So I've been going back and forth from a new playthrough of Pillars 1, Pillars 2 Beta, and Icewind Dale. I've had some stuff on my mind I'd like to discuss.

- Consumables -

One thing I've noticed in my playings of the Pillars games is that I hardly use consumables even when I want to use them. When in tough fights I find that for whatever reason when I select a potion something happens and it never activates. Then when playing Tyranny recently I found that my potion use was constant and the acquisition of more was crucial. I've been thinking that it may have something to do with the recovery system and, thought I may get castrated for this suggestion, cooldown based potion consumption would make potions overall more useful. One other thing, I think that certain potions such as regeneration pots should be able to be used outside of combat. I know that it clashes with many of the design choices and I agree with it for the most part, It's just that my ocd tendencies hate having a stash full of potions I have no use for and regen pots especially don't contribute enough in the middle of combat. One other thing, please let me craft higher tier potions with the ones I've outgrown or have them be percentage based. I can't recall if this has been changed in POE2 but it bugs me.

- Traps - 

I have a confession: even though the use and abuse of traps is a favored tactic with many players, I never use the things and just end up selling them off. I've used traps in plenty situations in games such as Dragon Age Origins yet in Pillars when I try them out they never feel necessary in non-cheesy tactics. Could it be the AOE isn't large enough? or that there weren't many places to bottleneck successfully? I have no clue.

If I can think of anymore stuff to whine about I'll post it below.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Or both. :lol:

I also don't use consumables when I play with a full party. Also not on PotD. Mostly because I'm too lazy. And also because I don't need to of course.

It's different for solo PotD. There I use everything I can get.

Consumables in Deadfire are a lot better than in PoE (especially with enough Alchemy). So maybe my behaviour will change. But I doubt it...

I also never use traps. In PoE they are weak - so why the hassle?

In Deadfire they are quite good. Again, maybe I should change my bahaviour...

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Consumables are better than PoE and they have a short recovery.

So if you want to use them - they are a fine addition to use at start of the battle when rest of the team is casting buffs. And this is what I consider them as - self buffs to cast in the initial moments of combat, probably to be automated (like other buffs) through party AI so I won't forget to do them.

In the heat of the battle - as OP said - there are soo many other things to do :)

Traps are.. I did not use them much, but they are surely fun if you have a ranged character who can then open combat from stealth from distance (while rest of team is in stealth not to run into the traps) and enemies get kited through traps into your ambush. But they are very situational.

Edited by Veevoir

I've fiddled around in the beta but I haven't gotten very deep so as to not spoil myself too much. I'm glad things have improved, though I guess these were obvious fixes.

Another thing that could use improvement are the watcher abilities. I really enjoy the thought of having them but the right opportunity never seems to come up. Either the fight is over before the need arises or the fight is so intense I'm too focused on my hard hitting class abilities to even think of messing around with them.

I guess the same was true with the Bhaalspawn powers although turning into a Slayer was pretty badass so I usually give it a pass.