Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part 2

It depends on your position and playstyle. If you want to stay in the front line and smack stuf without flinching you should put on heavy armor, regardless of your class.

Light armor is for characters who can handle it. Maybe they are operating from range und thus don't get hit that often or they are so mobile that they can avoid getting hit in melee too much.

Actually light armor is good for nobody. Better to wear nothing than light amor. The damage you receive will be roughly the same...

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Please school me here, if the medium and heavy armors are so superior, even for the the classes traditionally not wearing heavy stuff (ie rogue, wizard, etc), why should I chose light armor for my rogue?

For higher damage? I feel like what Josh trying to say is you don't wear light armor and complain about "not tank enough", because light armor wasn't suppose to be tanky. You get higher DPS but dies more quickly.

OMG, I don't want to think what kind of telemetry data I sent back to Obsidian.

I had entire party wiped just to check stuff about enemies and AI.

I used the cleric as a offtank while in leather with the staff/greatsword because why not.

I used the monk without weapons, because someone covered in gold (goldpack multiclass) that punch things in the face is hilarious.

• Like 8

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Please school me here, if the medium and heavy armors are so superior, even for the the classes traditionally not wearing heavy stuff (ie rogue, wizard, etc), why should I chose light armor for my rogue?

For higher damage? I feel like what Josh trying to say is you don't wear light armor and complain about "not tank enough", because light armor wasn't suppose to be tanky. You get higher DPS but dies more quickly.

How does the light armor output more damage exactly?

It depends on your position and playstyle. If you want to stay in the front line and smack stuf without flinching you should put on heavy armor, regardless of your class.

Light armor is for characters who can handle it. Maybe they are operating from range und thus don't get hit that often or they are so mobile that they can avoid getting hit in melee too much.

Actually light armor is good for nobody. Better to wear nothing than light amor. The damage you receive will be roughly the same...

I'm planning to make an archer type of character for my first playthrough and, to me, the Sharpshooter subclass of Ranger seems to be the best fit.

And given what you are saying, I'm thinking that no armor is the way to go then. I think it's a pity that light armors get so little love, cause they are really part of some classes and their concepts (in my opinion).

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Well - the lightest armors actually don't have a recovery penalty - so it would be stupid to not wear them. :)

Especially because there may be other benefits than simply more AR but also enchantments like stats bonuses and so on. I think we will see some cool light armors that have some nice fesatures so it makes total sense to wear them.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

You know, the more I read through these things the more I'm happy about my decision to don't bother. I have really little time for playing nowadays, so I kinda drifted towards the comfy zone of having fun without having a challenge. So this means I will probably set Deadfire on story/easy mode and wear whatever I want, as long as it suits my playstyle. Mediocre light armor that looks cool on my character? OK.

• Like 6

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

How does the light armor output more damage exactly?

Light armour has a smaller action recovery penalty, which means your attacks will be faster. More attacks means more DPS. Basically that's the gist of it, though it really depends on the kind of damage you want to do too - I've seen a couple of builds in the Deadfire beta that placed a lot of emphasis on an initial, single hit burst of damage, and I would reckon recovery speed wouldn't affect the character much in such a case (could be wrong though). But as for an archer for example, it basically means they'll loose more arrows through the fight.

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

regarding languages:

I am from germany and I have no problems with english ( well, unless they make the game in shakespeare english or even older or the character has a strange dialect)

But I had frech for 4 years in school and it was terrible for me. I had the feeling that you speak only half of the letters that you write and the diffucult part is to find out wich ones.

Zemek?

How dare you drop the "P" ;(  

Yeah, you can run into the same problems in English, especially with place names.  Ask anyone from Godmanchester (not me) or Gom'ster as it's known locally.

Just gonna leave this here:

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

You know, the more I read through these things the more I'm happy about my decision to don't bother. I have really little time for playing nowadays, so I kinda drifted towards the comfy zone of having fun without having a challenge. So this means I will probably set Deadfire on story/easy mode and wear whatever I want, as long as it suits my playstyle. Mediocre light armor that looks cool on my character? OK.

Welcome to the bright side of fun: no stress, no fuss, low micromanagement and no fashion haters.

• Like 3

Ask anyone from Godmanchester (not me) or Gom'ster as it's known locally.

Oh yeah, in fact the "London" in "Londonderry" is silent ;)

Welcome to the bright side of fun: no stress, no fuss, low micromanagement and no fashion haters.

It's good to be here.

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

For years I have watched people struggle with my name: Krzysztof. Those "z"s aren't that confusing.

You can always say you're Chris.

Yeah, until they see you spell your name. Than they get all excited, and learn the way they call you is not exactly accurate, and so they try to be accurate and its embarassing for everyone involved;-).

For years I have watched people struggle with my name: Krzysztof. Those "z"s aren't that confusing.

You can always say you're Chris.

Yeah, until they see you spell your name. Than they get all excited, and learn the way they call you is not exactly accurate, and so they try to be accurate and its embarassing for everyone involved;-).

I know I struggled a lot with some Polish names when I first wrote them down. "Krzysztof" I've gotten used to for the sheer amount of times I've spoken online about the likes of Penderecki, Zanussi or Kieslowski for example, but I initially had to always double-check as to whether it was writen "sz" or "zs". "Zdzisław" is one name I don't think I'll *ever* be able to write without double-checking it via Google or something, however. I'll get used to writing "Zbigniew" too, in time...

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

about monks:

Monks could always use weapons other than fists in all games I have ever played.

- I played a monk as main char in BG2. He always had a slingshot in the second weapon slot. Early in the game I had to give him weapons when you needed a magic weapon+x to damage enemies and your fists did not already have x. In ToB there were magic golems who could only be harmed with non magic things, so you had to equip a weapon because your fists were magic. There were also some weapons that had a useful on hit effect.

- In NWN1+2 monks could use several weapons, but they could only use flurry (more attacks per round) with fists, quarterstaffs and kamas (not 100% sure if these are all weapons). Only the sacred fist class gives you a huge penalty when using any weapon. But you could still equip other weapons.

Yes, monks hit harder with their fists than other classes and often (not always) it is best to let them attack with their fist. It is one of the defining features of this class. But they were never limited to fists only and when you faced an enemy that was resistant to your fists, you could always switch to a different weapon.

Do the Monks fist ever gain hit/damage/elemental bonuses?

Acuracy and damage increases as you level up. This is done by a passive talent "trancendent suffering". You do not get elemental damage by default.

But PoE1 had talents and items that could add elemental damage to your attacks. I think it depended on the amount of wounds you had.

Look at the build section of PoE1 and look for the "monksterlasher".

• Like 1

Do the Monks fist ever gain hit/damage/elemental bonuses?

Accuracy/damage (+penetration in Deadfire) are increased via Transcendent Suffering passive(s) which is auto-granted in both games to the Monk class. It act as weapon quality enchantements for fist.

The elemental (and other) bonuses you can gain are applied to all the (melee?) weapon(s) used by the Monk.

The real issue is the lack of enchanted gear that affect unarmed strikes, there is like one item in POE1 and it requires White March part 1.

Edited by morhilane
  • Like 2

Tangential to the thread, but not worth the drama of starting a thread for this alone:  In former-Obsidianite non-teaser tweet news, the Deadfire delay prompted a rare acknowledgement from Avellone that Pillars exists: 

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/973649067325628417

Further down in the thread, he says that he's "wait and see" on buying Deadfire, unless Carrie Patel (whose novels he liked) had a primary role in writing the story.

Tangential to the thread, but not worth the drama of starting a thread for this alone: In former-Obsidianite non-teaser tweet news, the Deadfire delay prompted a rare acknowledgement from Avellone that Pillars exists:

Further down in the thread, he says that he's "wait and see" on buying Deadfire, unless Carrie Patel (whose novels he liked) had a primary role in writing the story.

Still bitter that Fenstermaker’s pitch won, eh? Kinda sad :(
  • Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Tangential to the thread, but not worth the drama of starting a thread for this alone: In former-Obsidianite non-teaser tweet news, the Deadfire delay prompted a rare acknowledgement from Avellone that Pillars exists:

Still bitter that Fenstermaker’s pitch won, eh? Kinda sad :(

Wait... what's the issue here? Have I missed something?

• Like 1

Tangential to the thread, but not worth the drama of starting a thread for this alone:  In former-Obsidianite non-teaser tweet news, the Deadfire delay prompted a rare acknowledgement from Avellone that Pillars exists: 

Going by how she is pretty much the go-to to answer Deadfire narrative/story questions (outside of Josh who as director knows a lot too), I suspect she is the primary writer for the game.