Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part 2

I really enjoy Josh’s smackdowns

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

...why are they using muppets for those, again? I seem to have missed something.

I bet they just wanna see what Jack will say now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kgarsten/status/960054625343696897

OMG YAS! I was refreshing comment section for like 15 minutes to see if he will comment on that video as well. xD

Edited by Nanawatzin
  • Like 2

Sawyer SA post responding to someone who doesn't like all the ship stuff.

Responding to a comment that read, in part, "I legit don't understand why they're focusing so much on a feature half the players are probably gonna either hate or ignore":

Because a lot of people are excited about it. Also because if you don't like it, I am okay with people not playing the game because of it. I hope we're done with half-implementing major features and tiptoeing around how integral they are to the game experience (e.g., the Pillars I stronghold) because some people aren't going to like it. I would rather have a big chunk of our players get excited about something like the ships even if that means some people are turned off. IMO, that's vastly preferable to something like the stronghold that, setting aside other problems, is fundamentally secondary to your experience of playing Pillars I. While people liked the Battle of Yenwood Field and the other content leading up to it, the stronghold itself was received with a mixture of "it's okay" to "it's unobtrusive but I still don't like it."
Edited by Enoch
  • Like 6

I agree. Whatever I think of these ship mechanics so far, I am already certain that they are considerably better than the stronghold and much more integrated in the game this time around, and that's very neat indeed.

• Like 6

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

...why are they using muppets for those, again? I seem to have missed something.

Me too, that was weird to watch. At least there was a slight tease about all those codes spread around the media pictures.

I said on the other thread that I predicted this video would be about voice acting, and maybe announcing the voice cast and so on - hence Katrina and Josh doing voicework for muppets. The 'gag' would have made more sense then, but all the same I guess it was humorous in its own way.

That said, maybe my incorrect predictions influenced a bit of my opinion on the backer update too, but... I wasn't too big on it. I'm looking forward to the ship combat system and all but I feel like this video was just a repeat of everything we'd seen in other media regarding this feature up to this point, with little new being added or presented. Granted too that we're about a month away from the release so I guess we really don't need to be shown more new stuff either.

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

It's a pirate game me hearties! Yar don't be likin ships yeal be keelhauled and sent to Davy Jones's locker! Arrrr! 

• Like 2

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

I'm not stoked about ship management, but I can respect that reasoning. If you have a vision you want to realize, go for it. Otherwise, you get something like the keep in Pillars 1, awkwardly trying to be a major thing while also being unobtrusive.

I rather liked the keep. Stats boosts were a nice touch. Bounties were awesome. The attacks could of been better scripted. The dungeon needed just a little more fleshing out, but was still more than efficient on my first run thru.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

A mobile base makes more sense storywise, especially in an archipelago. The keep was ok, but oh so static, the keep in NWN II was more fleshed out, you had actual choices what to build. And since there will be expansions its even more sensible to open up a more or less far away part and take your "keep" with you. For PoE III maybe an airship? ;)

A mobile base makes more sense storywise, especially in an archipelago. The keep was ok, but oh so static, the keep in NWN II was more fleshed out, you had actual choices what to build. And since there will be expansions its even more sensible to open up a more or less far away part and take your "keep" with you. For PoE III maybe an airship? ;)

Yeah, that’s my only concern about the ship system in Deadfire; how are you going to top it in Part 3?

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Yeah, that’s my only concern about the ship system in Deadfire; how are you going to top it in Part 3?

There is this sequel curse, where developers feel obligated to do more and more, because more means a better game (spoiler: it doesn't). 

If Deadfire turns out wonderful, and ship mechanics will deliver - why do it again? Maybe instead of vast caribbean setting we get a more focused adventure. Maybe go for this resource management focused gameplay people claim to crave - exploring White that Wends where every expedition can not return. 

Making every game somewhat unique is a key of not getting repetitive, especially as potential PoE3 will be helmed by a different creative director. Better for him/her to do his/her own thing, that second guessing what Josh would do it like.

IF there is ever a part 3, I'd like it not to have a player base. Maybe only roaming here and there, adventuring and seting camp on the fly like Dragon AGe Origins. I miss this deeling of being an adventurer and not some big guy with power and real estate belongings.

• Like 7

IF there is ever a part 3, I'd like it not to have a player base. Maybe only roaming here and there, adventuring and seting camp on the fly like Dragon AGe Origins. I miss this deeling of being an adventurer and not some big guy with power and real estate belongings.
That may be the case. However it’s a tough sell to remove something that has come to be expected than it is to add something no one was expecting. And in this case, I don’t have to suggest you look any further than the bajillion “a house in balmora mods” that accompany any game with a modding toolkit.
  • Like 1

Spaceships.
  • Like 5

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

That may be the case. However it’s a tough sell to remove something that has come to be expected than it is to add something no one was expecting. And in this case, I don’t have to suggest you look any further than the bajillion “a house in balmora mods” that accompany any game with a modding toolkit.

They could replace it with another mechanic. As long as there will be a fresh idea to focus on, they should be fine. Sure, some folks that really liked ships might be vocally disappointed and accuse game of getting “dumbed down” or somethin’, but that will happen no matter what.