So I will be the first to admit that I am not good at builds and I seem to constantly not be happy with my character.  I am trying to put together a final play through before Pillars 2 comes out and would like to know if the following build would be worthwhile.  Please note I like playing gun characters and if possible using one handed weapons only...

My idea behind this would be a character that quickly goes through their ranged weapons and charges into melee to finish combat.

Bleak Walker Paladin

Island Aumaua

Talents

The Black Path / or Critical Focus?

Remember Rakhan Field

Quick Switch 

Weapon Focus Soldier

Scion of Flame

Intense Flames

Penetrating Shot

One handed Style

Abilities

Zealous Focus

Inspiring Triumph

Coordinated Attacks

Sworn Enemy

Reviving Exhortation

Sacred Immolation

Healing Chain?

Behold the Martyr

The difficulty most likely will be POTD and as far as equipment I will use the usual arquebus (pilambo and an exceptional) and most likely Godansthunyr.  Ryona's Vambraces for extra penetration as well.

Would this build be worth it or would it be drastically outclassed by others?

I appreciate all the help!

Edited by Petey488

So I will be the first to admit that I am not good at builds and I seem to constantly not be happy with my character. I am trying to put together a final play through before Pillars 2 comes out and would like to know if the following build would be worthwhile. Please note I like playing gun characters and if possible using one handed weapons only...

My idea behind this would be a character that quickly goes through their ranged weapons and charges into melee to finish combat.

Bleak Walker Paladin

Island Aumaua

Talents

The Black Path / or Critical Focus?

Remember Rakhan Field

Quick Switch

Weapon Focus Soldier

Scion of Flame

Intense Flames

Penetrating Shot

One handed Style

Abilities

Zealous Focus

Inspiring Triumph

Coordinated Attacks

Sworn Enemy

Reviving Exhortation

Sacred Immolation

Healing Chain?

Behold the Martyr

The difficulty most likely will be POTD and as far as equipment I will use the usual arquebus (pilambo and an exceptional) and most likely Godansthunyr. Ryona's Vambraces for extra penetration as well.

Would this build be worth it or would it be drastically outclassed by others?

I appreciate all the help!

It will work

Assuming you are getting FoD at one. I’d get righteous soul over healing chain. Fear and Terror can kill your DPS. You can use scrolls to make yourself immune but while you are using scrolls you aren’t fighting. This ability will also make mind control spells irrelevant. A party member can cast a scroll on you as well but I don’t like wasting other party members time on sureing up weaknesses of a character.

I’d get rid of:

The black path (lots of things are immune to fear, like too many)

Since you are doing a one handed build ya Critical Focus is ok.  By itself it stinks but if you stack it with other hit to crit its fine.

Reviving Exhortation is good but can be replaced by:

An urn that you get from a random stronghold quest with 7 charges (should be enough) that gives you that ability.

Priest and chanter have Rez also but it is worse then the Paladins as allies need to be healed ASAP, while a Paladins Rez gives immediate full endurance and loses Endurance after a certain period. No risk of re knock out when you get back up.

I’d take instead Liberating Exhortation, it clears debuffs which reduce your ACC which will kill your DPS. Priests have AOE debuff suspension but it’s a small Aoe with a short duration even with high INT, the Paladins is single target but lasts for 20 sec with 10 INT.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Depends on enemies corrode/burn DR. Both are ok. Goldpact Knights have the advantage that their dispositions are not as "extreme".

Penetrating Shot for an arquebus is kind of wasted. It only gives you +5 damage and DR bypass does nothing for your lashes (FoD/Intense Flames/lash on weapon).

Quick Switch can be substituted with the Coil of Resourcefulness to free up another talent point. Just an option though. Quick Switch is a bit faster and they also stack (for super quick switching).

What about Arms Bearer? You could add a third arquebus and pick Runner's Wounding Shot. It's as good as an FoD shot against 0 DR but better against high DR foes. It's only 1/encounter but usually enough to melt one squishy.

Critical Focus is crap. :)

Edit: If you really want to use a single weapon and use a Bleak Walker then I'd suggest Bittercut and also take Spirit of Decay. It will add +20% damage to your physical damage as well as the Rhakan-Field lash.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thanks for the input. If Bittercut is used is another weapon focus talent needed or is it not due to the already gained accuracy for being one handed?

Honestly, I usually play a Super Quick Switch Paladin (stack the belt and quick switch) and I never take a weapon focus. With Sworn Enemy and the + 20 ACC to FoD , plus the +1 ACC FoD gets every level it’s more then enough. If you have debuffs on the target even more so.

To qualify the above statement I will you that I always play PoTD so the enemies have heightened defenses and I still hit easily with no weapon focus and a 10 Per. If you are a wood elf Paladin it’s even better,you have +5 to every shot more than 4m away so it’s like having an extra + 5 PER. But that being said even without a Wood Elf you are good. It’s more then enough.

PS I play a Super Quick switch Paladin because I don’t play with recovery bars visible and if I have not seen when I last attacked i can’t estimate when I am going to do an ability again. So I Quick switch if I need to lay on hands or give an Exhortation as with quick switch and the belt it’s almost instantaneous no matter where you are in the recovery. It’s also faster to get back to my marking weapon and Outworn Buckler which is more important. In my case.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.