Customizing companions in POE2

I know that the dual role character can have one, the other, or both (eg, Edér can be a fighter, a rogue or a swashbuckler). It's been stated that some the current design is that some characters will have the option to multiclass later based on a set of limited options.

As for respecing, I haven't heard anything, but since it's a basic option in POE, I really hope so! As for ability scores, likely no, they're intrinsic to the character.

Unless something changed when recruiting companions your will be able to choose from couple class/multiclass options. You will be able to respec, but not change their class - so if you get Eder and make him a fighter, you won't be able to respec him and make him rogue or swashbuckler. 

• Like 1

If you want to customize your companions further than the game allows, there will probably be a mod that allows you to do so pretty soon after release.

Honestly, you don't even need a mod; you can customize your character stats yourself in the game files.  It's pretty easy to mod the game since the game files are a lot more open this time.

• Like 1

Knowing how Josh feels about ability scores, I am going to predict that they will be set in stone.

I for one would love it if everything about the character, aside from their race & appearance, was customizable.

At the very least we need to be able to customise their starting talents.

Given they already have limited classes, I'd be completely unsurprised if their level 1 talents are fixed for those classes.

If you want to customize your companions further than the game allows, there will probably be a mod that allows you to do so pretty soon after release.

Honestly, you don't even need a mod; you can customize your character stats yourself in the game files.  It's pretty easy to mod the game since the game files are a lot more open this time.

Oh!  Please post a detailed explanation on how to do this!  I am super interested

Unless something changed when recruiting companions your will be able to choose from couple class/multiclass options. You will be able to respec, but not change their class - so if you get Eder and make him a fighter, you won't be able to respec him and make him rogue or swashbuckler. 

if Gromnir takes companions, we take 'em as is.  can always take a hireling if we don't like the companion.  

however, am gonna note we have little patience for the mechanics thresholds.  if you don't have one companion with at least 15 perception and another with maxed mechanics, you is gonna be consistent failing a significant % of traps and lockpick opportunities.  cut-scene traps and puzzles could be fun, but the traditional crpg trap/lockpick mechanic is mindless replicated in these games with no genuine gameplay value as far as we can see.  worse, poe/deadfire has adopted the utter idiotic class bonus for skills nonsense.  coulda' simple made backgrounds more significant and complete exorcised skill bonuses linked to class choice, but nope, that were one o' the anachronisms obsidian chose to mindless repeat in poe.  

we don't want hirelings our firstest run.  at the same time we don't necessarily wanna have edér be a swashbuckler or rogue just so we more consistent succeed traps/locks traps compared to some other companion (with the exception o' the blue monkey) with no bonus to mechanics. developer makes plentiful traps and locks whereby we fail frequent if we do not have a rogue or cipher in party with max mechanics? stoopid.  

am likely to add gloves o' manipulation to our party the first time our tap/lock companion inevitable fails 'cause they ain't a rogue or cipher with the hunter or artist background.  failing such, we will lament, at least momentarily, our inability to respec companions via retrain so they have adequate mechanics.   so yeah, we concede our own extreme limited hypocrisy on this issue. 

complete aside, am current running betas with the following hireling loadout:

human swashbuckler-- edér 

moon godlike theurge-- tekehu

human contemplative-- xoti

wood elf mage-- aloth

am figuring this is gonna be our party for deadfire, so might as well see now how best to combine skills and abilities n' synergies.  yeah, am suspecting tekehu is gonna be other than a stock moon godlike and xoti doesn't exact follow eothas, but am getting a feel for party dynamic.  the thing is, the only reason we got edér as a swashbuckler is 'cause am figuring he and serafen is our best option for a trap/lock companion who won't be consistent failing sans the benefit o' gloves o' manipulation or some kinda console cheat. is an unfortunate party need. stoopid anachronism.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We should be able to respec and level from level 1. I guess on recruitment we can pick one of three options, one or two single classes and one or two multiclasses. For instance Eder can be a Fighter, Rogue, or SwashBuckler while Aloth can either be a Wizard, Wizard/Somethingelse, or Wizard/somethingelse. The something else hasn't been revealed for Aloth, Kana's sister, or Palengina yet.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm almost certain you'll be able to level them from lvl 1, you could in Pillars. All that was set was their starting ability. Every level up after that you had full control. The devs giving their level 1 abilities gives them authorial control to ensure they have skills that they have to have for narrative reasons.

I'm almost certain you'll be able to level them from lvl 1, you could in Pillars. All that was set was their starting ability. Every level up after that you had full control. The devs giving their level 1 abilities gives them authorial control to ensure they have skills that they have to have for narrative reasons.

lmao

Thanks, but that's not what I was looking for.

He said via game files.

Within the PoE2 install folder is /PillarsOfEternity2_Data/exported/design/gamedata. This contains a number of .gamedatabundle files, these are just JSON files. Notepad++ can open these and you can get a plugin to restructure the data into a human readable format from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/nppjsonviewer/

• Create an 'override' folder in /PillarsOfEternity2/ and create a 'gamedata' folder within your 'override' folder so the filepath is now /PillarsOfEternity2_Data/override/gamedata.
  • Copy the game files you want to modify into this new 'gamedata' folder, to modify attributes you need the 'bb_characters.gamedatabundle' file.
  • Open this in Notepad++, use Ctrl+A to select all and the JSON viewer plugin to restructure the file to be human readable.
  • Delete any GameData entry that you do not want to modify, leaving just the entries you want
  • Make your changes and save
  • Like 1

Thanks, but that's not what I was looking for.

He said via game files.

Within the PoE2 install folder is /PillarsOfEternity2_Data/exported/design/gamedata. This contains a number of .gamedatabundle files, these are just JSON files. Notepad++ can open these and you can get a plugin to restructure the data into a human readable format from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/nppjsonviewer/

• Create an 'override' folder in /PillarsOfEternity2/ and create a 'gamedata' folder within your 'override' folder so the filepath is now /PillarsOfEternity2_Data/override/gamedata.
  • Copy the game files you want to modify into this new 'gamedata' folder, to modify attributes you need the 'bb_characters.gamedatabundle' file.
  • Open this in Notepad++, use Ctrl+A to select all and the JSON viewer plugin to restructure the file to be human readable.
  • Delete any GameData entry that you do not want to modify, leaving just the entries you want
  • Make your changes and save

Thanks!