Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Companion/Sidekick Class Options Revealed

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

morhilane

morhilane

Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1126 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You can retake dismissed party members in BG2. They either return to a set location (which they tell you about), or stay on that spot.

The only time you are stuck with the party is Chapter 4/5 (Spellhold/Underdark) and 7 (the final).

Yes I know. I have played BG2 before. Come on, you know what I mean guys.

Your original post made it sound like you were stuck with the same companions the moment the party was filled and couldn't switch them.

Valmy

Valmy

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 953 posts
  • Steam:valmy77
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Your original post made it sound like you were stuck with the same companions the moment the party was filled and couldn't switch them.

I just meant it lacked the post-KOTOR deal where you recruit everybody and they sit around magically leveling up at your base while you adventure.

Edited by Valmy, 07 March 2018 - 08:54 AM.

• daven likes this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5156 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

fofk69.png

I'm splashing this straight up, just for easier reference. :)

EDIT: Hmm, my first party: Aloth (Battlemage), Maia Rua (Geomancer), Pallegina (Herald), and perhaps the sidekick Konstanten (Howler). I wanna try a sidekick out, and also save the lovely companions for later playthrus. I notice, lots of you guys having Konstanten on the list. Dwarves FTW! My main will multi-class as well.

I'm gonna double whammy the **** outta this game!

Heh! I'm quoting myself, just to remind myself what my plan was!

You know, the game got delayed, and this thread is useful, so I hope more peeps enjoy it as much as I do! :)

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5156 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I updated the original image with all the known information about subclasses as per an old post by Josh (thanks Blotter)

ycXcUrS.png

This is also important info that needs to be repeated, I reckon.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 07 May 2018 - 02:20 AM.

• Karkarov likes this

Ondb

Ondb

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Its possible to choose companion abilities? (First time they party?). I mean do the companion join party at level 1 and you have option to manually level up.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4852 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yes.

Baltic

Baltic

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Its possible to choose companion abilities? (First time they party?). I mean do the companion join party at level 1 and you have option to manually level up.

There is an option to choose their abilities from level one in the options menu.

darkelf1000

darkelf1000

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

do you have to have the companions or can you just create 4 other generic people for you party?.....i dont care about aloth etc.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3106 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

do you have to have the companions or can you just create 4 other generic people for you party?.....i dont care about aloth etc.

You can make fully custom characters, just like in Eternity 1.  Just remember, some of the companions and sidekicks may have unique skills/abilities fully custom characters can't get.  Example - Teheku's racial, or Xoti's two subclass options.

StardustBunny

StardustBunny

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts

Once you choose their class, I suppose you can't respec them later and change them to be multi or singleclass again?

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2863 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Once you choose their class, I suppose you can't respec them later and change them to be multi or singleclass again?

The class selection pop up states pretty emphatically that your choice cannot be changed later. If that’s to be believed, then you *can* respec them from level 1, but *cannot* change their single class/multiclass status.
  • Karkarov likes this

Sirrick

Sirrick

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
Oww no sub-classe/multi-class free for companions :( my plans fell through..

What choose between:

Watcher: Beastmaster - DPS - Front
Pallegina: Paladin - Tank supp (heal) - Front
Eder: Swashbuckler - DPS - Front
Tekehu: Chanter - Supp (Buff/Debuff) + invocations - Back
Serafen: Cipher - CC - Back

OR

Watcher: Beastmaster - DPS - Front
Pallegina: Paladin - Tank supp (heal) - Front
Serafen: Witch - DPS/CC - Front
Tekehu: Chanter - Supp (Buff/Debuff) + invocations - Back
Aloth: Wizard - DPS - Back

I hesitate for Pallegina: Herald with only buff and Tekehu only debuff + invocations (need lvl 9 so no multiclass)

Michael_Galt

Michael_Galt

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

What I find interesting are those companions which can effectively dual class.  That is pretty interesting, in that it suggests there are some points in the story and/or their relationship with the Watcher that they decide to follow an entirely different life path.  This definitely gives way more versatility. 

I am planning on playing as either a cipher/ranger or chanter/ranger (still haven't decided yet- am awaiting some advice in the builds section, or will just have to do some experimenting tomorrow ;).  Now that I know the companion subclasses, I think it will go something like this:

Watcher (cipher/ranger or chanter/ranger- I will most likely go cipher/ranger now, since it will be quite easy to get a pure or multiclass chanter in the party)

Maia Rua (ranger/rogue)

Aloth (wizard)

Pallegina (chanter/paladin)

Tekehu/Xoti (single class, initial class, depending on how they rub off on me/how useful they are)

Between my 2 rangers, I should be well-enough covered with the stealth and mechanics aspects, and will automatically have two really good snipers plus their 2 animal companions.  I make my Watcher a Beguiler/Ghostheart or Beguiler/Sharpshooter and he can pin down the enemy while Maia goes in and uses our 2 animal companions plus Pallegina to deliver endless flanking and sneak attacks. Plus, that makes Maia the scout, while I probably focus my Watcher more heavily on mechanics to disarm the traps which Maia finds.  Given Maia has a bird, that makes more sense anyway. 

Aloth stays a wizard, because I want the maximum magical firepower possible.  Pallegina will become a chanter/paladin so she can have all the party buffs, and then deliver the appropriate chanter attacks in the front lines (whether that is to  incapacitate the enemy, finish them off, or bring in summons as reinforcements as necessary).

Just got to figure out the Tekehu vs Xoti bit.  I really wanted a priest of Eothas in the party... but having a druid from the islands who can help us not die on the seas... also pretty important.  And I've heard that priests have been nerfed a bit, and don't want a monk/priest... so maybe it will be the druid.

Edited by Michael_Galt, 07 May 2018 - 07:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users