Priest still a ‘must add’ for Deadfire?

Frog Man

My first playthrough of POE1 was without a Priest (once I got enough party members to ditch Durance) at release and I found it easier than when I did it playing as a Priest in another playthrough.

I never understand people saying that POE1 party required a Priest personally.

??? what difficulty did you play on? It's not that potd isn't possible without a priest, but tons of fights get ridiculously annoying when you're charmed repeatedly or perma frightened in dragon fights. I can't imagine the game somehow being easier with no party wide means of removing crippling afflictions.

Played on normal, but I suspect Veteran is similar considering I don't bother min/maxing/optimizing and only rest when health gets too low.

My without Priest party deal with affliction by having a Chanter (support chant/invocation) and Paladin (Liberating Exhortation mostly). Healing was the druid and paladin, but I need more healing with the druid party (killed stuff faster in the first playthrough). I haven't tried Chanter support in 3.0 yet, but it has even more tools to deal with afflictions via chants and invocations and unlike a Priest, they aren't per-rest.

How bad would it be if the Chanter was a Skald, and thus had to pay an extra +1 for each defensive Invocation he cast?

From my Deadfire beta experience, the Skald is the better Chanter for casting any Invocations, that +1 cost for not-offensive invocations isn't much compared to how fast they gain phrases via crit with the right build. Also, Chanter, in the beta, currently have 4 of the 6 affliction group covered by chants (bundled in group of 2).

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

My first playthrough of POE1 was without a Priest (once I got enough party members to ditch Durance) at release and I found it easier than when I did it playing as a Priest in another playthrough.

I never understand people saying that POE1 party required a Priest personally.

??? what difficulty did you play on? It's not that potd isn't possible without a priest, but tons of fights get ridiculously annoying when you're charmed repeatedly or perma frightened in dragon fights. I can't imagine the game somehow being easier with no party wide means of removing crippling afflictions.

Played on normal, but I suspect Veteran is similar considering I don't bother min/maxing/optimizing and only rest when health gets too low.

My without Priest party deal with affliction by having a Chanter (support chant/invocation) and Paladin (Liberating Exhortation mostly). Healing was the druid and paladin, but I need more healing with the druid party (killed stuff faster in the first playthrough). I haven't tried Chanter support in 3.0 yet, but it has even more tools to deal with afflictions via chants and invocations and unlike a Priest, they aren't per-rest.

How bad would it be if the Chanter was a Skald, and thus had to pay an extra +1 for each defensive Invocation he cast?

From my Deadfire beta experience, the Skald is the better Chanter for casting any Invocations, that +1 cost for not-offensive invocations isn't much compared to how fast they gain phrases via crit with the right build. Also, Chanter, in the beta, currently have 4 of the 6 affliction group covered by chants (bundled in group of 2).

Invocations either provide inspirations (which cancel all afflictions on the same attribute regardless of tier) or outright immunity to certain afflictions (immunity to dex, immunity to resolve). The mass charm invocation presumably counters enemy charm/dominate too. 

Chants: 

Resistance to resolve and constitution afflictions

Resistance to strength and dexterity afflictions

+fortitude and +will defense

Invocations:

Immune to dexterity afflictions (+ strength inspiration when dexterity affliction "cleared")

Immune to resolve afflictions

Strength and resolve inspirations

Dexterity and perception inspirations

Mass Charm

However, the resistance chants will only downgrade 2nd and 3rd tier afflictions by one. So chanter abilities so far can't negate Confused or downgraded Constitution afflictions (tier 1 or 2).

Edited by SaruNi

Why not? If you are a Berserker/Paladin and get a resistance to intellect afflictions via paladin's passive ability you won't get confused anymore.

Yes, but chanters by themselves don't have any way to negate Confusion---none of the chants grant resistance to intellect afflictions, none of the invocations give intellect inspirations, etc. 

A Chanter and a single-class Paladin and/or several characters with afflliction resistances should be able to handle afflictions pretty easily without a priest. But without that, having a single-class support/healing Chanter (Skald probably) take on a Priest's role is certainly theoretically possible if complicated---curious how effective it is in practice.

Edited by SaruNi

This thread gets to the very nub of my great excitement for PoE2. I love pretty much everything about PoE1 except for one major thing: no multi-classing. I hate spellcaster classes and spellcasting as a mechanic in games going back to Baldur's Gate, and always only took spellcasters along with me in my party if I could dual/multi-class them with some warrior class. That PoE1 forced me to devote entire party slots to the priest/wizard/druid classes or else go without the aid of priest/wizard/druid spells in critical situations always bugged me, but in PoE2 I won't have to make that choice anymore. My "priest" will now always be a melee warrior first, and my "wizard" will always be a ranged warrior. :)

Why not? If you are a Berserker/Paladin and get a resistance to intellect afflictions via paladin's passive ability you won't get confused anymore.

Yes, but chanters by themselves don't have any way to negate Confusion---none of the chants grant resistance to intellect afflictions, none of the invocations give intellect inspirations, etc. 

A Chanter and a single-class Paladin and/or several characters with afflliction resistances should be able to handle afflictions pretty easily without a priest. But without that, having a single-class support/healing Chanter (Skald probably) take on a Priest's role is certainly theoretically possible if complicated---curious how effective it is in practice.

None between level 1 and 9. In POE1, the chanter counter for confusion/charmed/dominate was only available at level 13 (required WM1).

Also, checking all the classes, none of them can deal with all 6 categories. The Priest cannot counter Dexterity afflictions and outside perception and strength, everything else is single target inspiration (no resistance to, no immunity to).

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

None between level 1 and 9. In POE1, the chanter counter for confusion/charmed/dominate was only available at level 13 (required WM1).

Also, checking all the classes, none of them can deal with all 6 categories. The Priest cannot counter Dexterity afflictions and outside perception and strength, everything else is single target inspiration (no resistance to, no immunity to).

But Priests (and multi-class Priests) of course have Suppress Affliction (AoE with duration)... granted, limited to 2 per Priest, and the base duration is only 10 seconds. And single-class Paladins have Liberating Exhortation (20 seconds base duration, but single target).