Companion/Sidekick Class Options Revealed

I'm liking the dualclass options for the sidekicks, mindstalker for Ydwin is especially cool. I hope the default choices for the companions are the ones that suit them most e.g. Aloth as wizard only but Xoti as priest/monk.

am knowing this is an extreme nerdling reference, but whenever we see "mindstalker" we can't help but think o' an old ad&d 2e kit: the caradhaker (dwarvish for mindstalker.)

http://paizo.com/products/btpy72z2?Dragon-Issue-245

caradhakers adopted githzerai illithid hunting techniques. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I, on the other hand, am a huge fan of it, because I can choose characters based on whether I like their personality or not rather than whether they fit into my party mechanically.

Well then I am glad you are getting what you want. But I am glad they are at least limiting it a bit to conform to their vision of their characters.

Edited by Valmy

So it's getting to make your mind up time I guess. Wow this is great info! I'm leaning towardss this at the moment, be great if someone could point out my idiocy if I got any my assumptionds wrong:

Me: Straight Druid. Mainly for the killer returning storm. From what I've seen on beta play this is a canine's gonads type spell. Plus some heealing and buffing.

Eder: Swashbuckler. I need someone to open the damn locks as well as handsomely slit throats.

Palegina: Heraki. Uber tank with uber buffs and uber summons? Er, yes please!

Aloth: Straight Wizard. Mainly for the killer fireballs. I've seen what they can do maxed out. The thing I'm banking on is that the ability to redirect spell casts is going to be a big thing in Pillars 2. Like adjust a fireball trajectory so it gets the whole lot of them perfectly for a crap ton of damage every time? Er, yes please!

Xoli: Contemplative. No priest? No thanks! A priest that can also kick arse? Er, yes please!.

I'd like a ranger too for the extra dude, but I can't see how to fit Maia in :( 

So it's getting to make your mind up time I guess. Wow this is great info! I'm leaning towardss this at the moment, be great if someone could point out my idiocy if I got any my assumptionds wrong:

Me: Straight Druid. Mainly for the killer returning storm. From what I've seen on beta play this is a canine's gonads type spell. Plus some heealing and buffing.

Eder: Swashbuckler. I need someone to open the damn locks as well as handsomely slit throats.

Palegina: Heraki. Uber tank with uber buffs and uber summons? Er, yes please!

Aloth: Straight Wizard. Mainly for the killer fireballs. I've seen what they can do maxed out. The thing I'm banking on is that the ability to redirect spell casts is going to be a big thing in Pillars 2. Like adjust a fireball trajectory so it gets the whole lot of them perfectly for a crap ton of damage every time? Er, yes please!

Xoli: Contemplative. No priest? No thanks! A priest that can also kick arse? Er, yes please!.

I'd like a ranger too for the extra dude, but I can't see how to fit Maia in :(

Yes I like this composition as well, though for me, I can't consider having a party without Maia Rua... She's just too cool...

So I'm taking her as a scout (ranger / rogue) and dumping eder... 

BG2 was the last of these games where you actually had to pick your permanent party. Now you can use everybody and just cycle them through, which I always do. 

Did you have to? With few exceptions most people could be exchanged AFAIK, but I didn't like doing it. To this day there are NPCs in that game I never had in my party. Not even once. :D

BG2 was the last of these games where you actually had to pick your permanent party. Now you can use everybody and just cycle them through, which I always do. 

Did you have to? With few exceptions most people could be exchanged AFAIK, but I didn't like doing it. To this day there are NPCs in that game I never had in my party. Not even once. :D

Yes. At least once you leave Athkatla you are pretty much stuck with your team.

Yes. At least once you leave Athkatla you are pretty much stuck with your team.

You can retake dismissed party members in BG2. They either return to a set location (which they tell you about), or stay on that spot.

The only time you are stuck with the party is Chapter 4/5 (Spellhold/Underdark) and 7 (the final).

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

You can retake dismissed party members in BG2. They either return to a set location (which they tell you about), or stay on that spot.

The only time you are stuck with the party is Chapter 4/5 (Spellhold/Underdark) and 7 (the final).

Yes I know. I have played BG2 before. Come on, you know what I mean guys.

• Like 1

Yes I know. I have played BG2 before. Come on, you know what I mean guys.

Your original post made it sound like you were stuck with the same companions the moment the party was filled and couldn't switch them.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Your original post made it sound like you were stuck with the same companions the moment the party was filled and couldn't switch them.

I just meant it lacked the post-KOTOR deal where you recruit everybody and they sit around magically leveling up at your base while you adventure.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

fofk69.png

I'm splashing this straight up, just for easier reference. :)

EDIT: Hmm, my first party: Aloth (Battlemage), Maia Rua (Geomancer), Pallegina (Herald), and perhaps the sidekick Konstanten (Howler). I wanna try a sidekick out, and also save the lovely companions for later playthrus. I notice, lots of you guys having Konstanten on the list. Dwarves FTW! My main will multi-class as well.

I'm gonna double whammy the **** outta this game!

Heh! I'm quoting myself, just to remind myself what my plan was!

You know, the game got delayed, and this thread is useful, so I hope more peeps enjoy it as much as I do! :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I updated the original image with all the known information about subclasses as per an old post by Josh (thanks Blotter)

ycXcUrS.png

This is also important info that needs to be repeated, I reckon.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Yes.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Its possible to choose companion abilities? (First time they party?). I mean do the companion join party at level 1 and you have option to manually level up.

There is an option to choose their abilities from level one in the options menu.

do you have to have the companions or can you just create 4 other generic people for you party?.....i dont care about aloth etc.

You can make fully custom characters, just like in Eternity 1.  Just remember, some of the companions and sidekicks may have unique skills/abilities fully custom characters can't get.  Example - Teheku's racial, or Xoti's two subclass options.