What do you mean "confirmed"? It is the case in Pillars of Eternity and in the current Deadfire Beta as well. This is like asking if swords are confirmed. ;)

Why would anyone NOT fully customize their entire party?

Because the official companions have a unique backstory, unique questlines, they have relationsships and banter, some of them even have unique subclasses and abilites.

The price for full customisation is that your hirelings have none of that. But hey: you can give them a custom portrait and name. :)

Yeah I kind of wish in the first game there was set paths for all levelling up and that for each NPC so I could just let them do their own thing. 

BG2 would be a worse game if you could just let Anomen be a bard, or Edwin could be a fighter. 

nowt

A picture says more than a thousand words:

You can thank me later.

Edit: apparently it won't render. Spent 15 minutes trying to make a a pun of someone getting kicked in the side to no avail ;(

Edited by Tanos

What do you mean "confirmed"? It is the case in Pillars of Eternity and in the current Deadfire Beta as well. This is like asking if swords are confirmed. ;)

Why would anyone NOT fully customize their entire party?

Because the official companions have a unique backstory, unique questlines, they have relationsships and banter, some of them even have unique subclasses and abilites.

The price for full customisation is that your hirelings have none of that. But hey: you can give them a custom portrait and name. :)

Yeah I kind of wish in the first game there was set paths for all levelling up and that for each NPC so I could just let them do their own thing.

BG2 would be a worse game if you could just let Anomen be a bard, or Edwin could be a fighter.

*facepalm*

I'm done.

Well, it's only 5 weeks until I can stop reading the forums and play the game instead. :p

btw: I think the sidekick idea is quite unique. Seriously hope Pillars 2 is gonna get some cred for including all this stuff no previous IE-like game ever had. And 7 full companions is A LOT, especially since you can only bring 4 at a time.

Honestly curious if they are going to create even more for the DLC, given there is so much already.

• Like 1

Honestly curious if they are going to create even more for the DLC, given there is so much already.

Yearly on, when there was an outcry due to Yidwin now becoming a full companion, there was a mention that it is possible for current sidekick to br turned into a full companion and provide a new sidekick with an expansion. Expanding roster is always welcome, and I doubt they will be creating many companions considering how complex they are supposed to be.

Yearly on, when there was an outcry due to Yidwin now becoming a full companion, there was a mention that it is possible for current sidekick to br turned into a full companion and provide a new sidekick with an expansion. Expanding roster is always welcome, and I doubt they will be creating many companions considering how complex they are supposed to be.

They are so complex and deep and rich and costly to implement, but remember, if you want to experience the multiclassing system to its fullest, just go get some hirelings!

They are so complex and deep and rich and costly to implement, but remember, if you want to experience the multiclassing system to its fullest, just go get some hirelings!

????? If you are trying to make some kind of point you will have to elaborate further. I don’t think I have to point out that companions take a lot of work because of how defined they are.

????? If you are trying to make some kind of point you will have to elaborate further. I don’t think I have to point out that companions take a lot of work because of how defined they are.

I was just expressing some frustration at the current multiclassing limits on companions, nothing personal to you; apologies.

I was just expressing some frustration at the current multiclassing limits on companions, nothing personal to you; apologies.

None offence taken, didn’t take it as anything else than a critique of multiclassing system. I just don’t think contrasting work which goes into companions with their lack of mechanical flexibility to be a worthwhile argument, as work which is put into them goes into defining them, rather than making them as customisable as possible. I wonder what was the big obstacle, that made them simplify the system. Multiclassing screen is already there for PC. Maybe they wanted to make a clear division between lore approved picks and “it’s on you” ones?

Edited by Wormerine

I don't like the idea of a sidekick. They are going to feel like incomplete companions... but that's the point is it not?

It's experimental, very much like other traits of the game. I'm sure many people here will love sidekicks as most are backers know what they are getting while the majority of general buyers/players will be confused and ultimately hate sidekicks.

Mark my words. People are going to hate sidekicks.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I can see it now... one sentence negative reviews on Steam be like:

"Devs too lazy to write stories for companions. Enter sidekeks" and getting a couple thousand helpful votes.

Some people will get salty over it for sure. Unfortunately, it's another door of opportunity for people to criticize.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I'm not.

Mark my words. WE ARE DOOMED!

SonicMage117 has been blessed with the gift of prophecy. Only he can save us all.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Josh said they wanted the difference between sidekicks and full companions to be clear so people didn't get disappointed at their lack of content, so I imagine it'll be telegraphed to the player.

"The name's Fessina, don't try getting too close to me."

• Like 5

I don't like the idea of a sidekick. They are going to feel like incomplete companions... but that's the point is it not?

It's experimental, very much like other traits of the game. I'm sure many people here will love sidekicks as most are backers know what they are getting while the majority of general buyers/players will be confused and ultimately hate sidekicks.

Totally disagree. Again, Baldurs gate is a great example. Minsc was the standout star of the companions and he had very littl added to his character other than exactly what we will get with the sidekicks.

• Like 8

They're optional.  If someone doesn't like them, then they don't have to use them.  

• Like 1

Totally disagree. Again, Baldurs gate is a great example. Minsc was the standout star of the companions and he had very littl added to his character other than exactly what we will get with the sidekicks.

Minsc had a hamster.

Minsc had a hamster.

Maia has a parrot? Granted, that's probably why she's a companion.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I always feel like they had the side kick as a test for some of the minor characters they think has  potential, bud didn't really has enough source to fully develop them.

If players like some of the sidekick, they might become full companion in the DLC or the sequel.