Cipher run - what not to miss?

Ok I decided to try to complete a cipher run to import to Deadfire and I was thinking I might skip some non-essential areas so I'd like to know what areas I should make sure I do not miss!

I don't really need spoilers or details and I am just as interested in great conversation opportunities as I am in places I might score some stuff - just anyplace that can be special for ciphering!  8)

(Aumaua - Deadfire -drifter)

Orwin

M- 14

C-8

D- 14 (+2 gloves for 16)

P-12

I- 18

R-12

Currently outfitted with a Fine Arbalest, pistol (Disapointer w Acc+1) and spear/small shield - Not quite level 4 with standard early companions - 

• Like 2

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Will the Cipher ever use the small shield and spear? I was wondering because I'm going in different directions with the Grieving Mother, the sawed off shotgun and the rifle, when I get the 3rd slot I should go melee?  I'm still going through my first run in the game as a Ranger and am enjoying the heck out of it, the game is getting better the more I play it, it really draws you in.

I like to have a melee option especially since my first two options are very slow - I don't use it a lot but do occasionally - I started with the spear/shield but currently have Whispers of Yenwood and  Hearth Harvest in that slot - I have not taken a weapon focus yet so I am just picking from my current inventory. ( I also am a sucker for Arms Bearer and give it to almost everyone eventually )

I generally use some melee for "clean up" coming in to assist Eder finishing off and occasionally some melee opponents get past him and get in my face and I hate to be cranking the arbalest or reloading the pistol while they whup on my butt especially if focus is down.  :p

Doing De-finance Bay now but wont get much play time if any until Sun. 

• Like 1

Mop-up with the spear and shield makes sense for the cipher, thank you.  One question I always had about switching weapon sets during combat, is it instantaneous or does it take time in combat to switch sets?  

I haven't even been to Defiance Bay yet to start Act II yet doing all the quests (Dyrwood ones too) I can get and going down as far as I can in the stronghold dungeon (down to level 7 now).  I've got everyone levelled up to 7 and will try some bounties before going to DB.  I'm savoring every minute of my first run taking my time and being thorough. Another question:  once I start Act II will there be previous areas that won't be available any more or is every place I had been to still be available?

I don't really know how the mechanics of switching works I just kind of judge by what I see (not at all into the maths   :w00t: )  I do know there's a quick switch option when leveling (Utility area) and I have seen discussions related to it's use for gunslingers in particular but I have never taken it.

I can't think of any area off hand that will not be available as a result of entering Act 2 (or 3 or WM 1&2) altho once you've cleared an area it generally stays clear unless they use it for a bounty or later plot area and unless you are sent someplace most static NPCs don't get any additonal dialogue either with some exceptions (maybe related to factions and or your reputations. (Inns have the same options, stores don't get new items (maybe some exceptions there) etc

Good luck! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Currently in Act 3 with this character - finished WM1   - I think we are at level 9ish Endless Paths and the main group is Eder, Pallegina, Durance, Hivarias, and Aloth.

I am not as pleased with the cipher main as I expected to be - the biggest issue I have is the auto pilot over riding my orders - as we progress I prefer to have him attack at the beginning to build focus before casting - the battle starts (auto-pause) - I choose the cipher - I hit X (stop what you are doing) - I choose a weapon attack - I give out orders to others -  I unpause - cipher is casting whisper of treason aaauuuggghhhhh!  :w00t:

It also seems like there is generally one spell per level that is almost always the "go to" choice making the ciphers contribution kind of boring as well as micro management intense.

Hopefully being able to multi with some sort of rogue in deadfire will make things more interesting ... :ninja:

Currently in Act 3 with this character - finished WM1   - I think we are at level 9ish Endless Paths and the main group is Eder, Pallegina, Durance, Hivarias, and Aloth.

I am not as pleased with the cipher main as I expected to be - the biggest issue I have is the auto pilot over riding my orders - as we progress I prefer to have him attack at the beginning to build focus before casting - the battle starts (auto-pause) - I choose the cipher - I hit X (stop what you are doing) - I choose a weapon attack - I give out orders to others -  I unpause - cipher is casting whisper of treason aaauuuggghhhhh!  :w00t:

It also seems like there is generally one spell per level that is almost always the "go to" choice making the ciphers contribution kind of boring as well as micro management intense.

Hopefully being able to multi with some sort of rogue in deadfire will make things more interesting ... :ninja:

You know you can turn off the AI for a specific character, while leaving the other party members under AI control, right? It's what I ended up doing with my cipher that kept casting Whispers of Treason on Vessels 

You know you can turn off the AI for a specific character, while leaving the other party members under AI control, right? It's what I ended up doing with my cipher that kept casting Whispers of Treason on Vessels 

Yeah I know I can turn it off but I don't want to have to keep up with manual programming every single move or action - I have thought about stacking orders (shift key?)  as well but haven't tried that yet. I already have Durance Aloths and Hivarias per rest turned off and choose their spells manually (so we don't waste them) while Eder and Pallegina mostly run on their own unless they get in trouble. 

Cipher is my fav class, but I can't say there are special areas where they shine, they get the most unique dialogue, but it is spread through the whole game, like general flavour.

I remember doing Eder's personal quest with cipher and also some talk with Grieving Mother. Also maybe in Skaen's temple there is an option to interact more with a certain girl.

But I can't say they are soooo wonderful with cipher and so boring with anyone else.

Also the build is a bit strange. My ciphers usually go like max might, max perception, good int. Resolve, constitution and dex are dumped to min. Shooting things with guns for max damage, no armour, ignoring close combat completely. Picking abilities that are marked "fast" in description, so won't suffer from low dex.

But it is your cipher, of course)

Had a first for me during this cipher run last week when Durance was killed permanently in a scripted encounter in WM 2. We were able to locate his remains later but I am pretty sure we lost some of his items as well - I did not want to continue with no cleric in the party and considered reloading but eventually we went to Stalwart and hired a dwarf priest of Magran and moved on.

Now I am hyped to push on and get this cipher run done so I can complete the game with at least one more of the current characters I have available - pretty sure I can finish my Paladin who is in Act 3 and I also have a druid in Act 2 I might finish and a rogue in act 2 I almost certainly won't finish (I also have a rogue who finished).

The cipher run has been interesting and I suspect I will look closely at a possible cipher/rogue Multi for one of my first Deadfire runs.