Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part 2

Tangential to the thread, but not worth the drama of starting a thread for this alone: In former-Obsidianite non-teaser tweet news, the Deadfire delay prompted a rare acknowledgement from Avellone that Pillars exists:

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/973649067325628417

Further down in the thread, he says that he's "wait and see" on buying Deadfire, unless Carrie Patel (whose novels he liked) had a primary role in writing the story.

Still bitter that Fenstermaker’s pitch won, eh? Kinda sad :(

Wait... what's the issue here? Have I missed something?

Each writer had to pitch their narrative to the owners. Winner got to be narrative lead for Pillars 1. Eric won, Chris lost.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Tangential to the thread, but not worth the drama of starting a thread for this alone: In former-Obsidianite non-teaser tweet news, the Deadfire delay prompted a rare acknowledgement from Avellone that Pillars exists:

Further down in the thread, he says that he's "wait and see" on buying Deadfire, unless Carrie Patel (whose novels he liked) had a primary role in writing the story.

Each writer had to pitch their narrative to the owners. Winner got to be narrative lead for Pillars 1. Eric won, Chris lost.

Sad that the great MCA lost? Personally I really loved Eric's writing. Some of the most refreshing stuff I've seen in the industry. I'm glad the lead narrative. I don't think it's a knock against MCA that someone else is also talented.

It was my impression that Josh and Carrie were sort of splitting the narrative writing, with Carrie being the lead as Josh also has a character and then the mechanics and project lead. Of course Eric is back writing Eder. Carrie is probably sticking to Aloth and Josh Pallegina.

I'm curious who is writing which new companion. Do we know yet?

Sad that the great MCA lost? Personally I really loved Eric's writing. Some of the most refreshing stuff I've seen in the industry. I'm glad the lead narrative. I don't think it's a knock against MCA that someone else is also talented.

It was my impression that Josh and Carrie were sort of splitting the narrative writing, with Carrie being the lead as Josh also has a character and then the mechanics and project lead. Of course Eric is back writing Eder. Carrie is probably sticking to Aloth and Josh Pallegina.

I think Megan Starks was writing Xoti. The wiki also credits both Maia Rua and Tekehu to Paul Kirsch.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I think Megan Starks was writing Xoti. The wiki also credits both Maia Rua and Tekehu to Paul Kirsch.

Kate Dollarhyde is also a writer for the game. Maybe she's got Serafen? And then there's the sidekicks too of course.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Yeah, until they see you spell your name. Than they get all excited, and learn the way they call you is not exactly accurate, and so they try to be accurate and its embarassing for everyone involved;-).

So how do you pronounce it?

Przemysław

And you?

---

We're all doomed

Sounds like Christof to me, but I spent ages trying to pronounce cześć correctly and being told I was doing it wrong so I'm guessing there are certain sounds in Polish (and probably Slavic languages) that I am not tuned to hear or pronounce.

I can hear the difference, but I wouldn't be able to pronounce it.

---

We're all doomed

It depends on your position and playstyle. If you want to stay in the front line and smack stuf without flinching you should put on heavy armor, regardless of your class.

Light armor is for characters who can handle it. Maybe they are operating from range und thus don't get hit that often or they are so mobile that they can avoid getting hit in melee too much.

Actually light armor is good for nobody. Better to wear nothing than light amor. The damage you receive will be roughly the same...

I tend to put everyone in plate and brigandine to stay safe. Curious, have you guys found viable classes/builds where you can play naked and be effective? I’d like to try it but I’m not creative enough to know what works.

It depends on your position and playstyle. If you want to stay in the front line and smack stuf without flinching you should put on heavy armor, regardless of your class.

Light armor is for characters who can handle it. Maybe they are operating from range und thus don't get hit that often or they are so mobile that they can avoid getting hit in melee too much.

Actually light armor is good for nobody. Better to wear nothing than light amor. The damage you receive will be roughly the same...

I tend to put everyone in plate and brigandine to stay safe. Curious, have you guys found viable classes/builds where you can play naked and be effective? I’d like to try it but I’m not creative enough to know what works.

Light or no armour makes you attack faster, by reducing the time between actions, right? But this does not work for firearms, because they have reload times and casters have casttime, is that affected by armour as well?

From what I see it is indeed either go full armour or no armour, because of how the penetration stat works. Casters and Ranged would go unarmoured to maximise their output and amrour would not reduce damage by high enough amount to justify, while the tank would go full-plate naturally because it reduces all kinds of damage.

Rogues and Ciphers as well as Rangers and maybe Barbarians are in an odd space. Classes that are fully capable of dealing damage in melee, or where you would want them to take a pounding at times. They would suffer unless they really carefully balance how recovery and damage reduction scale with medium armour.

my buddy had a naked party when he played

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Sawyer says that he has found a use for Medium and Light armors on Veteran difficulty.

If a character has a certain amount of damage mitigating/avoiding abilities, say for example the Rogue's Escape ability allows him to escape from engagement when he is surrounded, meaning that one or two times a fight he can avoid a situation where he will take damage, compared to other classes which may not be able to escape engagement or may take damage doing so.

So in this case the Rogue can afford to take a bit more damage than say a wizard but less than a Fighter in full plate.

Where I don't quite get it is how light armor is more appropriate for this Rogue than wearing clothing.

As soon as your AR is way below enemies' PEN (and they overpenetrate) you better go without recovery penalty than having a bit AR which has no effect and suffering penalty. Medium armor may be too weak to prevent 100% damage in some cases, but if it prevents overpenetration it still has some value.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

As soon as your AR is way below enemies' PEN (and they overpenetrate) you better go without recovery penalty than having a bit AR which has no effect and suffering penalty. Medium armor may be too weak to prevent 100% damage in some cases, but if it prevents overpenetration it still has some value.

Right so Medium still has some value compared to Heavy (may not prevent penetration but might still prevent overpenetration) whereas Light doesn't seem to have a use, if you go Clothing you're definitely gonna get overpenetrated but you have no recovery penalty, if you go Light... you're definitely gonna get overpenetrated, and you have a penalty now.

Or maybe Light still prevents overpenetration in some cases?

It just seems so random and speculative.

I put my people in a variety of armor, even though it's suboptimal, because I like variety. I am wildly not a fan of Pillars' "full plate or go naked" tendency.

Yeah me to. RP over logic all the way for me.

Besides I enjoy a challenge.

• Like 2

I actually posted a question about this a long while ago on Josh's tumblr. I understand that the system as it is now makes choosing your weapon much easier, but it makes armor almost impossible to balance in an enjoyable way. Even if they make it so that overall every armor is relatively balanced, certain armor will be entirely useless (detrimental, even) in certain fights. It leads to the feeling that the player is punished for not changing their armor every fight, and not already knowing what they will be up against.

I think a good answer to this problem is to make every point matter. I would love to see a system like: 20% damage lost for every point below enemy AR, up to a maximum loss of 80%, and then maybe 5% damage gain for every point above (The numbers could be anything really). This brings back the mushy problem though.

What do you guys think a solid solution might entail? Do you even agree that a solution is needed?

I thought about a system like in PoE where every armor has a flat DR reduction - but additionally it would also have an percentage based damage reduction after that.

So for example a plate armor could have 10 flat DR and everything that goes past this will be reduced by 50% (I just made up some numbers). Leather armor could have 6 and 30% and so on. A MIN damage value should still go through like in PoE. That way the problem goes away that high damage values render armor quite useless while it's still simple enough. Every point/percentage of DR would actually do something.

I would also make sure that certain armors are really good against certain damage types - regardless of their general "heavyness". So for example padded armor would be better against freeze damage than plate.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods