Playing without treasure cards

I'm nearing the end of my first playthrough of the main campaign and looking forward to replaying with different characters.

I have been wondering about the wisdom of playing through the campaign without treasure cards - does anyone have any opinions on whether this is a fun thing to do?

I was thinking it would presumably make the game a bit more challenging (because the extra cards from chests etc generally seem to be a bit more powerful).

More importantly (to me) I was also wondering if this would give the game a better flavour e.g. you won't get goblin allies

But I'm wondering if that's just fanciful... presumably you'll still get Bandits in long-buried ruins, Ogres in the General Store and other such immersion-breaking stuff :-)

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Like 1

Other options for making the game more challenging:

Large parties (fewer turns per player)

Solo runs (great way to learn strengths/weaknesses of characters.

Heroic difficulty.

Legendary difficulty.

I’m sure avoiding treasure cards will also do it, but feels kinda arbitrary.

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Yes, playing without treasure cards does make the game a bit more challenging. Take note that you'd still get Promo cards (Poog, Horsechopper, etc.) since they are not considered treasure cards. Only stuff you get from chest will be excluded.

Another way to make game challenging is to play "unballanced parties"... all females, all males, all spellcasters, all human, all non-human, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for responses! So no particular point to playing without Treasure cards by the sounds of it.

By the way if you want to play on Heroic Difficulty with an essentially a new party, presumably I have to:

• Use an existing party slot
  • Remove all your current party members
  • Add in new party members

And then you'll still get feat rewards for completing scenarios with new characters - but not loot rewards (since this party slot has already received them). Is that correct?

Thanks for responses! So no particular point to playing without Treasure cards by the sounds of it.

By the way if you want to play on Heroic Difficulty with an essentially a new party, presumably I have to:

• Use an existing party slot
  • Remove all your current party members
  • Add in new party members
And then you'll still get feat rewards for completing scenarios with new characters - but not loot rewards (since this party slot has already received them). Is that correct?
If any member of your party has completed the scenario, then the subsequent difficulty will be unlocked for all party members and any loot rewards will be considered recovered (so you won’t get them again, even with a mostly new party).
  • Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

If any member of your party has completed the scenario, then the subsequent difficulty will be unlocked for all party members and any loot rewards will be considered recovered (so you won’t get them again, even with a mostly new party).

Mostly true.

You can still cheese the game a little by starting a new party (with only new characters), then transferring in some advanced characters later.

That will then "open" up the scenarios, but since party creation only involved new characters, the party save doesn't get marked as having received any loot cards.

After you beat a loot card scenario, the "new guy" should received the card (if they survive).  :)

Another difference that you should get by eliminating the treasure cards is that the location decks would be constructed with a narrower pool of cards. If there are certain core cards you would like to see more often, you should see them more often by turning off treasure cards. Sometimes I turn off treasure cards because I don't really like playing with orbs. There seems like a really big chance of pulling an orb whenever the card type in question is an item.