Resolved to fix Resolve!

Hello!

I avoided to reply to this ongoing issue so far. I want to give my 2 cents to this.

I don't think adding new bonuses to stats is the right way to go. You see I think in its current form intellect and resolve bonuses are wrongly placed.

Most martial classes don't benefit from spell damage and healing bonuses, as well as aoe bonus, because they are mostly single target and abilites are self focused.

They benefit from duration bonus and defense bonus.

Casters benefit from all of this, so most likely they will invest to both stat.

So how would you make resolve very usefull?

I think you all know where I'm heading.

I would swap the duration bonus of intellect and the spell damage and healing bonus of resolve. This way intellect would maintain the same usefullness to casters and who want range, and resolve would become usefull to all classes. 

This is  more fitting from an rpg standpoint. 

Resolve - a character's internal drive, determination, fearlessness

If you are 'resolute' you will fight longer, you will be determined to maintain your abilities longer. To make a stand where others would fall.

Cast the resolve inspiration your characters will be able to deflect more hits, give buffs and use abilities that last longer. 

Intellect - a character's logic and reasoning capabilities

As an intelligent person you get insight to spell manipulation. Your spells will hit harder, and in a larger scale.

If you are an intelligent fighter, you realize, how to employ attacks to hit more enemies. 

Cast Intellect inspiration, your characters will reach further, and heal and damage with spells harder.

This is the most simplistic and most beneficial resolution to this issue.

Makes attribute allocation much more better. You can make better combinations, with better results. It does not put things inbalance. As a monk or fighter you can finally maintain your buffs for enough time. As a paladin you can decide if you want your heals last longer, or heal harder. As a barbarian you can decide if you want frenzy to last longer and receive less damage or your carnage attacks hit everyone in the map. As a caster you can decide if you want to focus on affliction spells that last longer, or a damage dealer who hit all...hard. As a rogue you could maintain your debuffs and bleeds longer and make yourself more durable if you choose to.

Same with self or nonself heals. Do you want a constant recovery that last longer or a constant recovery that heals more.

Do you want your barbarians savage defiance to heal you longer or last longer?

Do you want a healing spell to heal harder and on a larger area? Yes.

Do you want a healing over time to heal harder or heal longer or both?

You would gain all these great choices you can make.

Edited by Soulmojo
  • Like 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the best fix for Resolve is to get rid of it. Turn Strength back into Might (add back the spell damage and healing buffs), give the Deflection bonus to Dexterity (because it boarders on a dumpstat), and the will bonus to Perception (I'd prefer to give it to Intellect, but Int. already has a Will bonus).

• Like 2

+1 to ditch Resolve, and to revert Strength to Might. I'd rather give the Deflection bonus to Perception, as it seems to be somewhat inferior to Dexterity right now.

I can't see a good place to the lost Will bonus. It might be easier to restore some kind of symmetry by removing the Fortitude bonus from Might, and Reflex from Dexterity.

+1 to ditch Resolve, and to revert Strength to Might. I'd rather give the Deflection bonus to Perception, as it seems to be somewhat inferior to Dexterity right now.

I can't see a good place to the lost Will bonus. It might be easier to restore some kind of symmetry by removing the Fortitude bonus from Might, and Reflex from Dexterity.

DPS/fortitude/will to Might, health/fortitude/heal bonus to Con, action speed/reflex/deflection to Dexterity, accuracy/reflex to Perception (it might be a little bit behind dex, but accuracy and crit chance need buffing and that might even things out), AOE/ability duration/will to Intellect.

Edited by the_dog_days

Josh has already stated they are not getting rid of an attribute(s). 

Of course not, yet it's a big struggle to fill Resolve with value!

It seems strange for me that the number of attributes had been set in stone long time ago, before defining their effects (and what they exactly represent).

Edited by Raenvan

You know how much work and time to remove something this fundamental to a game?

I'm not saying that they should be lazy, but dude there is no time to do this. 

Maybe for the third installment, but not this.

Whatever they choose, the must choose something which is beneficial and does not upset the foundation of the game.

And if they do it anyway, then it would generate a whole bunch of bugs they cannot address only after release.

Edited by Soulmojo

Josh has already stated they are not getting rid of an attribute(s).

Even so, they have got rid of PoE Concentration and substituted Resolve conversation checks with skills. Almost nothing has survived, just the attribute itself (before the Might split).

I feel that removing an attribute would lead to a bigger ****storm, than keeping resolve as a "meh" stat. If the new "empower" system will be kept I imagine I will keep resolve mostly at 10, maybe except a high might/resolve mage, for a big DPS. Whenever, removing "resolve" would lead to major unforseen consequences, I can't say. 

I feel that removing an attribute would lead to a bigger ****storm, than keeping resolve as a "meh" stat. If the new "empower" system will be kept I imagine I will keep resolve mostly at 10, maybe except a high might/resolve mage, for a big DPS. Whenever, removing "resolve" would lead to major unforseen consequences, I can't say. 

If most players (including me) keep Resolve at neutral 10, it becomes a constant "attribute". Which would be equivalent with a removed attribute, except for the major unforseen consequences :)

If most players (including me) keep Resolve at neutral 10, it becomes a constant "attribute". Which would be equivalent with a removed attribute, except for the major unforseen consequences :)

If "empower" (in quotes to mean it could replenish powers, boost powers, whatever--not being specific here) results in an OP attribute if you are in a fight for 10 minutes (probably less, just picking a number) and an underpowered attribute if you are in a fight for 10 seconds (again, just picking a number), then resolve becomes the important attribute for those who go for an attrition win in combat and a dump stat for those how like to resolve combat with alpha strikes. That's a good result. It also gives resolve an identity as the stat you want if your fights go long.

• Like 2

If "empower" (in quotes to mean it could replenish powers, boost powers, whatever--not being specific here) results in an OP attribute if you are in a fight for 10 minutes (probably less, just picking a number) and an underpowered attribute if you are in a fight for 10 seconds (again, just picking a number), then resolve becomes the important attribute for those who go for an attrition win in combat and a dump stat for those how like to resolve combat with alpha strikes. That's a good result. It also gives resolve an identity as the stat you want if your fights go long.

Your argument makes sense, although I wonder how common it might be to go for the attrition route. By the way, Resolve isn't the best label for such a characteristic.