Companion/Sidekick Class Options Revealed

Hmmm...

For my first run, I'm probably going:

MC - female wild orlan - White that Wends - either pure stalker or stalker/berserker

Aloth - pure wizard

Eder - fighter/rogue

Xoti - pure priest

Then either:

Serafen - either pure cipher or cipher/barbarian (if I go pure stalker)

OR

Ydwin - pure cipher

It's tempting to hold Serafen back for an all faction companion playthrough (aka maximum backbiting and conflict) and just make the first playthrough #godsquad.

Second playthrough:

MC - male mountain dwarf - Old Valia - pure priest of Wael (with the obvious headcannon he's putting all these directly opposed people together to troll them)

Teheku - pure druid

Palagina - herald

Maia - scout

then either Serafen (barbarian) or Rekke as a brawler

Edited by CottonWolf

So all companions/sidekicks (except one) cannot have subclasses and the one exception must be a subclass.

Not sure if I like this, at least it increases the chance of using a single class char.

All base classes are useful while some sub classes shine when they are combined with something else (e.g. soul blade + melee class, skald + melee class)

If I use single class or multi class for my chars (main char and companions) depends on the final version of the talent tree. What are the top abilities only single classes can get and when do multi classes which ability.

I will definitely use a party with main char + 4 companions. I never played with hirelings in PoE1.

I used an aumaua paladin from the deadfire as main char in PoE1 and I want to continue in PoE2 with him.

Maybe I multi class him, lets wait for the final talent trees.

I will definitely have Eder (likely as swashbuckler) and Aloth (likely pure wizard) in my party.

These chars compete for the other slots: pallagine ( I like to have a party with all old companions, but I am already a paladin), Maia, Takehu and Xoti (If priests are as useful as in PoE1 I almost must take her unless my main char is priest)

It's tough to make these decisions without seeing the full range of character development (and without meeting the new folks), but my present inclination is a core party of a PC Contemplative (Wael/Nalpazca), Pallegina as a Herald (Kind Wayfarer), and Serafen as either a Witch or a full Barbarian (depending on how Ciphers shake out with the incoming balance changes), with a rotating back-line of either single-classed Aloth or Geomancer Maia, and either Druid Tekehu or Priest Xoti. 

I'll have to try out a Herald-Contemplative-Witch front line.  Might be too squishy.  Could switch the PC to pure Priest and Xoti to pure Monk, but I suspect that the Wael abilities' synergy with front-lines combat will provide a greater advantage.  Could also use Gina as a Crusader or pure Pally, perhaps picking up Chanter abilities with Tekehu (Theurge) when I need them. 

Wael/Nalpazca really does seem like the secret best combination RP-wise.

So all companions/sidekicks (except one) cannot have subclasses and the one exception must be a subclass.

No. Most companions have their own unique subclasses they have to be. Eder and Aloth seem to be the exceptions, in that they have to be the base class (and potentially all the Ys in X+Y have to be the base class too). Maia's a gunhawk, Teheku's got a unique subclass for both his base classes, Pallegina's presumably either a Five Suns Palladin or a Kind Wayfarer, Serafen's a wild mind if you make him a cipher (not sure about whether he also has a unique barbarian subclass), Xoti's either a priest of Gaun or a sister of the reaping moon.

I don't think we know about the sidekicks beyond Fessina.

Edited by CottonWolf

Also works well mechanically, based on my (pretty limited) Beta experience.  Nalpazca generate wounds passively when on drugs, which pairs well with a character who opens the fight with buff spells/chemicals, and who has access to the good defensive illusions. 

I would like to see more documentation regarding the "Drug Crash" effect, though. 

Edited by Enoch

I've always considered multiclassing as a fun option which may broaden the possibilities. Deadfire creates even better way to use it by letting us to make our companions different with each run.

For my first and most important playthrough I will be going with:

PC male pale elf - Itinerant (Ranger/Priest (probably Ghost Heart/Priest of Wael))

Edér - Swashbuckler (Fighter/Rogue)

Aloth - pure Wizard

Pallegina - pure Paladin or maybe Herald (Paladin/Chanter) - can't decide yet

Tekēhu - pure Druid or Theurge (Druid/Chanter) also can't decide but I'm more willing to make him a pure Druid

Edited by Nanawatzin

Well, I guess for the main playthrough I'd have something like:

Main char - Wizard

Eder - Fighter (but I would much like to multiclass him as priest of Eothas to became cleric)

Aloth - Spellblade

Pallegina - Paladin (not sure what subclass will be available for my game)

Xoti - pure Priest if it is possible.

Not very interested in others though I'll try Fassina as fury Sorcerer.

I'm not usually one for multiclass but I'm really tempted to multiclass Pallegina to chanter, the funny thing is that I don't know why exactly.

First playthrough will be like this most likely:

MC - Ranger

Edèr - Fighter

Pallegina - Paladin or Herald

Aloth - Wizard

Tekehu - Druid

Edited by Daled

No. Most companions have their own unique subclasses they have to be. Eder and Aloth seem to be the exceptions, in that they have to be the base class (and potentially all the Ys in X+Y have to be the base class too). Maia's a gunhawk, Teheku's got a unique subclass for both his base classes, Pallegina's presumably either a Five Suns Palladin or a Kind Wayfarer, Serafen's a wild mind if you make him a cipher (not sure about whether he also has a unique barbarian subclass), Xoti's either a priest of Gaun or a sister of the reaping moon.

I don't think we know about the sidekicks beyond Fessina.

The game files for the beta suggest that Konstanten is a Skald, Ydwin is base class for both Rogue and Cipher and Rekke is base class Fighter. 

Not sure what combination of companions I'm going to use for my first playthrough. My last Watcher was a Pale Elf Cipher so I might go Psyblade or Inquisitor just so I don't end up with 2 Pale Elf Ciphers/Mindstalkers if I bring Ydwin along.

Xoti being the only Priest seems to make her an auto-include for me and I also like that so many characters have Chanter as a multiclass option. I will definitely have to have Xoti and Eder in the party together at some point just to hear their dialogue (Dyrwoodan Eothasian vs Readceras Eothasian (Gaun)). It could give some interesting perspective to the Saint's War.

There seem to be a lot of combos featuring my least favorite classes: cipher/chanter/monk. Close to half the characters, in fact. I'll probably just single-class those characters. The Fassina combo looks eminently playable though.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

My first run will probably be with Battlemage Aloth, Swashbuckler Eder, Theurge (or pure chanter) Tekeu, and I'll leave the last slot open for rotating characters.

My "perfect/completionist" run will probably be with Herald Pallegina, Geomancer Maia, Contemplative Xoti, and then either Cipher Ydwin or Witch Serafen.

I'll probably try the sidekicks by rotating them in a slot, in the runs that'll come between the first one and the "perfect" one.

All in all I like the class combos they've assigned to the characters, we'll see if I'll keep liking them once I get to play. :p

I expecially love that Pallegina can be a chanter multiclass, it suits her! I mean, she did have a nice singing voice in the first game.

The multiclass system has even gotten me hyped enough to dust off my (digital) copy of Icewind Dale 2 and make a PoE themed party, so far it's been fun and should keep me occupied until Deadfire is out. :)

• Like 1

did a bit o' beta with the following:

pc hearth orlan goldpact knight/priest o' eothas

nature godlike herald with no subclasses (pallegina)

hearth orlan witch with no subclasses (blue monkey)

human priest of eothas (xoti)

wood elf wizard (aloth)

no speed mod as we see it as utter unnecessary.  confirmation bias from those who see as improving deadfire?

*shrug*

on veteran, with a non-optimized party, we were going through lagufaeth a bit like batman does nameless warehouse thugs

empowered fireballs (am being a bit more free with empowers) is kinda keen save for when we roll a 3. damn you nameless gods o' rng! the witch is doing big weapon damage while getting considerable use from psychovampiric shield and whisper o' treason.  we were worried 'bout witch squish, but psycho shield is a nice counter to the deflection penalty from frenzy. the herald tanks better than the 'edér' swashbuckler build we have been using for most recent beta plays.  is a solid party loadout.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This is really interesting. I really like some of the new characters, or the way they look anyway.

1) Eder gets a slot, guaranteed.  As a Fighter, he's supremely useful from a mechanical perspective because of his tanking ability.  The option to go Fighter/Rogue and increase his damage output just sweetens the deal.  I really like Eder's personality.  He frequently offers a bit of banter without turning into a joke character.  I think he's really well-written.  Well, he was in Pillars 1 anyway.

2) Serafen.  Oh my god the portrait for this character looks fricking awesome.  If he's even half as cool as his portrait suggests, he's gonna be awesome.  Edit: changed my mind about classes.  Apparently Barbarians are quite good now?  I guess I'll make him a Barb/Cipher.

3) Xoti is a Priest, so that's an easy pick for me, Priests were excellent in Pillars 1 so I'm hoping they'll be good in Deadfire as well.  Not sure what kind of personality she has but hopefully she'll be interesting, maybe a decent romance option?  Not sure about multiclassing her to Monk... maybe.  I hope her Priest of Gaun subclass doesn't have any brutal penalties.  The Priest subclass penalties are horrendous at the moment.

4) Maia Rua gets a slot just because of her animal companion, that bird is cool as hell.  Hopefully she is less annoying than Kana Rua, I really hated that character's personality.  Having access to Wizard just sweetens the deal, also Geomancer?  Coolest class name ever.

That leaves my main, I'm thinking about going for a Shifter/Rogue.

Shifter looks awesome as hell, if it works like it says it does; which is to say, the description says you get a Spiritshift for each animal type, so you get one Spiritshift for Bear, one for Boar, etc.  And their Spiritshifts last longer.  And they get a heal when they finish.  Holy ****.  Awesome.  And the penalty, being unable to cast while shifted, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Rogue seems like a cool way to boost the Shifter's damage.  And the classes share an emphasis on speed, as in light armor or whatever.

I'm also thinking about Paladin but I'm not too sure about the role-playing that might be involved.  I dislike the emphasis on religion, codes, etc.  I also dislike all of the Paladin sects due to their punitive penalties; every single one of those penalties is horrific.

Fighter also seems like an option but can the fighter select Unarmed Strike, or Animal Attack or whatever the Spiritshifted attack counts as, for their weapon specialization?  If not then I think that's sad.

I'm definitely going to go with a Fire Godlike for my first character, for RP reasons.

Edited by Yosharian

I'm waiting on final build word about single v. multi-class viability (I don't need optimized, just not making life too difficult for myself).

But my first run is likely to be:

Main: Druid (human) imported from PoE 1 first run.

Eder: Fighter or Swashbuckler

Aloth: Wizard

Pallegina: whatever she ended up as (I think Kind Wayfarer)

Xoti: Priest

Wasn't keen on Takehu until landshark was confirmed - but since my main's a druid that'll bump him to:

2nd run:

Main: Rogue (dwarf) (Raider from Deadfire background) imported from PoE1 2nd run.

Serafen: Witch (combo sounds cool)

Takehu: druid (watershaper)

Konstanten: Chanter / Howler (coz us dwarves hav'ta stick together)

Maia Rua: Ranger / Geomancer (leaning to the latter otherwise no wizard spells in party)

3rd run will likely be an orlan main, ranger (subclass pending) or battlemage, swapping companions/sidekicks around more.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Can Takehu still change into a shark if I make him a pure chanter? An can he continue to chant whilst sharking about?

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

According to this:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2018/02/06/pillars-ii-director-interview.aspx?utm_content=buffer4fafa&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer&PostPageIndex=2

He can indeed transform as a Chanter. No idea if he keeps chanting, though I would personally expect that.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The thing that always bothered my about shapeshifters in rpgs is they are almost always associated with spell casters. So, even if they could cast whilst shifted, they where almost always better using spells than ripping things to shreads with natural weapons. So Takehu as a shapeshifting chanter gets my vote!

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

The thing that always bothered my about shapeshifters in rpgs is they are almost always associated with spell casters. So, even if they could cast whilst shifted, they where almost always better using spells than ripping things to shreads with natural weapons. So Takehu as a shapeshifting chanter gets my vote!

Eh, i've never been a huge fan of animal shapeshifters myself.

When it comes to shapeshifters, just give me something like a Chaos Marauder instead of some hippy druid that turns into a teddy bear.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I wonder if companions listed as having no subclasses have access to the subclasses the player can choose from?

I remember in one of the multiclass updates, Xoti's monk subclasses were shown, and all of the player subclasses were listed as well as her unique subclass.

As excited as I was for multiclassing as a feature, the fact that we can't freely multiclass the companions took some of the wind out of my sails.

I'll probably keep the three returning companions in their original classes, and explore multiclassing with the new companions.

Edited by CENIC

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.