Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part 2

The slider  :dancing:

It just makes so much sense to do it this way, probably one of the best changes they've implemented.

Yup! But, like somebody else already said in the comments feed beneath that vid, is the slowest on tha slider really slow enough? Perhaps we want syrup slomo mode?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The slider  :dancing:

Like it)

Also it looks to have discrete steps. Hope that there are:

- hotkeys associated with it (something like S - 1 step slower, F - 1 step faster)

- and also a possibility to manually set (in game settings) different speed steps for onEnemyOrTrapSpot, onCombatStart and onCombatEnd (personally I'm almost always running out of combat at fast speed, while for combat do prefer slow speed)

Was that 5 6th level spell options? I'm not sure I'm reading that screen right.

Josh could have learned 3 spells of rank 6 and have 2 more from grimoire. But he's still limited to 2 spell-usages (+1 with empower), so that's likely to increase his versatility (or for testing purposes). Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Josh could have learned 3 spells of rank 6 and have 2 more from grimoire. But he's still limited to 2 spell-usages (+1 with empower), so that's likely to increase his versatility (or for testing purposes).

I think pure wizards get three spells per power level in the current build, because they've changed single class characters to get two skill points every time they reach a new power level, like multiclasses.

The PoE manual is pretty clear that cleric spells do not come from deities, so a faithless clerics do not lose their spells.

Not that a character would need to have spells to be an antagonist. Nor indeed, be alive.

But Durance himself says he is going to stay devoted to Magran until after you defeat Thaos so he can keep his powers and denounce her and start his quest for revenge later.

Durance believes lots of things that may not be true.

A mad faith in the need to destroy all deities should be quite sufficient to fuel some spells.

• Like 2

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

The PoE manual is pretty clear that cleric spells do not come from deities, so a faithless clerics do not lose their spells.

Not that a character would need to have spells to be an antagonist. Nor indeed, be alive.

But Durance himself says he is going to stay devoted to Magran until after you defeat Thaos so he can keep his powers and denounce her and start his quest for revenge later.

Durance believes lots of things that may not be true.

A mad faith in the need to destroy all deities should be quite sufficient to fuel some spells.

Though Durance changing to Paladin might make more sense. Paladins in Pillars are basically defined by priest-level faith in non-religious things.

I get the impression that people don't like Durance or claim that he talks bull**** because they fear in reality that they are more like him then they want to admit.

Come on: Stay to your inner Durance. Say it. Say: Je suis Durance!

• Like 3

---

We're all doomed

I get the impression that people don't like Durance or claim that he talks bull**** because they fear in reality that they are more like him then they want to admit.

Durance himself comes to realise that he has been talking bullstars for most of the game.

I don't dislike the character, but he is eminently suited to villainhood.

Edited by Fardragon

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

And then in the epilogue he becomes quiet and contemplative. If he had have come back, I bet people would have been incredibly disappointed, because he neccesarily would have been a completely different, perhaps even unrecognisable, character.

• Like 1

Durance himself comes to realise that he has been talking bullstars for most of the game.

If Durance becomes a villain then Grieving Mother will probably morph into Woedica. Seriously, she's the most evil character in POE1.

And then in the epilogue he becomes quiet and contemplative. If he had have come back, I bet people would have been incredibly disappointed, because he neccesarily would have been a completely different, perhaps even unrecognisable, character.

“Durance used Magran's strength only until Thaos had been cast from the world and then swore off her influence entirely. Regret came to weigh heavily on his mind, and a man who had never previously lacked for words or opinions came to embrace silence and contemplation.

He continued to wander, penniless and destitute, searching now not for the reason for his goddess's silence, but for a mechanism for revenge. The charred robes he continued to wear as a reminder that he had been burned by his goddess, and not just by the flames of the Godhammer.”

That’s actually why I hope he will show up in Deadfire in some form. I really want to see how he changed through those 5 years. And him following troubles caused by Eothas make sense, though his goals might differ from yours. He also might not be useful as a companion anymore, due to rejecting Magran.

• Like 1

If Durance becomes a villain then Grieving Mother will probably morph into Woedica. Seriously, she's the most evil character in POE1.

For the most evil character in the game, it sure is weird how she's the only one that can actually leave your party if you're a genuinely terrible person yourself.

• Like 4

For the most evil character in the game, it sure is weird how she's the only one that can actually leave your party if you're a genuinely terrible person yourself.

She'll runaway (again) like a coward (again) if you don't say exactly the right things. :/

I think it is arguable. She has a history of casually mind controlling people, which (in my view at least) is pretty much the worst thing that you can do to people in a fantasy world. It's also why a lot of the "oh no, the poor oppressed mages" storylines you get in other games (see Dragon Age) fall completely flat. They're not an oppressed unfairly-maligned minority, anyone capable of mind control genuinely is a dangerous threat to normies.

Edited by CottonWolf
  • Like 1

I was under the impression that whilst their power comes from their own soul, it's their faith that shapes it and gives them priestly abilities. This Durance might need to stay devoted to keep his ability to cast priest spells.

I think it is arguable. She has a history of casually mind controlling people, which (in my view at least) is pretty much the worst thing that you can do to people in a fantasy world.

That’s, of course, assuming that what she did was wrong. And if what she did was wrong than creating false gods to save humans from their own idiocy was wrong. It’s valid to view those things as wrong. It’s valid to view those things as a necessary evil.

• Like 2

Very true. She's the only one who actually does something if you sacrifice Vela; yes, all she does is leave, but it's something. I appreciated that.

Edited by Tarlonniel
  • Like 3

I think it is arguable. She has a history of casually mind controlling people, which (in my view at least) is pretty much the worst thing that you can do to people in a fantasy world. It's also why a lot of the "oh no, the poor oppressed mages" storylines you get in other games (see Dragon Age) fall completely flat. They're not an oppressed unfairly-maligned minority, anyone capable of mind control genuinely is a dangerous threat to normies.

It fall flat in Dragon Age because it totally fail at showing them oppressed until a psychotic Templar or a crazy bloodmage shows up.

• Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

It fall flat in Dragon Age because it totally fail at showing them oppressed until a psychotic Templar or a crazy bloodmage shows up.

I had a joke list of all the Mages just out walking around in the world that the Templars left completely alone. Most of them were evil and/or criminals so not really a good look for either group.

Edited by Valmy

Josh on companions

Zane posted:

Most of the PoE NPC companions simply needed a more fleshed out place in the world. As it stands a lot of them just don't feel substantial enough because they aren't consistently bouncing off of the decisions you make and/or the people you meet throughout the game. They also don't talk enough with each other. Most of the companion inter-relationships can be boiled down to "we don't like Durance and we don't know GM exists." BG2 didn't have a lot more content but it sort of shortcut these problems by making every companion a flamboyant caricature and bouncing them off of each other. Obsidian doesn't traffic in the same caricatures; but there needs to be more reactivity for this more ambivalent (realistic) characterization to pay off.

In Deadfire, the companions interject in conversations much more, NPCs respond to their interjections more, the topic system makes them develop attitudes toward each other, and they're just generally more reactive across the board.

The feedback we received during our internal dev play week was almost (?) universally positive as far as the companions' involvement in the story goes.

and here

There are cases where companions can attack you, but it is more likely that they will simply leave you. They aren't suicidal, and one of them vs. you + four other people is unlikely to go in their favor.

Edited by draego
  • Like 5

Look what I just found here...

More Footage of the Game :

Hm. No ship-to-ship combat. I guess some people will be happy with ship combat becoming melee. I'm a little sad, but it still looks cool.

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like it is just an option to skip ship-to-ship combat. Best of both worlds!

Edited by wahmann1

Look what I just found here...

More Footage of the Game :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xaNw7Y9Dr0

Hm. No ship-to-ship combat. I guess some people will be happy with ship combat becoming melee. I'm a little sad, but it still looks cool.
Naval encounters have always had this option. Just because the footage showed one without the other doesn’t mean anything has changed.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."