Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part 2

and even more Pets

Wait, there's a toggle for helmet and cloaks? Thank goodness! I had to turn off the visuals of some in PoE1 with the console because I didn't like how they looked on the characters, an in-built toggle is very much welcome. :)

Super Pets

Eder class

The under-powered POE 1 druid spirit shift ? :banghead: If by underpowered they mean does more per hit damage than just about every other class once its all built up then ye.

I didn't find it underpowered at all in terms of damage, not with cat form anyway, far from it

They were definitely not tanky though

• Like 1

Super Pets

Eder class

The under-powered POE 1 druid spirit shift ? :banghead: If by underpowered they mean does more per hit damage than just about every other class once its all built up then ye.

I didn't find it underpowered at all in terms of damage, not with cat form anyway, far from it

The cat/Stelgaer form was extremely overpowered, especially on a class that also had decent aoe, summoning, and support spells.  I'm not sure why it was never nerfed.

Edited by bonarbill

This https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/172139237541/how-are-priestdruid-wizarddruid-multiclasses doesn't sound good. Tell me if I understand wrong but Josh implies that multiclassing two casters can lead to a bad build (what Pillars is specifically designed to avoid)?

*Can* lead to a sub-optimal build. “No bad builds” means you can finish the game without getting “trapped”.
  • Like 3

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

This https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/172139237541/how-are-priestdruid-wizarddruid-multiclasses doesn't sound good. Tell me if I understand wrong but Josh implies that multiclassing two casters can lead to a bad build (what Pillars is specifically designed to avoid)?

He's just saying it's easier to step on your own toes if you multi-class, say, a Wizard and Druid and pick spells doing the same thing. In that case, you may as well be doing a single class. But, if you are picking complementary spells you'll potentially be doing very well, from a min/maxing point of view. That's probably true of almost any multi-class though, just more so with wizards because you are only picking spells, not really passives.

• Like 3

This https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/172139237541/how-are-priestdruid-wizarddruid-multiclasses doesn't sound good. Tell me if I understand wrong but Josh implies that multiclassing two casters can lead to a bad build (what Pillars is specifically designed to avoid)?

He's just saying it's easier to step on your own toes if you multi-class, say, a Wizard and Druid and pick spells doing the same thing. In that case, you may as well be doing a single class. But, if you are picking complementary spells you'll potentially be doing very well, from a min/maxing point of view. That's probably true of almost any multi-class though, just more so with wizards because you are only picking spells, not really passives.

But Wizards have grimoires, so they're not necessarily so limited by spell selection on level up.

Multiclass does get more total spells, though it's only 1 or 2 iirc. Since most spells with faster casting times are clustered at lower levels and multiclass gets twice as many lower-level spells (because of the 2 spells / level limit) it could be a significant advantage for fights of medium length.... 

Here's Josh, saying pretty much the same thing in a tweet thread

Since some annoying troll got the actual thread closed, here is Katrina new announcement . off to blizazrd wow.

Not so far away :)

5XkVCu0.png

keep in mind you are looking at socal, so is gonna be a ~45 minute commute just from obsidian to blizzard during peak traffic hours.  

only slight hyperbolic.

as to might reversion, am having same concerns as we stated earlier.  sure, a great many beta folks love the change back to might, but the beta folks is the same kinda wacky as were the iwd ranged weapon mob, iwd2 kit folks, and the bg2 weapon mastery complainers.  the change from might to strength were done 'cause resolve were a dump attribute for many poe and deadfire builds.  the reason why the vast majority o' folks (not all) complained o' the change from might to strength were transparent: beloved builds became relative weaker w/o an obvious dump attribute. it were complained how ciphers became suck 'cause o' the might-to-strength change? nothing mechanical 'bout the cipher changed by altering might, but the change did make an additional attribute genuine important to ciphers.  the goal o' changing might to strength were to exorcise an obvious dump attribute, so cipher player complaints were kinda ridiculous.  the fact ciphers didn't have an additional dump attribute following the change to might were the goal o' the change as 'posed to evidence o' a problem.  

'course there is wacky strength builds resulting from strength.  pure casters is no less silly when depending 'pon strength as they were when might were perceived as essential.  drop strength to basement and raise constitution for a big boost in health while avoiding a fort save penalty is strategic sound and resulting in curious builds.  similar, is a few tank+caster builds which benefit disproportionate from resolve affecting spell damage, heal bonuses and deflection.  the change to strength clear does not remove a dump attribute from all builds. 

nevertheless, overall, there is fewer deadfire builds which benefit from dumping strength and/or resolve than were the case o' non tanks almost uniform dumping resolve before the change.  all one needs do is look at the build section o' the poe board to see how common were resolve dumping in the old might system.  worse, given multiclassing o' deadfire, multiclass builds which rely 'pon doing weapon damage is current disproportionate strong.  even with strength as 'posed to might, paladin/______, assassin/_______, berserker/_______, is disproportionate powerful 'cause o' weapon damage.  change back to might means those multiclasses will be able to multi with casters to do even more spell damage and healing; make the already op builds even more powerful?  heck, before the change to strength, we were getting more than a few laughs from sceptre wielding helwalker/caster builds who were able to spend much o' combat with +35 might while staying at ranged distances.  change back to might makes a few o' those helwalker builds stoopid powerful, particularly when using empowered spells bolstered by eye popping might scores. 

strength were not a perfect fix to the problem o' resolve dumping, but it did reduce the number o' exploitive builds.  the change to strength were working and the fact it were working could almost be quantified by the volume o' the predictable howls from the disturbing consistent beta folks. iwd ranged weapons. iwd2 kits. bg2 mastery/grandmastery. a nerf or balance change which fails to enrage the fans is likely pointless.  point to consensus opposition o' fandom in such cases is a near infallible barometer o' appropriateness o' change. 

so now there is a return to might?  what has changed since we got the strength change? the reasons for changing might to strength appear to be no less meaningful now than a few months ago.  in point o' fact, given how op the current strength focused weapon builds is playing in the beta, am thinking the argument for strength as 'posed to might has actual been bolstered.  we got an explanation from obsidian as to why they switched from might to strength, but we ain't yet heard reasoning for the reversion.  am thinking we need hear the reasoning.  no doubt the developers have reasons, but am hopeful this ain't one o' those situations when the developers simple caved to perceived fan desire.  a few o' poe worst design decisions were made to appease the mob.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

More God-like head types coming. Not a huge surprise, but it's nice to have confirmation.

It's good news, but I kinda expect the same Variety of heads for Godlikes in Deadfire, to be similar as Pillars. [Like 2 or 3]

Because, as he said, they're hard to make & Dimitri didn't start to do them until the end of Production, which... Is Now. 

:ermm:

But my hopes are at least for something like 5+ for each Godlike Races. That'd be cool.

[i'd love more, of course, the more the better. But sayin 10+ for each, sounds quite unrealistic, and I'm even skeptical about 5+ at this point. So...]

*Finger Crossed*

EDIT : Cool Godlike Heads are gonna be the main factor as if I'm gonna play one or not !

Variety & Coolness has to be worth the "No Headgear" Dimitri ! Do you Hear me ?!!!  :lol:

Edited by DexGames

Josh seems to be helpless with his system. "There can be a bad build if Players take twice bad abilities I can do nothing against that"...

I m sorry but a good way to create no bad build is to "open the door" with stacking rules and play with a thing called Power Level.

Stacking rules in POE1 was the thing I dislike the most.

Like the feel in Dark Souls 2 when you realize there is no fun to play Magic because nothing stack with spells. (Except Unleashed magic with a big malus and 3 slots... That is < to take an anoth crystal soul spear for example : p).

Perhaps the worst decision of Pillars 1. Nobody understand why weapons stack (Might +1 + Might +1) and not the rest. Why 6 priest can stack 60 accuracy with one spell, but others no.

Edited by theBalthazar

This https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/172139237541/how-are-priestdruid-wizarddruid-multiclasses doesn't sound good. Tell me if I understand wrong but Josh implies that multiclassing two casters can lead to a bad build (what Pillars is specifically designed to avoid)?

”I have a wizard fire spell and a druid fire spell and they both suck more than if I just had one”
  • Like 1

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

”I have a wizard fire spell and a druid fire spell and they both suck more than if I just had one”

Actually it is: "I have a wizard fire spell and a druid fire spell and now they sucks unless fighting creatures weak to fire".

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Josh seems to be helpless with his system. "There can be a bad build if Players take twice bad abilities I can do nothing against that"...

I m sorry but a good way to create no bad build is to "open the door" with stacking rules and play with a thing called Power Level.

Like the feel in Dark Souls 2 when you realize there is no fun to play Magic because nothing stack with spells. (Except Unleashed magic with a big malus and 3 slots... That is < to take an anoth crystal soul spear for example : p).

Perhaps the worst decision of Pillars 1. Nobody understand why weapons stack (Might +1 + Might +1) and not the rest. Why 6 priest can stack 60 accuracy with one spell, but others no.

Drama much?

All he’s saying is that multiclassing opens the door to allowing people to do stupid things. Doesn’t mean the system is broken.

• Like 6

I think it's also "I only picked fire spells so I have lots of low and mid level fire spells but if I'd been a straight mage at this level I could have had higher end fire spells as well."

• Like 4

Drama much?

All he’s saying is that multiclassing opens the door to allowing people to do stupid things. Doesn’t mean the system is broken.

You cannot accuse someone that plays a new game for the first time that they are stupid. It's design fault not the player's.

Edited by Sedrefilos

Actually it is: "I have a wizard fire spell and a druid fire spell and now they sucks unless fighting creatures weak to fire".

No.

Which is better: two fireball spells, each of which can be sorta empowered or one fireball spell that you can empower to the hilt?

“The former is sub-optimal, but hey it’s your game.” That’s all he’s saying

Drama much?

You cannot accuse someone that plays a new game for the first time that hey are stupid. It's design fault not the player's.
So “don’t give backers, who knew what they were signing up for, what they want because ‘casuals’”?

I’m pretty sure everyone here has re-rolled a character at least once because they learned something new about the mechanics of whatever game they were playing at the time.

We can’t expect them to cater to the lowest common denominator *and* make a challenging game

• Like 2

Drama much?

You cannot accuse someone that plays a new game for the first time that hey are stupid. It's design fault not the player's.
So “don’t give backers, who knew what they were signing up for, what they want because ‘casuals’”?

I’m pretty sure everyone here has re-rolled a character at least once because they learned something new about the mechanics of whatever game they were playing at the time.

We can’t expect them to cater to the lowest common denominator *and* make a challenging game

True, though no bad builds was Pillars (and Deadfire's - remember how Josh mocked, rightfully so, DnD multiclassing in the update) flag. As Josh says it, this sounds like less than an "viable" combo. I'm experienced in these kinds of games so I know what to avoid but I can't say that for everyone (just look at some let's plays). I thought, though, that a mage/druid hybrid could be a good one - not apparently. Anyway, hope I won't stumble upon any weird combo with my character.

PS. I never reroll characters, as I'm too lazy to replay even the tutorial of a game :p

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1

As far as builds go, at least we are getting an expansion where there is an opportunity to correct any glaring pot holes in the game's mechanics.

I'm of the mind that new-comers will be so enthralled by all the customization that they won't be too badly hurt by a sub-optimal build, unless they hit the hardest modes. In which case they might blame that instead.

• Like 4

Drama much?

True, though no bad builds was Pillars (and Deadfire's - remember how Josh mocked, rightfully so, DnD multiclassing in the update) flag. As Josh says it, this sounds like less than an "viable" combo. I'm experienced in these kinds of games so I know what to avoid but I can't say that for everyone (just look at some let's plays). I thought, though, that a mage/druid hybrid could be a good one - not apparently. Anyway, hope I won't stumble upon any weird combo with my character.

PS. I never reroll characters, as I'm too lazy to replay even the tutorial of a game :p

I addressed “no bad builds” above, so I won’t do so again here (because that would boring). I think it’s important to remember that there are 50+ subclasses...he’s telling us that 2 of them might not be the smartest choice you can make (not that you can’t finish game with them, etc. only that you might be wishing you made other decisions at level 20)