Companion/Sidekick Class Options Revealed

Hah... In my second wt I wanted to have Devil to be my only rogue in a team, so I waited for her. Till that, Aloth was my "rogue" and I've put a lot of points to the mechanics on him. He was pretty good with that. 

Also I think that...

his past with Leaden Key and his mission in Dyrwood works perfectly as a background for his rogue multiclass

And also...

Aloth said that his father wanted him to become an Arcane Knight - that could work with his fighter mutlicass

As for Pallegina - I like to think that her Chanter part is due to her godlike (Hylea) heritage. ^^'

Still in my game both Aloth and Pallegina will be single classed wizard and paladin.

Still can't decide if I want Tekēhu to became a druid or druid/chanter. :v

Edited by Nanawatzin
  • Like 1

I think Aloth should have Paladin(he did say he was trained as an Arcane Knight and that is the Paladin/Wizard Multi) and would be fine seeing him get alternate combinations based on choices in POE

Wizard/Priest of Woedica for staying with leaden Key, Wizard/Rogue for hunting them down

Everything else seems fine.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

well, our prospective party could change based on this info.  pallegina is definite getting win options with crusader and herald, though am admitting our two least favorite poe companions, from a writing pov, were aloth and pallegina.  there is now multiple rogue options to fulfill trap/lock needs and maia could replace or supplement aloth as a mage in a prospective party. tekehu is no longer our only chanter option.  xoti remains essential for any possible Gromnir party. we were considering a pc votary, crusader, contemplative or templar. 

Gromnir as an orlan templar (curious combo of goldpact knight and priest of eothas)

maia as a geomancer

xoti as contemplative

last two?

pallegina as herald

or

tekehu as theurge (the theurge in our beta runs has been surprising effective.)

and

aloth as spellblade

or

edér as a swashbuckler

or 

serafen as a witch

edér interactions with an orlan protagonist should be fun, but aloth as a spellblade stressing the spell half might fit our party better.  a deadfire beta witch is an effective combatant and am gonna do a few runs with a hearth orlan witch to see how it fits with our group.

is subject to change based on subclass options and actual playing the game.  am more interested in intriguing characters than effective killers, but am not gonna ignore party synergies neither.

one priest. given how useful priests is, am still a bit surprised there is but a single priest option. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I tend to ignore multiclassing, here's my WIP list:

• Aloth - wizard
  • Eder - fighter
  • Maia Rua - ranger
  • Pallegina - paladin
  • Serafen - cipher
  • Tekehu - druid at first, later a pommel to the face I suppose
  • Xoti - priest
  • Fassina - loremaster, 'cause there's no chanter on my list
  • Konstanten - barbarian, 'cause Karaz-a-Karak!!!
  • Rekke - brawler, this could actually make sense for him, even tho I diss monks
  • Ydwin - mindstalker, 'cause there already is a cipher (Serafen) and a rogue (me)
  • Like 2

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Since my MC is gonna be pure Priest, the rest of the folks will probably look like this:

Aloth - Wizard

Eder - Fighter

Maia - Ranger

Pallegina - Paladin

Serafen - Cipher

Tekehu - Probably a Druid (because Landshark)

Xoti - Monk

For the sidekicks, i don't really see myself using them. Most of them seem kinda redundant and since they're not going to be as fleshed out as the companions, i don't see much point in draggin' them along.

Except maybe Konstanten as a Chanter, since there aren't any in my Companions (unless i decide that Tekehu should be a singing Landshark)

• Like 1

I also plan to skip multiclassing, at least for a first run (polish thing?). I am tempted by Pallegina as Herald and Serafen as witch, though.

Me too, I wanna see those highest level spells and abilities. It's good that many companions now have another class option. Can tweak them according to my character's class so that they're all different and have a place in the party. 

Same, especially as most of these multiclass combinations are martial/magic which are gimped at the moment.

My biggest takeaway from that list: Pallegina took up singing lessons. I don't know why, but I specifically thing of her character as being a bad singer. There's no lore to support this other than my head-canon.

• Like 2

Same, especially as most of these multiclass combinations are martial/magic which are gimped at the moment.

My biggest takeaway from that list: Pallegina took up singing lessons. I don't know why, but I specifically thing of her character as being a bad singer. There's no lore to support this other than my head-canon.

I'm pretty sure in the first game Pallegina does sing during a conversation with Kana Rua. Here's it in a video, at around 16:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAA8xhz408I&t=9s

Didn't sound THAT bad to be honest.

Still prefer Grieving Mother's jingle jangles.

Edited by Juodas Varnas
  • Like 1

fofk69.png

I'm splashing this straight up, just for easier reference. :)

EDIT: Hmm, my first party: Aloth (Battlemage), Maia Rua (Geomancer), Pallegina (Herald), and perhaps the sidekick Konstanten (Howler). I wanna try a sidekick out, and also save the lovely companions for later playthrus. I notice, lots of you guys having Konstanten on the list. Dwarves FTW! My main will multi-class as well.

I'm gonna double whammy the **** outta this game!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Edér and Aloth are staying monoclassed for me, but I'm very happy about the rest of the crew: a lot of interesting choices!

I still think there is some lack of equilibrium between the classes: three of them are only represented by one companion (Maia is the only option for a Ranger, Xoti for Priest and Pallegina for Paladin), while other classes can be found in multiple combinations (like five possible full or half Fighters, four Chanters, three Barbarians and so on).

I find it weird that Josh wrote that no one picked priest as their main class, and still there is only one choice for it.

I consider Priest and/or Paladin to be essential in the team, especially on PotD, so it's strange to see them underrepresented among the companions/sidekicks. Maybe Deadfire will be completely different in this regard, but it wouldn't hurt to have a couple more. The obvious choice would be Edér as a possible Fighter/Priest (which would also make sense considering one of the possible endings).

Just a side note: did they change the name of Fessina to Fassina, or did Josh spell it wrong?

Way better this way for us italians, despite the fact that now she has the same name of a famous politician in our country.

Well, I guess it's still better than the previous meaning of "little p*ssy"!  :teehee:

Edited by SkySlam
  • Like 1

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

The thing is I can't decide between Xoti & Tekehu...

The more I learned about Tekehu, I started to like him more & more.

For now Xoti is my go to, she'll be my thief.

[Heavy investments on Sneak, Mechanics & Sleight of Hands]

Edited by DexGames

Ok I'm tossing my lineup in for funs sake :p
This is how I feel right now:

Aloth - wizard

Eder - faeetah

Maia - ranger or scout

Pallegina - paladin

Serafen - witch

Takehu - druid or theurge

Xoti - priest

Fassina - conjurer or lormastah

Constanten - chantah or howlah

Rekke - brawlah

Ydwin - maeendstalkah

Aloth - wizard

Eder - faeetah

Maia - ranger or scout

Pallegina - paladin

Serafen - witch

Xoti - priest

Rekke - brawlah

Ydwin - maeendstalkah

Surely You meant conjurah?

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Aloth - wizard

Eder - faeetah

Maia - ranger or scout

Pallegina - paladin

Serafen - witch

Xoti - priest

Rekke - brawlah

Ydwin - maeendstalkah

Surely You meant conjurah?

My mistake, but basically I meant conjoorah!

• Like 2

So... This means that only fassina can have a subclass while all the others npcs are bound to the main class?

No. 

While Eder and Aloth don't use any subclasses, that's not the case for the rest of the main companions. Per an older post from Sawyer's Tumblr, Pallegina will either be a Kind Wayfarer or a member of the Frermàs mes Canc Suolias, Maia has a unique ranger subclass (Gunhawk), Serafen has access to a unique cipher subclass (Wild Mind), Xoti can be a priestess of Gaun and/or a Sister of the Reaping Moon monk, and Tekehu can be a unique subclass of chanter (Storm Speaker) and/or druid (Watershaper). Sawyer also said that two of the sidekicks have subclasses, but he doesn't go into detail and I don't recall whether this post was before or after they discarded Radora and Bonteru in favor of Fassina and Konstantin. If it was before, then the bit about sidekick subclasses could apply to sidekicks who no longer exist.

• Like 1