Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part 2

Funny that you say that because the companions you meet outside of the Dyrwood are typically the last companions you meet!

I believe all companions are found in the Dyrwood. None are found in Eir Glanthath, and to the best of my knowledge the White March is part of the Dyrwood.

Please no bullying

Funny that you say that because the companions you meet outside of the Dyrwood are typically the last companions you meet!

I believe all companions are found in the Dyrwood. None are found in Eir Glanthath, and to the best of my knowledge the White March is part of the Dyrwood.

Please no bullying

Huh?

• Like 4

I say this because in my first play through of PoE1, I didn't get GM until I almost finished Act 2, and getting Sagani even later(somehow I didn't see her when I travel across that map).

It was OK in PoE 1 because I don't really miss anything. But based on the relationship system they talked about, I imagine that companions will have more reaction to the main quest  and each other. So if I get a companion after one third of the game, I'm missing part of the content.

I don't need to get all the companions right away, but maybe not put them in a place like Dyrwood, where you normally won't go there until the half into the game.

What I mean is Dyrford, I have a hard time remembering all those names because English is not my first language. 

He meant Dyrford.

Edit: eh, he already said that. Missed some posts, sorry.

Edit2: Bob and Phillip is easy. But try to remember Nizhnevartovsk and Dnjepropetrovsk...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Edit2: Bob and Phillip is easy. But try to remember Nizhnevartovsk and Dnjepropetrovsk...

Tell a citizen of Stargard, that you're in Starogard.

Tell a citizen of Starogard, that you're in Stargard.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Is there a blog or a summary about the changed game mechanics, where someone explains the differences in combat, stats and general mechanics compared to the first game? I am somewhat struggling with the Wiki and some already really deep comments.

Tell a citizen of Stargard, that you're in Starogard.

Tell a citizen of Starogard, that you're in Stargard.

EXPLAAAAAIN!?!
Those are different Polish cities. I guess people from Stargard don't like it if you tell them they are in Starograd. ;)

It's like telling a guy from Düsseldorf that Kölsch tastes better than Altbier...

There's also a German place called Stargard by the way. We also have a lot of places called Neuenkirchen and Neukirchen (both basically meaning "New Church"). Not exactly all Bobs and Phillips here... ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

You know there are languages that didn't use roman letters. Thus I always remember the Dyford village as the D(something)d village. But I think that's enough of this topic.

One of the articles says that being attacked on the sea will cause your crew members be killed, so if I lost too many crew members during the fights, will there be a chance that there won't have any crew members left for me to recruit?

Because as far as I can tell, all the crew members have their own name and portrait, it will be a little strange to find two different crew members sharing the same portrait (and one of them is already dead).  Or maybe you will create them like you create a hireling?

Edited by jf8350143

You know there are languages that didn't use roman letters. Thus I always remember the Dyford village as the D(something)d village. But I think that's enough of this topic.

One of the articles says that being attacked on the sea will cause your crew members be killed, so if I lost too many crew members during the fights, will there be a chance that there won't have any crew members left for me to recruit?

Because as far as I can tell, all the crew members have their own name and portrait, it will be a little strange to find two different crew members sharing the same portrait (and one of them is already dead).  Or maybe you will create them like you create a hireling?

That’s a good question. In beta after boarding screen displays how many crew members died, however, they don’t die ingame - just get injured. It would be consistent with game mechanics, afterall your party members get injured when knocked out most of the time. However, there are many other events - for example during ship combat a crew member can fell overboard and will drown if not rescued. It is safe to assume crew members can be killed.

In the beta there is a non functional crew members “store”. My guess is, that there will be a pool of unique, recruitanle via quests crew members (like Victor in beta) and a pool of less unique hirelings, whose portraits can repeat, and whose skills are randomised.

Those are different Polish cities. I guess people from Stargard don't like it if you tell them they are in Starograd. ;)

It's like telling a guy from Düsseldorf that Kölsch tastes better than Altbier...

There's also a German place called Stargard by the way. We also have a lot of places called Neuenkirchen and Neukirchen (both basically meaning "New Church"). Not exactly all Bobs and Phillips here... ;)

Thx. That's funny. My sister lives in Neukirchen.

Try not to mix up names in !Xóõ...

Challenge accepted. As long as I don't have to pronounce them, or remember them in a different context, I too never had problems with that. I think, I don't remember the actual words, but the shape of them (The "Wortbild", don't know how it's called in english).

---

We're all doomed

regarding languages:

I am from germany and I have no problems with english ( well, unless they make the game in shakespeare english or even older or the character has a strange dialect)

But I had frech for 4 years in school and it was terrible for me. I had the feeling that you speak only half of the letters that you write and the diffucult part is to find out wich ones.

I guess slavic languages have the same issue. When i read some words, I get the feeling that there are many consonants and little vowels. When there are many letters between the A, E, I, O and U and I try to speak it, it sounds like somebody is choking me. Its worst with the letters C,S,W,Z. Well, I guess it may be the same as the german "sch" where 3 letters are one sound ( as opposed to speaking one letter after the other).

In the german wikipedia Auskunft ( The place where you can ask questions and maybe get answers ) somebody asked for the longest word without vowels. The result was a rather long croatian text where none of the words had any a,e,i,o,u.

Edit: There were problems like this in POE, especially the banshee and the rotten dryad because I have no idea how to use a "W" as vowel.

So I just call them banshee and rotten dryad :p

Edited by Madscientist

Josh stuff from somethingawful. Rogue topic seems to have gotten Josh riled up :)

Our telemetry data shows that of 115 pure rogues made in the Backer Beta, 78 wore leather armor, 22 wore no armor, 6 wore cloth, 6 wore scale, 2 wore padded, and 1 wore a breastplate. No wonder people think they're fragile.

Most of the characters with melee-oriented classes that multiclass with rogue (except monk) still dominantly favor light armor, but they're significantly more likely than pure rogues to be in medium or even heavy armor.

Fintilgin posted:

1. Be a straight up D&D clone so you can play all your favourite D&D archetypes
2. Changing up the archetypes with muscle wizards and plate armor rogues

It's sort of a mixed message.
I don't think it is. If you put a rogue in leather armor, they will be about as fragile as a D&D rogue. So if that's your expectation, expectation met.

What I think is weird is people who complain that rogues are fragile. If you have D&D preconceptions, that's right in line. If you don't, there's nothing that prevents you from putting on heavier armor. Plate and brig aren't necessary to stand in the front line, but medium armor makes a big difference.

We also see this with monks not using weapons, BTW. AFAIK literally all of their special attacks work with melee weapons. People will still complain that their monk came up against a creature immune to Crush and they "couldn't do anything".

If people want to be a leather clad rogue there should be a build that makes that viable.

There is. It's a rogue that emphasizes mobility or ranged attacks. If someone builds a rogue and takes only offensive abilities (i.e. ignores Escape and related abilities) and stands in the front line in light armor, it should not be surprising that such characters fold in half if they are subjected to the focus of enemy attacks. A rogue that emphasizes mobility can absolutely zip out of harm's way very quickly and easily. A rogue that attacks from range can absolutely do fine in light armor.

Octo1 posted:

With monks though, punching things is often the main reason people pick the class. When a monk runs into enemies immune to crush damage it kind of feels like running into enemies immune to sneak attack in d&d.

If you could immediately circumvent that Sneak Attack immunity by switching weapons, sure.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I don't think this is weird, because the D&D rogue isn't overly fragile. Hasn't been for awhile. Ever since the AD&D -> 3e switch, "light armor" hasn't been synonymous with "fragile," it's been synonymous with "dodge," and most current / conventional fantasy tends to fit that, too.

Whether you can get a reasonably high AC or not, a d6 hit die is pretty fragile, especially in the common gameplay level ranges. You can certainly spec out ludicrous high-level rogues (or high-level anything in 3E), but a standard 3E 1st-7th rogue can't take many hits.

Edited by draego
  • Like 2

and more stuff

new phone who dis posted:

Could part of breaking people out of traditional character building stereotypes be as simple as renaming them something unfamiliar? There's a lot to be said about traditional mindsets and people attempting to recreate previous success with similar-sounding things.
Yes, I certainly think this can help a lot.

One of the things I've asked our designers to do is spec out enemy NPCs with non-traditional weapons and armor when sensible to help reinforce that. If you keep running into monks dual-wielding hammers or wizards in mail armor, it might help remind you that you can do the same thing.

It's worth saying ad nauseam that a lot of this goes back to the incredible baggage that comes with class names. Whether you say "rogue" or "wizard" or "fighter" -- or, possibly the worst of the bunch, "ranger" -- each person hearing it will bring with them their personal experiences that that name. Maybe they played AD&D. Or 4th Ed. Or WoW. Or nothing at all. It is not enough for a class to be good and distinct. If it's not what any given person associates with the name, there's a good chance they will have a negative reaction to it -- either in concept or in play.

Edited by draego
  • Like 2

On a note about the weapon switching comments from above. I dont really like the weapon design goals in POE2. I do try to define my character with a couple of weapons from the beginning (to give myself a little flexibility) and dont appreciate playing roulette with weapons the whole game. This is why i dont love the move to even more restrictive weapon itemizations as compared to POE1.  Its not so bad and i can live with it but i do like to define my class which includes weapons and armor at the beginning and try to stick with it and not change it every time i find new weapons and armor. I get sometimes its necessary for maybe a one off fight but gear is part of my characters identity. Not saying i disagree with Josh's points above just voicing how i played POE1.

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

He is correct with every answer. Especially when I read about the "monk/crush immune enemy complaint" I would like to bite into the tabletop.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 5