction because interruption keeps reset his recovery time. It is same as the mechanism in PoE 1, but since the recovery time in DF is much longer, this is more important.

To your question 3), as I said in question 1), if you really wanna interrupt enemies, there are multiple ways, and the best way to do this is dual wielding fast weapon, or use a blunderbuss.

Edited by dunehunter